GoPro Files For An IPO

HardOCP News

[H] News
According to Engadget, GoPro is going public.

The company just filed its S-1 with the Securities and Exchange Commission, so you can expect to see the ticker symbol GPRO on NASDAQ in due course. There's no shortage of financial types digging through the document as we type (bits to note: the company managed to turn a pretty profit last year, and it shipped a net total of nearly 4 million cameras in 2013), but the story is clear -- GoPro is a big deal, and it's going to get even bigger.

They will dredge this company for cash until it dies like they do all companies that go public. I am starting to think IPO means end of innovation for companies.

Kinda surprised Apple hasn't tried to purchase them, since GoPro's are like the Apple or Beats of small video recording devices -- overpriced mediocre hardware marketed to high hell.

Kinda surprised Apple hasn't tried to purchase them, since GoPro's are like the Apple or Beats of small video recording devices -- overpriced mediocre hardware marketed to high hell.

Are they really that shitty?

I bought a GoPro Hero3 on sale over the holidays, and for what it is, it is good, not awesome.

the 4k mode is useless and while video is smooth at 720 / 1080 60FPS, it could use some sharpening for sure, things seem to have a bit of a blur to them, not like a nice crisp image.

For regular price i would not of bought this, but having a water proof camera for less than $300, can't complain.

I was holding out for the Hero 4, for 240FPS 720P and 120@1080P, anything else available at a similar price?

Yep, they're definitely the ipod of cameras. I have a ContourGPS camera, but I still refer to it as my gopro so people will know what I'm talking about.

I want a contour. For sailing it wiuld be perfect and snowboard as well. But i read somewhere contour support is dead. Any insight?

I bought a GoPro Hero3 on sale over the holidays, and for what it is, it is good, not awesome.

the 4k mode is useless and while video is smooth at 720 / 1080 60FPS, it could use some sharpening for sure, things seem to have a bit of a blur to them, not like a nice crisp image.

For regular price i would not of bought this, but having a water proof camera for less than $300, can't complain.

There's a lot of Chinese made ones that compete with it pretty well now. Techmoan on YouTube does a lot of reviews on them.

But yeah. The GoPro 3 Silver/White are just rebadged. The Black isn't bad. But they're being out a slightly upgraded one, iirc. The newer Sony actioncams are supposedly really nice.

They used to be the shit when they first came out. No one had anything close to them, especially for extreme sports, exterior camera for road racing, they were pretty much THE camera to have. Not to mention the video quality isn't half bad. Now a few competitors have emerged and I get the feeling they are going to get lazy in the innovation department and crank up the marketing department and just sit back and generate cash.

Probably not going to invest, since I think other people can make cameras you can strap to your face.

Are you shooting in protune mode and post processing your videos with Premiere/Vegas? If not, you will get mediocre results. I used to think that GoPros were all hype, until I purchased one-there is a reason they are the industry standard now. Additionally, when you buy a GoPro, you are also buying into the vast accessory/mount marketplace-no other action cam manufacturer even comes close to the amount of mounting options available.

Alot of people are quick to talk about how poor the GoPros 4k abilities are but dont fully understand the data transfer rates required for 4K and that the SDCard cannot write that quickly without problems. There also isnt sufficient demand for them to make the camera do high FPS 4K without 4K being mainstream. Youll see higher FPS 4K ability with the Hero4 because 4K will be more mainstream.

I have a couple gopros and used to shoot/edit car videos. Ive messed with all of the action cams and nothing else comes close to the go pro all around.

Nailed it.
The fish eye video from GoPro and other compact camera isn't that good.

It amazes me people consider their smart phone a GOOD camera or video recorder. :rolleyes:

That is like considering instant coffee GOOD coffee. (blech!)

Let get me this straight... The general consensus of the thread is GoPro relies on marketing too much - ergo they are too similar to Apple - so you guys don't think it is good to invest in them?

That might be good tech advice, but that is the worst investing advice I have ever heard.

Back