Quantum Compass: The Successor to GPS?

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
The UK government is developing what could be the successor to GPS for use on its submarines. Just as the GPS systems began their existence as military only use, the ‘Quantum Compass’ may one day be the standard for location technology.

If a quantum compass ever makes its way into your smartphone, it will probably still be paired with some sort of GPS system. It needs a point of reference to calculate your position with those super-cooled atoms. Of course, it might only need to fire up the GPS once every few days or weeks to recalibrate the compass.

Didn't read the article. Not going to. The author is to smart for me. It would probably be over my head. I wonder if he visited the ATM machine after writing about a GPS system.

Our military definitely needs something besides GPS, in case GPS satellites get shot down or jammed.

cant better accelerometer be made? seems like going to a lot of trouble for more precise accelerometers.
As the article reads, this is not a 'compass', If it was, it would probably be worse than any current system, since the magnetic fields of earth move around and such.

No, this tech will never be miniaturized.

Back