Microsoft's CEO: Xbox Isn't Going Anywhere

HardOCP News

[H] News
Microsoft's CEO has put all that talk of an Xbox spin-off to rest.

Microsoft's CEO Satya Nadella says he has no plans to sell off the company's Xbox business, despite longtime urging from investors. Speaking at the Code Conference, taking place this week in Rancho Palos Verdes in California, Nadella said flat out that Xbox would be sticking around. "I have no intent to do anything different with Xbox than we are doing today," Nadella told interviewers Kara Swisher and Walt Mossberg.

Investors are good for money. However, most have no real business sense.

I get the feeling that if it happens, the first warning we're going to get is going to be notification of the actual sale. He obviously has no reason to say they are going to sell it before anything is set in stone.

I guess if they do that, it will instantly go under as a separate company.
I am sure is not about not wanting to separate, maybe no one will buy it.

Never under value brand recognition.

The more places your brand is placed, the more recognition it gets.

Even if a unit is struggling, you should keep it if it has a huge user base.

CEO rules #101

I don't know why they bothered with the xbone. Microsoft has the resources to deliver a 'cloud' gaming product like what Onlive or whatever it was called tried to do. Then any machine with internet access and a USB port for a controller is suddenly an XboX.

I dont know why everyone thinks this is a bad thing.
NEC Spun off The TurboGrafx 16 in the US to TTI back in 1993. It kept it from tanking and we actually got good games in the US after NEC was out of the picture. It didn't save the system (The damage was already done), but it sure lasted longer this way then if NEC was still heading it. (NEC was offered exclusive rights to the first Mortal Kombat by Midway. They refused. One example of stupid.)

If there are better people to steer the ship, it can only do good, unlike leaving the suits that have no clue what they are doing in charge.

They do have 20/20 hindsight, and the XBox has been a business failure.

It's not a business failure, I'm sure it's profitable they just did a terrible job with design and direction. They are fixing the later (I believe in Phil Spencer).

They do have 20/20 hindsight, and the XBox has been a business failure.

Business failure? Their attempt at getting into the living room is a business failure? I would say exactly the opposite, they have established a foot hold over the years that they can take advantage of.

Otherwise, by your definition, D Day was a failure with all those deaths on the allies side.

Financial failure isn't a real failure though, xbox has always had long term goals that go outside of the profitability of that division. Amazon is a financial failure but it's hard to say amazon in itself is a failure.

Isn't this the same Microsoft that said "The Kinect isn't going anywhere" not too long ago.

Back