Titan Z released!

Not a single performance review to be found lol. Nvidia must be embarrassed of the thing, as they should be.

Heh, its not really a gaming card. At least they aren't marketing it as one.

As I posted in another thread, EVGA will be releasing 3 versions of this if any of you are interested (and willing) in buying a Z:
- stock-cooled Titan Z
- Superclocked Titan Z
- Hydro Cooler Titan Z for those who want to water cool it

DigitalStorm reviewed the Z here:
http://www.digitalstormonline.com/u...tx-titan-z-review-and-4k-benchmarks-idnum280/

Yes, I know they're a company that makes high end gaming computers, but it's so far the only review I've seen of the Titan Z. For a $3000 card, it performs as good or slightly faster as the $1500 295X2. So, in other words, paying for nearly equivalent performance for twice the price if looking at the review correctly. It seems Battlefield 4 is the only one the Z seems to be doing better than the 295X2, but only slightly faster than the 295X2 if Mantle is enabled.

Nvidia might as well number these to 300 and ship them in a wooden crate like Phoenix Gold limited edition amplifiers were sold back in the day. Son of Frank Amp'N Stein I think it was called. Although I always wanted one I didn't want to spend $2,500 for it. I did buy the single amps though. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0o_2uADNh4

NVIDIA did not sample TITAN Z to the press. We have requested to get one.

Remember all of the "retail sample" 290 reviews? Maybe AMD will buy you guys a Titan-Z. ;) I think it would be worth the investment to get a real gaming review site to review it. You have to think that under prolonged game play that it's performance will drop as it warms up. Nobody else (least of which a retailer who wants to sell them) is going to test it in anything except 1-2 minute benches and it will look fine in that situation.

So what we are really looking at here is a really killer deal on a Tesla package...... Just like the original Titan.....

So NVIDIA went ahead and released it without changing anything and still asking for $3K.... right.

Of course they refuse to admit defeat, still thinking that price tag is justifiable, the only good thing that it has 6GB of VRAM and that's it. Other than that the card is an epic failure at that price point. Hell, you can even get a pair of Titan Blacks or 780TI and runs faster and is much cheaper too.

Heh, its not really a gaming card. At least they aren't marketing it as one.

They are marketing it as a gaming card, in fact I cannot find a single mention of its compute power on their web page or by EVGA/MSI.

Here is what Nvidia's website has to say:

http://www.nvidia.com/gtx-700-graphics-cards?m=gtx-titan-z said:
GeForce® GTX™ TITAN Z is a gaming monster, the fastest card we’ve ever built to power the most extreme PC gaming rigs on the planet. Stacked with 5760 cores and 12 GB of memory, this dual GPU gives you the power to drive even the most insane multi-monitor displays and 4K hyper PC machines.

Here is what EVGA says for its product description on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JZ4SN4C said:
GeForce GTX TITAN Z is a gaming monster, built to power the most extreme gaming rigs on the planet. With amassive 5760 cores, 12 GB of 7 Gbps GDDR5 memory, and the most advanced power delivery system, GTXTITAN Z offers truly insane performance. It's easily the fastest graphics card we've ever made.GTX TITAN Z is designed with the highest-grade components to deliver the best experience - incredible speedand cool, quiet performance-all in a stunningly crafted aluminum case.The groundbreaking dual-GPU GTX TITAN Z uses new dynamic power balancing technology that ensures peakperformance across two GPUs with optimal power delivery. This means you can game on multi-monitor displaysand hyper PCs at high setting and super-fast frame rates. With support for NVIDIA SLI, you can even add asecond card and immerse yourself in graphically intense games like Watch Dogs in full 4K Surround.

Here is what MSI has to say:

http://hexus.net/tech/items/graphics/70337-msi-releases-gtx-titan-z/ said:
MSI, innovator in graphics cards, is pleased to announce the availability of the NVIDIA GeForce GTX TITAN Z utilizing the world's most powerful GPU. With two Kepler GPUs and 12GB of dedicated frame buffer memory, GTX TITAN Z is engineered for next-generation 5K and multi-monitor gaming. With two GK110 chips, GTX TITAN Z is powered by a total of 5,760 processing cores. GTX TITAN Z gives you truly amazing performance-easily making it the fastest graphics card we've ever made. NVIDIA GPU Boost 2.0 technology allows the core clock to be automatically adjusted on the fly for optimal in-game performance. When used with the MSI Afterburner overclocking utility, the power limit and clock offset can be adjusted as well for better overclocking capability. A single card can also support NVIDIA 3DVision Surround technology for up to four monitors to give gamers the best viewing experience. The MSI GeForce GTX TITAN Z is the best choice for serious gamers.

Last edited:
I imagine with the 6GB per core that Watch Dogs will run pretty awesome on this card. But the price is not good. For that I'd get 2 6GB 780 cards and OC them to the max stable to easily out-perform this card and keep over $1000 in my pocket.

In this video posted yesterday, they sure seemed to talk a lot about the TitanZ and "gaming"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iww4DdPMdbs

If this thing is officially $3k, they are high on crack. I think with all the people who have paid 1k for Titans have Nvidia thinking they can push dual gpu card prices this high. I don't think any gaming video card should ever cost over 1k (well I could see $1200 tops for a dual gpu card).

I see an unoccupied spot for a 3rd PCIe power connector... A $3000 should use it an NOT be TDP limited.

nVidia is milking their 6GB cards as long as they possibly can.

wake me when they release the GTX 880 on 20nm

Ditto for me. Titan Z is a friggin' joke. $3000 for a GPU that can't even slightly outperform the competition's dual GPU card that's around half the price? Crack pipe in full effect.

Ditto for me. Titan Z is a friggin' joke. $3000 for a GPU that can't even slightly outperform the competition's dual GPU card that's around half the price? Crack pipe in full effect.
Sounds like the card is a solid piece of kit if it's hanging right along side the competition on performance.

It's the price that you disagree with, which is fine, but keep is straight :p

NVIDIA did not sample TITAN Z to the press. We have requested to get one.

When I read somewhere else that NVidia just released a $3000 GPU, I immediately came here hoping to get some information on it out of curiosity. I hope you guys can get one because I want to read about how a $3000 video card can game. It better be damn good considering ATI gives you one helluva card that comes stock with water cooling for half the price. What in the world is going on when video cards are reaching these kind of price points. While the Viper for years was Dodge's halo car, at least the performance matched the price.

So what we are really looking at here is a really killer deal on a Tesla package...... Just like the original Titan.....
Of course they refuse to admit defeat, still thinking that price tag is justifiable, the only good thing that it has 6GB of VRAM and that's it. Other than that the card is an epic failure at that price point. Hell, you can even get a pair of Titan Blacks or 780TI and runs faster and is much cheaper too.
There is the catch right there. Lets just remove the 780ti from the argument to compare on a feature by feature basis, just in case the purchaser needs some of the specific features of a Titan card.

You can not argue this card is some amazing Tesla or CUDA development card when this card costs more than purchasing 2 of the very same cards it is based on. The Titan Z will also perform less than 2 Titan Blacks since the ones on the Titan Z are underclocked and only being cooled by 1 fan, so it is likely thermally limited as well.

2 Titan Blacks currently costs $2,200.
1 Titan Z (2 underclocked Titan Blacks on 1 PCB) is $3,000 - $3,200.

IMHO, the Titan Z is at least $1,000 overpriced for what it is, and that is simply to keep it from being deemed obsolete by similar products from Nvidia that can perform the same tasks for less money. Nvidia is out of their minds.

-edit- The only thing the Titan Z has going for it is the amount of slots it takes up. If the goal is to shove as many GPU's as possible into a build, then 2 Titan Z's would be the way to go. I don't think this justifies the price premium. Even then there are motherboards with 7 PCIe x16 slots and you could get 4 Titan Blacks to slot in if you had the right case. You could easily spend the thousands saved on going with Titan Blacks to get the appropriate motherboard and case for the build.

Last edited:
The only thing the Titan Z has going for it is the amount of slots it takes up.
That's why many people in the Small-Form-Factor section are excited about this card, price be damned.

It lets you get GTX Titan SLI into a Mini-ITX motherboard. That's absolutely nuts!

It also doesn't have a water cooler hanging off of it, which means a lot more options as far as small SFF cases go. Going to be interesting to see some builds using this card.

That's why many people in the Small-Form-Factor section are excited about this card, price be damned.

It lets you get GTX Titan SLI into a Mini-ITX motherboard. That's absolutely nuts!

It also doesn't have a water cooler hanging off of it, which means a lot more options as far as small SFF cases go. Going to be interesting to see some builds using this card.

Price be damned indeed.

The biggest concern to the SFF crowd is the fact the Titan Z uses 3 slots. If they stick with the supplied air cooling, they will have to have a case that will fit it. I'm not saying it can't be done, but they are going to run into some obstacles. There are few mini-itx specific cases with 3 expansion slots, most only have 2. They could modify their case if they are inclined, but that may ruin an otherwise beautiful case. Moving to a 4 slot case means they can get Micro-Atx motherboard compatibility, then you are right back to the argument I listed in my previous post making it pointless to go mini-itx.

If they decide to go watercooling, they can get it down to 2 slots if they either cut the bracket or find a spare Titan Black bracket to bolt onto it. The next issue is finding a waterblock, and I haven't seen any company put one out yet.

The biggest concern to the SFF crowd is the fact the Titan Z uses 3 slots. If they stick with the supplied air cooling, they will have to have a case that will fit it. I'm not saying it can't be done, but they are going to run into some obstacles.
Not really, just snag the ncase M1 from here: http://www.ncases.com/v2/m1.php

One of the smallest (by volume) mini-ITX cases around, and it has 3 slots :D

Check out [H]'s own SFF section. Most of the currently-active threads in there are about this very case.

Last edited:
Sounds like the card is a solid piece of kit if it's hanging right along side the competition on performance.

Sounds like he is keeping it straight.

He said it can't slightly outperform the competition
You said hanging right in there with the competition

Please explain to me what's so different about what he said vs what you said?

He said it can't slightly outperform the competition
Which isn't really accurate. I've seen benchmarks where it trades blows with the competition just fine.

You said hanging right in there with the competition
Good, you caught my correction :D

Please explain to me what's so different about what he said vs what you said?
What I said was accurate?

The hardware is fine, the price is not. That's quite different from saying the whole thing sucks.

Last edited:

Uh...that's exactly what I said. It's hangs around the competition in terms of performance, but it's twice the price. Don't know how much more straight I could've kept that. :confused:

Which isn't really accurate. I've seen benchmarks where it trades blows with the competition just fine.

Good, you caught my correction :D

What I said was accurate?

The hardware is fine, the price is not. That's quite different from saying the whole thing sucks.

Trades blows isn't outperforming. Sounds like you don't understand what he's saying. You guys said the same thing. This card would even underperforms it's predecessor when SLI'd while costing 50% more. If there was an accuracy prize, I doubt you'd more votes than he.

Back