ASRock C2750D4I 64GB ram?

MachNine

n00b
I would really appreciate some input here.
I am building atleast two machines, one as a server, one as a UTM (think security onion) my exact needs are impossible to know atm and I want to leave room to grow so I am trying to leave as much flexibility as I can.
I plan on building atleast one of them off of an ASRock C2750D4I so this is what I will be buying first and will be testing some network security monitoring with it at times, and at other times using it as vm server.

This is my first server build.

This board is supposed to hold up to 64GB of ECC ram but I cant find any examples of anyone actually doing it, the QVL list is kind of sparse and I have seen some people have had problems with some of the ram on the list (i dont know if they knew what they were doing) and there are many reports of ram not on the list working fine. I'm running in circles with my research and don't have much information to make a decision. So maybe you can help me out.
http://www.asrockrack.com/general/productdetail.asp?Model=C2750D4I#Memory QVL

Only 4 dimms so I need 16GB sticks if I want to get to 64

1. Is it better to buy 64 gigs now so I know they will all match? Or can I buy 16 or 32 and just add on later. If for any reason I think 64 gigs is overkill for my server I can just use the extra ram on a similar board I would be using (will be building atleast one server and a UTM for network security monitoring)
2. Is there any chance that 2 16GB sticks of ram that work on this board will not work when 4 are used to get to 64GB?
3. I know its been asked before but for this cpu/build 1333 or 1600 ECC

I like the idea of an inexpensive mini itx server array with same or similar machines that are well suited for different tasks, seems easier to manage. But if you see anything wrong with what im doing feel free to let me know.

Thanks in advance.

I recieved an email this morning from asrockrack saying that memphis 16GB ECC and non ECC unbuffered ram for this board works and is currently available. They said I can purchase it through asrock $295 for non-ECC and $330 for the ECC (16GB UDIMM's). Lead time is 4 weeks after order is confirmed. They asked how many sticks I would need so they can contact the vendor and arrange it and asked if it would be ok with me to pay by T/T in advance. I don't even know what that means. I think the company is probably trustworthy but I don't think I want to be the first to try this but hopefully it helps someone else, I'd be interested to see how it goes. Maybe there will be more information and options a little further on down the road.
I had fun touring the location the lady emailed me from in google street view.
ASRock
No. 37, Section 2, Zhongyang South Road
Taiwan 112

Back