Hacker-Turned-Informant to Be Freed After Helping Feds

HardOCP News

[H] News
Seven months? How many years was this guy facing when he initially plead guilty? Wow.

Monsegur helped the FBI "disrupt or prevent at least 300 hacks" against the military, Congress and "several private companies," prosecutors wrote, adding that “Monsegur’s actions prevented at least millions of dollars in loss to these victims.” Monsegur was sentenced by Judge Loretta Preska to time already served – some seven months.

He also helped our govt. hack thousands of government websites and corporations by feeding private 0days to the lulzsec crew which probably knocked off a significant chunk of time.

so how long till a very anti-govt group with ties to organized crime or other evil traits... has some guys, who know some guys, go and pay this guy a visit?

I'm neutral when it comes to aiding a spying govt vs taking down a group of (probably bad) people... but he's going to be looking over his shoulder for a very long time now.

Personally I'd have made a deal with the govt where they SAY they kept me in prison, but actually let me go.

so how long till a very anti-govt group with ties to organized crime or other evil traits... has some guys, who know some guys, go and pay this guy a visit?

I'm neutral when it comes to aiding a spying govt vs taking down a group of (probably bad) people... but he's going to be looking over his shoulder for a very long time now.

Personally I'd have made a deal with the govt where they SAY they kept me in prison, but actually let me go.

Maybe the govt want him dead just as much as the other guys? He already served his purpose why keep a hacker around.

Honestly though. Did anyone expect him not to get off with a light sentence?

You get idiots like Jeremy Hammond whose default answer for everything is "Fuck The Man". He got an entire law review journal thrown at him. Even then, he went to a medium/minimum security "country club" prison. Not a high/max/supermax (as his idiot fanboys would have you believe).

Then you have a guy who gets caught and realizes he's been a fucking moron, especially since he's responsible for two minor cousins who'll go to the state if he goes away. He was given the option to help catch his compatriots or go to prison, screwing his family over.

Thickness:
Blood > Water

Now there's a lot of people screaming about how bad this guy is. How he has no spine. Etc. Etc.
REALLY easy to do that from a comfy chair behind a computer monitor "someplace".

The reality is, most of these "Internet Brave Guys" would piss themselves and fold just as fast should some three-letter agency knock on their door with a "Your life is over" warrant.

Exactly. There is going to be people trying to track this guy for a long time.

The reality is, most of these "Internet Brave Guys" would piss themselves and fold just as fast should some three-letter agency knock on their door with a "Your life is over" warrant.

I feel like this answers the question very well. He basically was hot crap when he was untouchable, but once someone knocked on his door he became a wimp. Not saying that I wouldn't as well.

hax-lol-k-noob.jpg

I think you've been watching too many Jason Bourne movies. The average American is going to be posting their activism on Facebook and then go about watching the next episode of Walking Dead or Duck Dynasty.

Back