Microsoft Introduces Surface Pro 3

HardOCP News

[H] News
On Tuesday, Microsoft Corp. introduced Surface Pro 3 — the lightweight tablet that packs the power and performance you expect from a laptop. Surface Pro 3 is a tablet and a laptop: multiple processor, RAM and storage options intersect with a sleek design that, with a simple snap or click, transform the device from a perfectly balanced tablet to a full-functioning laptop and back again — all in a beautiful package that is 30 percent thinner than an 11-inch MacBook Air. Its stunning 12-inch display and new, continuous kickstand provide the screen real estate and multiple viewing angles people need for work and play. And the new Surface Pen — completely redesigned with form and function in mind — delivers a precise, luxurious drawing and note-taking experience with a single click of the pen.

WTF????

256GB/i7 in US = $1,549.00
in UK = $2,261.69

I guess I could fly to Arizona, shoot some fully autos, buy a Surface pro 3, fly back, all for just the Surface Pro 3.

I HATE stuff like this. :mad:

Question is, who's going to spend over $1000 for a laptop wanna be tablet?

People who don't like Apple, but want the same Apple-like response to the things they own. There must be a big enough pool of potential buyers available for Microsoft to target that segment and expect profits if they're moving into a 3rd generation in spite of the losses and markdowns from the first couple iterations.

The real value in this Surface Pro 3 is the capability to use it as an Artists Pad.

I basically have the same device / hardware with my Dell XPS 12 Ultrabook. The only real differences are of course the pen support and the removable keyboard and resolution. 1080p is alread very very small on this 12" screen. I can't even imagine the higher rez.

I see a lot of people buying this for the Pen and a lot less for a tablet at least that's my take on it

I see this convertible device working in a lot of corporate environments. I know our company is already gearing up to pilot these for a few different applications in the field.

The real value in this Surface Pro 3 is the capability to use it as an Artists Pad.

Well, no Wacom digitizer (they went N-Trig on the SP3), so that capability is yet to be seen.

I see this convertible device working in a lot of corporate environments. I know our company is already gearing up to pilot these for a few different applications in the field.

Exactly. We demoed a few SP2s to some of our "road warrior" users and execs at the beginning of this year and now we can't get them rolled out fast enough. I suspect that close to half of our office users that don't need a high powered workstation will be on Surface Pros by the end of this year.

Well, no Wacom digitizer (they went N-Trig on the SP3), so that capability is yet to be seen.

Exactly. We demoed a few SP2s to some of our "road warrior" users and execs at the beginning of this year and now we can't get them rolled out fast enough. I suspect that close to half of our office users that don't need a high powered workstation will be on Surface Pros by the end of this year.

I bought a SPro 1 on the general hope that I could just walk out of the office with a single device in my bag that would replace my laptop/tablet/paper notebook. While it wasn't perfect, it was (is) extremely impressive for what it's worth. Outside of the battery life on the SPro 1 and the other smaller required improvements, if you were someone one the road a lot, it relieved you of a lot of weight on the go. And One Note is awesome.

Is it better than an iPad at being an iPad? No.

Is it better than a high-end productivity laptop at being a high-end productivity laptop? No.

Is it the best pen-enabled tablet on the market? Likely.

Can it do all the stuff above pretty damn well? Yes.

That's what the Surface Pro is for, in my opinion. Hell, I know some people that use the docking station and run their entire workstations off of them, which is pretty cool as well when you consider the size of the device.

I think the device was poorly reviewed because it basically didn't do the exact single thing the review crowd cares about: typing on their laps while at press conferences, which is fair enough considering that's a type of work environment many people require. Outside of that these are wonderful devices if you're looking to replace a lot of shit and have to be on the road a lot.

Sorry for the wall of text.

People who don't like Apple, but want the same Apple-like response to the things they own. There must be a big enough pool of potential buyers available for Microsoft to target that segment and expect profits if they're moving into a 3rd generation in spite of the losses and markdowns from the first couple iterations.

Just ignore him. He spouts the same pathetic bullshit all the time. :rolleyes:

I think the device was reviewed because it basically didn't do the exact single thing the review crowd cares about: typing on their laps while at press conferences, which is fair enough considering that's a type of work environment many people require. Outside of that these are wonderful devices if you're looking to replace a lot of shit and have to be on the road a lot.[/QUOTE]

Well it was Microsoft that kept using the term laptop replacement in the SP3 presentation and creating that expectation, so it stands to reason that people would expect it to work in your... Lap.

And unfortunately, according to reviewers that already have SP3's it's still flimsy and unstable in the lap.

Also, since they kept harping about it being a laptop replacement, why is the damn overpriced keyboard an additional $130 again? They should've at least included it in the $1000+ models at least until the devices start gaining some traction

Me.

Right now a lot of people have a laptop and a tablet. A proper tablet thats not a tank yet still powerful would allow someone to consolidate both into one device.

Less to carry around, nothing to sync data wise, and certainly better than a $500 tablet and $500 laptop.

My issue is screen size. I'm just not a fan of 10" tablets, IMO that's too big (that's what she said). I prefer the 8" size.

Me.

Right now a lot of people have a laptop and a tablet. A proper tablet thats not a tank yet still powerful would allow someone to consolidate both into one device.

Less to carry around, nothing to sync data wise, and certainly better than a $500 tablet and $500 laptop.

My issue is screen size. I'm just not a fan of 10" tablets, IMO that's too big (that's what she said). I prefer the 8" size.

Screen size was the big issue for me with SP1/SP2. 10" for me was too small, which is why I purchased a Galaxy Note Pro 12.2...three weeks ago. Had I known MS was this close to releasing a 12" tablet, I would have waited...oh well, the Note Pro 12.2 is pretty damned awesome, so I'll just wait for the SP4.

I must be the only one glad they got rid of the wacom digitizer. Nothing was more annoying than going to click or write something 1-2 cm from the edge of the screen with the pen, and have it be all jittery. I've heard N-Trig has improved quite a bit from the days people cringed about it. But I'm not an artist so the fidelity aspect doesn't affect me that much.

i am a huge fan of the 10" form factor. 12" is too big. that would have absolutely prevented me from buying one. i have a 1st gen pro, and i definitely want another 10" when i upgrade.

Having owned a couple of 10" devices they're kind of small for a device that requires two hands. 12" is more optimal plus as a digital notepad it's closer to a letter size note pad. Looking forward to using it for Visio.

Back