CRYENGINE Subscription Plan On Steam

Pretty cool but I think UE4 one-ups them with source code support, which is huge.

The sad fact is games are created for consoles primarily so we won't see amazing graphics these engines are capable of in games. :(
Likely they will pull the old bait and switch. Create some demos for trade shows that take advantage of the engine, and show mind blowing visuals but the released title is scaled back for cross platform release.

Not a game designer (working on a design for a game, though, so I'm interested). But, why is this inferior to UE4? From what I've seen, Cryengine is pretty capable.

CRYENGINE (God I hate typing that in caps) is ahead of UE4 in a lot of areas, but if the former doesn't have source code support, its commercial applicability is limited.

The reason the UE4 subscription is better is because you can use whatever version you have subscribed at indefinitely, even if you cancel it. Whereas Cryengine stops working when your subscription is done.

While I am pretty amazed at some of the dev side of things I have seen demo'd with UE4, I think it's worth pointing out that on top of the $20 a month subscription they also require royalties for commercial projects.

CRYENGINE does not require royalties, well, as long as you don't use the Wwise sound library in a commercial project.

i hate how engine demos always show off realistic faces and yet we are still stuck on character models that come right out of the uncanny valley with barely existant facial animation and textures ripped from the ps2 era.

Back