Wolfenstein: The New Order PC Technical Issues

HardOCP News

[H] News
If you have plans to buy Wolfenstein: The New Order for the PC, you should read this first. :(

I'm writing this now because we've all encountered technical issues with the PC version that warrant a warning for early adopters. I didn't encounter any of these problems when playing earlier PC builds of the game, but those sessions took place in publisher-controlled environments. That said, several of the issues seem to be related to graphics drivers - suggesting that recent updates might have thrown a spanner in the works.

Let me guess, FOV is 60 and performance sucks too?

Looks like PC gamer is down right now. Same shit, different game.

hah -- rot in hell bethestda, this is the sort of tonic you deserve after intentionally making the game 50GB by using uncompressed EVERYTHING like titanfall did. Just on the notion that it will discourage piracy?

They can't play the "it's for performance card" -- on the fly compression and decompression has been done for decades in gaming with little to no hit in performance.

Strip out multiplayer for a supposed AAA game?

toss this one on the pile of raped and pillaged once great series.

Did any of you actually read the article?

They are basically complaining that the low end of the hardware spectrum is not able to run the game at good FPS with high settings.

It also seems like there are issues with the newest drivers from AMD and Nvidia.

That article is really slanted.
They are trying to run full settings on really low end hardware....

I'm sure there are some technical issues as there always are, but it sounds like total whining to me.

There's no mention of the patches that are apparently needed, so I don't think these guys are running patched games either.

I have ordered the game, so I'll know pretty soon what's up. Sad part is it's the same engine as Rage had, and sounds like it's as clunky....and hasn't been yet addressed by AMD......we'll just have to wait and see.:D

Geeze, calm down kids (Mr Collegeboy.) They're using a 6890 and a 560 TI both of which come standard with 1GB of ram.

I'm not an Betheseda/Wolenstein/ID apologist or what not and nor do I plan to buy this game. However, they are playing one old hardware that is outperformed by the 750 TI and lesser (650 TI etc..)

Now it's not the end of the world, there are crash issues (as with any other game.) However, they're not very clear on their settings which really needs to be taken into account when playing with hardware more than 4 years old. (One of them is playing on an i7 950 system w/ a 6890 1GB ram I believe.)

what the hell is a 6890?!?!

i cant believe that this game has the texture pop in. that is a real turn off.

It doesn't seem as if PC Gamer would know a typical console port if it bit them. This kind of sorriness goes with the territory...(some people wonder why console ports aren't popular with PC owners--go figure.)

I'd hold off on that thought for now, they are using 1GB gfx cards, they may need to stream data in while in view because there isnt enough room.

I was playing it this morning before heading out to work, seems to be working great for me so far. However, I only played it for like twenty minutes.

my system is nothing to brag about

Oh well there is the problem , they are using AMD's Catalyst software!

(Flamesuit on);)

Oh well there is the problem , they are using AMD's Catalyst software!

(Flamesuit on);)

I take it you didn't bother to read the article either.

They also tried it with a 650ti. The newest Nvidia drivers do not work with it either. They had to drop down to a 331 series driver.

I'm running the game with a single GTX 780 on the 337.50 beta drivers and the game runs flawlessly for me. Constant triple-digit framerates with highest possible in-game settings at 1920x1080.
Let me guess, FOV is 60 and performance sucks too?

Looks like PC gamer is down right now. Same shit, different game.
The default hFOV in the game is 80 and it can go up to 100 ;).

I was playing it this morning before heading out to work, seems to be working great for me so far. However, I only played it for like twenty minutes.

Which drivers are you running?

Based on Steam's hardware survey, your machine represents 0.96% of GPUs and 0.33% of CPUs. It may not be anything to brag about here on [H] but, compared to the vast majority of systems out there, your machine has god-like powers ;)

Based on Steam's hardware survey, your machine represents 0.96% of GPUs and 0.33% of CPUs. It may not be anything to brag about here on [H] but, compared to the vast majority of systems out there, your machine has god-like powers ;)

Hah, well, thank you for making my day and not shaming me into a hardware upgrade :D

steam winter holiday sale $8.99............................wait for it.

Geeze, calm down kids (Mr Collegeboy.) They're using a 6890 and a 560 TI both of which come standard with 1GB of ram.

I'm not an Betheseda/Wolenstein/ID apologist or what not and nor do I plan to buy this game. However, they are playing one old hardware that is outperformed by the 750 TI and lesser (650 TI etc..)

Now it's not the end of the world, there are crash issues (as with any other game.) However, they're not very clear on their settings which really needs to be taken into account when playing with hardware more than 4 years old. (One of them is playing on an i7 950 system w/ a 6890 1GB ram I believe.)

I won't fault them for using older hardware -- that level of gear is still in a majority of houses. I will fault them for trying to run on "high" though. if you have mid or low level hardware, you have to be realistic.

As for the game itself -- there there are driver issues, crash issues, texture pop issues. There are a few videos that show some major AI issues as well too. All of these are squarely on Bethesda.

My huge gripe is them pulling a titanfall and purposefully making the game 50-fucking-GB. When there is no reason to. These days more and more people are getting fucked in the ass on bandwidth limits. making it 50GB just to (try) and discourage pirates.... wtf man?

Think about it this way -- doesn't AT&T have some kind of soft cap on uverse thats 250GB per billing cycle? (im a cable man myself so i don't know the details) anyway, imagine you pay 50 bucks a month for your AT&T DSL line, 20% of that is used on a single game. Price wise you just paid 10 dollars for the bandwidth itself so you could have a game you paid even more money for.

I'd rather shove 60 dollars down some female strippers panties than give it to them for this game. Too bad too because I love Wolfenstein, hate to see another great series end with a whimper like this due to retard decisions from people who really don't give a fuck about the game, just how much cash it can generate.

I won't fault them for using older hardware -- that level of gear is still in a majority of houses. I will fault them for trying to run on "high" though. if you have mid or low level hardware, you have to be realistic.

As for the game itself -- there there are driver issues, crash issues, texture pop issues. There are a few videos that show some major AI issues as well too. All of these are squarely on Bethesda.

My huge gripe is them pulling a titanfall and purposefully making the game 50-fucking-GB. When there is no reason to. These days more and more people are getting fucked in the ass on bandwidth limits. making it 50GB just to (try) and discourage pirates.... wtf man?

Think about it this way -- doesn't AT&T have some kind of soft cap on uverse thats 250GB per billing cycle? (im a cable man myself so i don't know the details) anyway, imagine you pay 50 bucks a month for your AT&T DSL line, 20% of that is used on a single game. Price wise you just paid 10 dollars for the bandwidth itself so you could have a game you paid even more money for.

I'd rather shove 60 dollars down some female strippers panties than give it to them for this game. Too bad too because I love Wolfenstein, hate to see another great series end with a whimper like this due to retard decisions from people who really don't give a fuck about the game, just how much cash it can generate.

Great that there is more to it than I initially read from your post (rather than the usual raging.. Tee hee..RAGE engine, RAGING playing Wolfenstein!) Definitely great points especially considering ATT's cap policy.

I'm running the game with a single GTX 780 on the 337.50 beta drivers and the game runs flawlessly for me. Constant triple-digit framerates with highest possible in-game settings at 1920x1080.
The default hFOV in the game is 80 and it can go up to 100 ;).
Is the FOV set up Hor+ or Vert-?

I really hope it's Hor+... Hor+ means I'll probably buy it, Vert- means I wont touch it with a 10 foot pole.

Drat, no edit... Well, I just checked in at WSGF. The game is Vert-, which effectively ruins it for everyone.

Basically, what this means is that the wider your screen is, the more the game CROPS OFF the top and bottom of the picture. Users with 4:3 monitors will see more picture than users with 16:9 widescreens.

This can mae 16:9 feel claustrophobic and zoomed-in, and it totally destroys Eyefinity/Surround compatibility. Bethesda couldn't have screwed this game up worse if they were actually trying...

Ya, just because the game is using the Rage engine doesn't mean that you get the same 60fps from it on older hardware. From what I've seen, it's using a lot of higher-end graphical effects that are going to tax a GTX560. AMD users are likely just suffering the same shoddy OpenGL driver that also plagued Rage and the last Wolfenstein. It will get fixed but it will take time.

I do think that the download size is understandable (if perhaps not justifiable) due to the engine. People didn't like Rage's texture compression artifacts (and that was at ~20gb) and Wolfenstein seems much better in that regard. Games have been using DVD sizes for a decade and I'm personally happy to see them moving forwards now that both consoles ship with Blu-Ray drives. It sucks for us who download but it's going to become the norm for cross-platform games.

Drat, no edit... Well, I just checked in at WSGF. The game is Vert-, which effectively ruins it for everyone.

Basically, what this means is that the wider your screen is, the more the game CROPS OFF the top and bottom of the picture. Users with 4:3 monitors will see more picture than users with 16:9 widescreens.

This can mae 16:9 feel claustrophobic and zoomed-in, and it totally destroys Eyefinity/Surround compatibility. Bethesda couldn't have screwed this game up worse if they were actually trying...

I don't see an entry for it, but doesn't having adjustable FOV mean that it's Vert+? That, as you increase FOV, the game crops less off the top and bottom?

Texture pop in? What, are they using the Rage engine?

And yeah, selecting the latest beta drivers largely solve the problems.... which is pretty much truth for every new AAA PC game that comes out. There will be new beta drivers... oh yes, there will be.

Anyway call me when it's under $20 and I might bite. If it follows in Rage's footsteps that should only take a few months.

I don't see an entry for it, but doesn't having adjustable FOV mean that it's Vert+?That, as you increase FOV, the game crops less off the top and bottom?
The wider your screen, the less you see vertically. This is classic Vert- behavior.

Basically, they used the wrong constraint when setting up the game's camera. They constrained it horizontally, when most sane developers constrain vertically.

And no, having an adjustable FOV doesn't change the definition.

Set the in-game FOV to 90 and then test at 4:3 and 16:9. The latter is vertically-cropped versus the former.
Set the in-game FOV to 100 and then test at 4:3 and 16:9. The latter is vertically-cropped versus the former.

See? Vert-...

"It's a real shame that id Tech 5's most prominent problem is still apparent three years after RAGE"

+1

So does the game run better on Nvidia hardware like Rage did? I remember playing Rage on my laptop with nvidia 570m in order to avoid the AMD and OpenGL chaos.

Unless it is a typo, there was a "6870x2" released by PowerColor that contained dual 68XX GPU's on a single PCB. Many first thought this card was going to be called the "6890" since it was faster then a 6970 but used the 68XX series GPUs..

The large file size is supposed to stop Pirates? I was pumped for this game, but after reading all the issues, I headed over to my favorite 3 letter torrent site and It's the top PC Game Download at the moment ;)..Going to give it a shot and if it works well will pony up some cash for it.

Back