Sapphire R9 290X Vapor-X Tri-X OC

HardOCP News

[H] News
The Sapphire R9 290X Vapor-X Tri-X OC is on the test bench today at ThinkComputers.

Sapphire has just added a new graphics card to their R9 290X lineup. It is the R9 290X Vapor-X Tri-X OC graphics card. The thing that sets this card apart from their other R9 290X cards is that it features vapor-chamber technology to improve cooling even more than than their current cards and this card features a factory overclock on both the GPU and the memory.

Ugh

My emails been flooded by like every video card maker like ASUS, EVGA etc telling me "We have 290x's in stock!"

Then the news a few days ago that AMD now suddenly has "Lots of 290x's in stock!"

So I did some digging, yup, AMD's new GPU's are in the pipe and are going to be out in 3-6 months to compete with Nvidia's GT107 chips

Gee, this availability of 290x's wouldn't have ANYTHING to do with all the cryptominers stopped buying them and waiting for the next cards now would it?

NAHHHHHHHHHH

there is only one new card coming this year that i am aware of; Tonga

its a thermal redisgn, 28nm node, and not high end.

Its basically a pitcairn replacement.

Ugh

My emails been flooded by like every video card maker like ASUS, EVGA etc telling me "We have 290x's in stock!"

Then the news a few days ago that AMD now suddenly has "Lots of 290x's in stock!"

So I did some digging, yup, AMD's new GPU's are in the pipe and are going to be out in 3-6 months to compete with Nvidia's GT107 chips

Gee, this availability of 290x's wouldn't have ANYTHING to do with all the cryptominers stopped buying them and waiting for the next cards now would it?

NAHHHHHHHHHH

Crypto miners that are expanding simply stopped buying NEW cards because there's a glut of used cards on the market now. The huge crash that followed the fall of Mt. Gox and then China cracking down on crypto made it a lot less profitable, and a lot of folks especially those who got in late, are dumping hardware and trying to get out.

Besides, serious miners don't wait for the next big thing, it's all about making hay while the sun is shining.

Ugh

NAHHHHHHHHHH

Actually when companies release SKU's this late in the production cycle it usually means there isn't anything new coming and they are trying to make what they have more appealing.

Strange how they only mention the Hynix memory. The entire PCB is new and upgraded. More PWM phases, dual 8pins, upgraded chokes and caps, etc...
119.jpg

191.jpg

Last edited:
Sapphire likes to put their logo all over the components. Surprised just to see one on the vrm heatsink.

Crypto miners that are expanding simply stopped buying NEW cards because there's a glut of used cards on the market now. The huge crash that followed the fall of Mt. Gox and then China cracking down on crypto made it a lot less profitable, and a lot of folks especially those who got in late, are dumping hardware and trying to get out.

Besides, serious miners don't wait for the next big thing, it's all about making hay while the sun is shining.

Ugh, who would want to buy a used 290x from a cryptominer?

That's like buying a porshe that's been driven 200mph for over a year

Why would you review an Aftermarket PCB and not compare it to Reference in the review benchmarks???

confused-mark.gif

I love the PCB but I know its going to be a pain in the ass to water cool effectively.

Also Sapphire has a bad history of not supporting the BIOS for over clocking their VApor X cards over the last few years.

Between this card and the MSI Lightning I would say go lighting if you plan on over clocking for max performance.

Back