There Are No Rules Against Internet Fast Lanes

HardOCP News

[H] News
The best quote in this article comes from FCC Chairman Tom Wheeler when he said "I buy a pipe. Nobody can mess with that." I guess this confirms what we've all suspected for years, the FCC is on the pipe. :D

While the FCC’s latest proposal doesn’t specifically authorize fast lanes, it didn’t have to: they’re already legal. ISPs can charge Web services like Netflix (“edge providers” in regulatory parlance) for a faster path to consumers over the last mile of the network because there aren’t any enforceable rules against it.

There will be a point when the average person is tired of all this political and corporate bullshit when someone snaps and starts blowing up lawyers and CEO's of these places... not a single fuck will be given by us the consumer.

All the money that was thrown at these places to upgrade infrastructure so we wouldn't have to worry about priority access.... it all magically disappeared.

Whatever problems exist by a lack of bandwidth for all aren't going to be covered up at all, you are just pricing out smaller guys of a set amount of 'pipe' that's available.

I really wouldn't have a problem with this ass-hattery if it was in the realm of possibility for the large majority of people like me to say "enough -- fuck it we are going to start our own company with our own lines" but since governments have their hands on the back end of the game you can't get anything done there either.

This whole debacle is exactly like having a 3 time convicted pedophile as the president of some public "care for kids" foundation. Everyone knows he's not really working for the best interest of the public due to his past. Saying one thing and doing another... and that shit is allowed to fly because of the almighty US dollar.

I'm waiting for some moron to do a crying video 'Leave the Internet Alone...' Any volunteers? Should be viral gold.

I'm waiting for some moron to do a crying video 'Leave the Internet Alone...' Any volunteers? Should be viral gold.

I'd volunteer however I'm afraid my next bill from the cable company would skyrocket due to uploading a few megs. :p

Since I can't edit -- it's sad to imagine what other countries think when they see this sort of bullshit gaining traction over here.

The fact you can go over to south korea 100mbit pipes are the common every day thing, 1Gbit pipes are being rolled out for $20-50 dollars a month.

We are quite literally throwing ourselves backwards in time just so some fat pieces of shit can have an extra zero on their paycheck.

Since I can't edit -- it's sad to imagine what other countries think when they see this sort of bullshit gaining traction over here.
\\

Do you really think those people in other countries know or care. Most of their general population is as stupid or ignorant as most of the American general population is. On would think China should be a free country by now what with all the millions of people they have vs. just the government, but apparently most of the population is content with the status quo.

Give the FCC a taste of their own medicine. Throttle their IP addresses down to 28.8kbps and demand a $10000 fee per month for a fast pipe. An if the FCC complains, "hey, you allowed this to be done." Its not a utility, so price gauging laws do not apply.

I love living in a country that is the laughing stock of the entire world. For you hippies that can't affort internet there is always Starbucks. I can see it now tent city next to Starbucks. All for free fucking WI-FI. Sad...

So I know Congress isnt a thing to be relied upon, but lets hope someone there does something smart for a change and does something about this.

I love living in a country that is the laughing stock of the entire world. For you hippies that can't affort internet there is always Starbucks. I can see it now tent city next to Starbucks. All for free fucking WI-FI. Sad...

I hear they have some internet in california!

The fact you can go over to south korea 100mbit pipes are the common every day thing, 1Gbit pipes are being rolled out for $20-50 dollars a month.

We are quite literally throwing ourselves backwards in time just so some fat pieces of shit can have an extra zero on their paycheck.

Well, other than the fact that South Korea is only about the size of Kentucky, I agree with you.

Let's get the facts straight on this.

Net neutrality = metered service. It is just a way to get idiots on board.

So I know Congress isnt a thing to be relied upon, but lets hope someone there does something smart for a change and does something about this.

Well I think that's the problem. The FCC really doesn't have jurisdiction over this and since the regs haven't been written on how or who manages broadband any govt agency which tries to regulate it is coopting the Congress which is supposed to legislate this kind of thing.

What we need is a legal framework on who regulates and enforces rules. Right now it is a free-for-all with no real rules so technically I can see why they said it wasn't against the rules since there are none.

There will be a point when the average person is tired of all this political and corporate bullshit when someone snaps and starts blowing up lawyers and CEO's of these places... not a single fuck will be given by us the consumer.

It's already happening. People are shooting up schools and military installations because they feel trapped in their lives with no hope in sight. When we reach the point that John Q Taxpayer can no longer support his family and keep them healthy (we are already very close) I believe you will start seeing rebellion on a much larger scale.

Never before have I seen so many people angry at their government. It may not seem like it, but it is a wave that is gathering size and momentum. It remains to be seen whether the powers-that-be like the CIA and NSA would be able to squash an in-progress rebellion, or would be able to stop it before it starts.

It's already happening. People are shooting up schools and military installations because they feel trapped in their lives with no hope in sight. When we reach the point that John Q Taxpayer can no longer support his family and keep them healthy (we are already very close) I believe you will start seeing rebellion on a much larger scale.

Never before have I seen so many people angry at their government. It may not seem like it, but it is a wave that is gathering size and momentum. It remains to be seen whether the powers-that-be like the CIA and NSA would be able to squash an in-progress rebellion, or would be able to stop it before it starts.

Why do you think the NSA has a massive spy apparatus in place? They have no jurisdiction to spy on people in foreign countries as they are a domestic spy agency. Put two and two together to figure out what they are really up to. The government wants to be able to squash anyone who starts to speak out against the government. Will they make the random guy on the internet that has 10 followers? No, will they arrange a timely accident for the guy who has a massive following that he could put to work either peacefully or violently? Absolutely.

Why do you think the NSA has a massive spy apparatus in place? They have no jurisdiction to spy on people in foreign countries as they are a domestic spy agency. Put two and two together to figure out what they are really up to. The government wants to be able to squash anyone who starts to speak out against the government. Will they make the random guy on the internet that has 10 followers? No, will they arrange a timely accident for the guy who has a massive following that he could put to work either peacefully or violently? Absolutely.

Oh I agree completely. And, I believe the NSA sees the writing on the wall and that is the reason why they are so intent on reading all internet traffic. I just don't know if they are capable of stopping a rebellion on a massive scale.

Oh I agree completely. And, I believe the NSA sees the writing on the wall and that is the reason why they are so intent on reading all internet traffic. I just don't know if they are capable of stopping a rebellion on a massive scale.

You don't have to stop it on a massive scale if you simply arrange an accident before it ever becomes an issue.

I think the issue here isn't that ISPs want more $$$ for internet... I think this goes back to most ISPs are Content PRoviders... You will BY DEFAULT get faster access to THEIR online service that competes with, say, Netflix, just to try and push us back to a model like the cable company had pre-broadband days.

The only things that are going to happen are (1) companies like NEtflix will either go under, switch back to mostly DVD-By-Mail service, or find a way to create their own ISP, (I'm banking on #2 personally) And (2) Piracy's going to go through the ceiling as previously 100% legit users suddenly cant access their _legal_ content despite having a 20, 30, 50, or 100mbps internet connection.

America used to be one of hte top innovators in the world, now we're trying to push ourselves back to the bottom...

Don't discount the possiblity that someone else will build a new Internet, with blackjack and hookers.

Let's get the facts straight on this.

Net neutrality = metered service. It is just a way to get idiots on board.

Precisely. Government interests are always fear-mongering in order to stir up political support for themselves--they enjoy the appearance of "helping to right a wrong" that has yet to occur. They don't care that what they're saying isn't true at all--it's irrelevant to them. If they have to spin terrifying yarns in order to get votes from frightened constituents, that is what they'll do. Whether it's the earth's climate or the Internet or healthcare, moronic politicians won't stint at spreading fear and fud if they think they'll get votes from it. "The sky is falling" is today's most often used political platform. This generation of politicians, and ex-politicians like Al Gore, is the most openly unethical I have ever seen.

People have really got to wise up about all of this stuff. The government can't tie its own shoelaces efficiently--all it can do, all it can ever do, is tax and spend *our* money, whether we like it or not.

(I got a tad enthusiastic, here.) Anything the ISPs can do to make land-line Internet service as profitable as wireless, they'll do, including championing a "net neutrality" that'll bring about metered service. Remarkably, I've even read comments from people who say they *like* the idea of paying metered rates! Insane.

Do you guys want Google fiber?
Do you want net neutrality?

Pick one. The whole debate is to keep Google out of the market.

Stop pretending that a market full of regulations and government intrusion is a "free market".

A free market could potentially need some regulation. If one company which supplies a product which is deemed a necessity of life rises above the others and puts them out of business thus corning the market. Then they decide to jack up the price simply because there are no competitors and thus send the population into poverty while they sit high on their throne. Should the government let this dystopia continue, or should they try to regulate the tyrannical company and restore society to its former glory?

...then it gets all messed up and people blame the "free market". See? You can come with all kinds of reasons for regulations, no problem. But as soon as you do that, it's not a free market that you're talking about anymore.

It's easier to spot monopolies created by regulation - after all, big corporations don't care about regulations, they just buy the regulators, while smaller players struggle to adapt to the new rules - than it is to spot monopolies resulting of a free market (I can't think of any).

...then it gets all messed up and people blame the "free market". See? You can come with all kinds of reasons for regulations, no problem. But as soon as you do that, it's not a free market that you're talking about anymore.

It's easier to spot monopolies created by regulation - after all, big corporations don't care about regulations, they just buy the regulators, while smaller players struggle to adapt to the new rules - than it is to spot monopolies resulting of a free market (I can't think of any).

Depends on what you consider a regulation ... if you consider patents and copyrights regulations (even though both are defined in the constitution of the USA) then there might be some issue ... but I would agree that most of artificial anti monopoly laws are bogus ... I personally wouldn't have an issue with Intel purchasing AMD or United, Delta, and American/USAir merging into one giant carrier ... I think we need less government interference with business ;)

Back