Solid Gaming and All-Around 24"?

Agrajag

Weaksauce
I currently have an HP w2408h that I really, really enjoy. However, it's getting old now and thinking of replacing it.

24" size is fine. This one is 1920x1200 and I suspect I'd like to keep that resolution unless someone has an idea on why I should change.

I also love the stand as it's really flexible. being able to easily change height is a key for me. I will go nuts if I get a monitor who's height is simply too high for me and I can't change it. I also like being able to tilt to angle it down just a tad.

Getting older now. Don't watch very much on the monitor (movies and such) and mainly use it to browser and play games. These days my FPS'ing seems mainly behind me (used to be a top-clan guy). I'd like something solid there in case I decide to jump back in but now I play a lot of older games like Company of Heroes (1, not 2) and so forth. I have an Nvidia GTX 770 with 4GB RAM to couple this with and the current monitor will move to my right side as a second monitor (which is now a crap Lenovo) but no third monitor.

I don't need speakers in the monitor. Usually crap anyway. USB hub? Eh. I can have it but it's not a big deal. My G19 keyboard has USB's on it though they're 2.0.

Price? Based on what I've seen, not too worried about it.

What should I be looking at?

Given the age of it and the way monitors are being manufactured nowadays....

the cheapest full HD 24" monitor you can find and personally like. So based on what you've said, the cheapest 24"montior with an articulating monitor stand.

Really isn't much point as "gaming" today is tomorrow's low end.

Any idea WHAT monitor that might be that people like?

Oh, I should also mention flight simulators. That's the other remaining passion but that shouldn't make a huge difference in monitors.

Unfortunately 'cheapest full 24" monitor with an articulating stand' isn't really drilling down the litany of options it seems. I'm 50 now. In my "day" BenQ was crap. Acer was crap. Asus was iffy. Dell? Hit and miss. HP total crap (I'm amazed I like this monitor and it was recommended years ago for me right from these very forums). The big player was ViewSonic and NEC before that. Trying to get a sense of who the best players are, if I want TFT or IPS and what I should be prepared to accept.

Eizo! Forgot them. One of my old favorite brands, back when it was Nanao. Awesome stuff.

The W2408 is glossy and there are no new glossy 1920x1200 monitors, but there lots of glossy 27" 1440p available for under 400$.

From my recommendations thread.

Best 1920x1200, LED PWM Dimming Free (Side Effects) IPS panels:

Use Google or Chrome to translate the reviews.

Asus PB248QE: Matte PRAD, =DEAD= and ExtraHardware CZ Reviews.

Asus VS24AH-P & AL: Matte =DEAD='s VS24AH Review & PRAD's Review (this version has a height adjustable stand). The VS24AHL has a height adjustable stand.

BenQ BL2411PT: Matte (thread with reviews and user reports)

HP Z24i: Semi-Glossy (Thread with Reviews and user experiences). The Z24i commonly suffers from color and brightness uniformity issues.

NEC P242W: Semi-Glossy. My Review and PRAD's Review.

Samsung S24A850D: Semi-Glossy. Albovin's, =DEAD='s & Extrahardware CZ Reviews. Launch units commonly suffered from back-lit bleeding.

The Asus PB248Q (not available in North America), BenQ BL2411PT, NEC P242W and Samsung S24A850D can scale 16:9 signals properly when connected to an external device like a console while the VS24AH can't. The VS24AH is the best choice for PC-only use while the S24A850D and NEC P242W are the best all-around monitors, but both are expensive and the P242W has a frame of input lag and is a waste of money unless calibrated with NEC's Spectraview Kit.

Last edited:
NCX --

Any chance you could compare these to the AOC q27. I realize it is 27 vs 24; but given the price point (the VS2AH is 1/2 the price but the Benq, samsung and nec are all similar to the 27). While I have a slight preference for the 24 inch in size I already own a Q27 so I can get a better understanding of how these monitors compare to it. While my usage is PC only I'm concern that the VS244H would have issues with blu-ray (1080p) via PC.

First 4k 24" Gsync monitor comes out I'm buying...
unless it's that BenQ then no way =)

Back