Sex Cams At NASA And Library Of Congress?

HardOCP News

[H] News
I'm not saying that all anti-piracy outfits are a bunch of idiots but, if anyone fit that description, it would definitely be these guys. ;)

An adult media company's hiring of an anti-piracy outfit to blitz the Internet for content infringing on its webcam copyrights has produced ridiculous results. Takedowns have been issued for content hosted at NASA, eBay, The Daily Mail and coding site Github. The 'best' target? A 'pirate' newspaper from 1871 published on the Library of Congress.

This will become more and more common until there are real repercussions for filing invalid reports. The RedHat story the other day ( http://torrentfreak.com/open-source-chief-at-redhat-hit-with-bogus-copyright-claims-149522/ ) shows a pretty clear trend where these copyright policing methods are not just fallible, but that there is no real onus to improve them. The excuse gets made the inaccurate reports don't necessarily constitute "bad faith", but the requirements for a DMCA takedown notice include to state that, “under penalty of perjury, that the information contained in the notification is accurate;”. I don't see any grey area there.

There needs to be penalties for filing bad take down notices, or limits to how many requests you can make. Otherwise take down bots are going to flood the internet and cause all kind of problems for everyone with a server.

There needs to be penalties for filing bad take down notices, or limits to how many requests you can make. Otherwise take down bots are going to flood the internet and cause all kind of problems for everyone with a server.

As I was reading the story that exact image popped into my head... spam bots are sooo yesterday... :/

As I was reading the story that exact image popped into my head... spam bots are sooo yesterday... :/

Exactly. Who needs spam bots and DDoS attacks when you can legally flood companies with false take down requests.

Change a processing fee for a takedown request, at least would encourage them to make bots that aren't as idiotic as those ones.

Change a processing fee for a takedown request, at least would encourage them to make bots that aren't as idiotic as those ones.

More like start sending offenders to federal prosecutors. No reason to punish the little guys for the abuse of the big guys. These notices are sent under penalty of perjury.

Back