Fiber Optic Modem Recommendation

fenton06

2[H]4U
I will be moving into a new apartment the middle/end of July and it comes with CenturyLink Fiber Internet, and included a modem/router combination. I would like to use my own router (I am looking at getting a Microtik) and modem, but I can't seem to find a fiber optic modem?

Would I be better off just hooking up my router to the modem/router combo, essentially negating the router aspect?

I'm pretty sure you're just going to get an ethernet jack to plug into. The "modem" is in the building MPOE.

I will be moving into a new apartment the middle/end of July and it comes with CenturyLink Fiber Internet, and included a modem/router combination. I would like to use my own router (I am looking at getting a Microtik) and modem, but I can't seem to find a fiber optic modem?

Would I be better off just hooking up my router to the modem/router combo, essentially negating the router aspect?

I'm not familiar with the specifics of CenturyLink's fiber install but most FTTH installs (most of them Verizon FIOS) I've seen the Optical Network Terminator (ONT) acts as the modem. You should simply be able to hook up your router WAN port in to the ONT and get an IP via DHCP.

Most if not all fiber doesn't need a modem. You'll either get an ethernet handoff from the ONT or fiber right to the router.

So in theory be able to just plug in my router and BAM internet? I'll have to look closer once I move in...

The way the fiber connection works is as follows:

1. You get an ONT (Optical Network Terminal) installed that receives the fiber connection and either outputs to ethernet or coax.

2. You connect your own or provided modem to the ethernet or coax (this type of connection is called MOCA).

3. When you request information, your router sends the query to the ONT.

4. The ONT passes the query to the fiber endpoint.

5. The endpoint broadcasts the response to the entire fiber network in your area. This broadcast has a prefix that is curtailed to your ONT.

6. Your ONT checks the message and if the prefix matches, it passes the message along to your roluter and from there on to you.

OK, I have successfully moved into the new apartment and checked out the Router / Modem Situation. It is Century Link fiber, and the model supplied is a FR1000Z. It only has an ethernet cable running into the router, so should I be able to hook up any router and be able to receive an IP address via DHCP?

Looking into getting this one.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
FR1000Z is not a modem, it's a router/gateway just like the RouterBoard.
//Danne

FR1000Z is not a modem, it's a router/gateway just like the RouterBoard.
//Danne

A yes would have sufficed. :p The router config page says router/modem, I had a hunch it was just a router. Thanks for the info!

Back