Why Men Choose Female Avatars in World of Warcraft

HardOCP News

[H] News
When given a choice, do you prefer to play as a male for female character? Why?

In fact, it’s all about the butts. Because players see their avatars from a third-person perspective from behind, men are confronted with whether they want to stare at a guy’s butt or a girl’s butt for 20 hours a week. Or as the study authors put it in more academic prose, gender-switching men “prefer the esthetics of watching a female avatar form.”

Umm, I can count on the number of hours I played WoW on no fingers. :rolleyes: For me, I personally find better things to spend my money on.

I do NOT want to know the answer to that question. I will NOT READ THAT STEVE!

No shit? No, really. I don't think it's hard to really tell why.

And I didn't read anything past the quote. So yea...

MAN ASS FTW?!?

920d1232658471-favorite-tv-police-officers-o_a_man_called_hawk_02.jpg

I see the beauty in the female humans, night elves and blood elves which I myself can never achieve.

I think the whole "staring at a characters ass" thing is silly. I bet the real reason dudes play as chicks in MMO's is so that they can fool people (mainly guys) into giving them free loot and other stuff without actually working for it. I think it'd be hilarious when the victim finds out that person he's been giving gold and items to all the time is a hairy cellar dweller, then he'd probably go ballistic!

For you WoW players, what is your male to female character ratio?

for me ( a male): 8 male, 5 female

Um, if all stats are equal, isn't it pretty obvious that men want to see a female figure and hear a hot female voice?

On a female avatar, the higher the armor is classed, the less skin it covers. It's almost a universal law.

Um, if all stats are equal, isn't it pretty obvious that men want to see a female figure and hear a hot female voice?

On a female avatar, the higher the armor is classed, the less skin it covers. It's almost a universal law.

Haha, this is so true.

But anyway... the real reason is that females who can kick butt are hot.

Umm, I can count on the number of hours I played WoW on no fingers. :rolleyes: For me, I personally find better things to spend my money on.

Yet you want to quote on a thread about wow. No one cares if you could find better things to spend your money on either

In the case of WoW you play whatever character your raid group needs.

Sometimes you pick the female avatar because it's smaller and blocks the view less.

And yes, sometimes you pick it because it's better looking.

In more general terms other game makers make the most desirable characters female because frankly they know hot chicks and sex sells.

I make it a point to try to play male characters more than 50% of the time in games where class doesn't matter to the gameplay. It's general principle.

That said there are plenty of AAA games that have seriously popular male characters. Assassin's Creed anyone? Hell you spend part of that series playing a guy with greying hair.

Do you use a squire to get on that high horse? :rolleyes:

I enjoyed WoW for about 6 months, very engaging game at the time, which was 5 or 6 years ago. Then I looked outside and noticed I hadn't moved from my chair in a couple seasons. Cold turkey no more WoW for me.

Do you use a squire to get on that high horse? :rolleyes:

I enjoyed WoW for about 6 months, very engaging game at the time, which was 5 or 6 years ago. Then I looked outside and noticed I hadn't moved from my chair in a couple seasons. Cold turkey no more WoW for me.

Or you could, I don't know, moderate your time and budget accordingly, and be a responsible adult.

Just kidding, that's fucking stupid.

First of all, I don't view my toons as avatars being representations of myself in a game. They are characters in a pretend world in a video game. I have a variety of classes, races, and sexes. The game is more interesting experiencing it with unique variations. IMO this whole concept presented by the article is dumb to me.

That said, my 4 main characters I use (the only ones with current tier raid kills) are all male (I am a male myself). This is mostly because I like the classes. They just happen to have been males.

I have 7 male toons vs 4 female toons.

dat ass

Although the one thing the article didn't touch on was the strategy of guys pretending to be girls to exploit actual guy characters into giving them free shit. Digital gold diggers.

most of the male character models on the Alliance side look really stupid. big Goofy feet, huge upper body, floppy arms and legs and a little butt. the female models were better designed.

play horde, not a big issue at all. all my horde characters were male.

i don't play anymore, big time waster.

It took a study to let me know that I like following a female butt? :D
<< following female avatar butts for 20+ years.

For you WoW players, what is your male to female character ratio?

for me ( a male): 8 male, 5 female

In all my games I tend to play a mix of male and female.

In games like d3, eso, where the number of allowed characters is low or arbitrarily set I will tend to make 2 of each class, one male one female.

The female models tend to have different costume/artwork options I like to have them all available.

Really I spend very little time looking at my character, I tune it out and I am looking at the game world for the most part, characters could be gender neutral for all I care.

In wow, I am not currently active so I cant look, I think it is about 60/40 with have a few more males.

I think the author of the 'study' was reading his own misogyny into the results.

My first and most missed game is City of Heroes and there many more people gender bend -more so about costumes- then anything else.

I will have to think about it, and see if I can self test if I play my characters differently based on gender.

I wonder if the author of the article also took the faulty premise that all men like (only) female butts and all women like (only) male butts.

-EB

Female night elfs are hot. Thats why i play one. This has to be the most pointless study ever

I never wanted to deal with creepy dudes. Plus, who actually stares at a cartoon ass?

I've never picked a female character in a game that had males. I certainly wouldn't do so to stare at polygonal ass. Not even with tessellation.

I always thought it felt kind of gay playing as a female. Plus, my wife would get all pissed off because I'd stretch out her clothes and use up her makeup .
Only dude characters for this guy now.

i dunno about WoW but it's why i always play women characters in the elder scrolls games, lol spot on...

I always thought it felt kind of gay playing as a female. Plus, my wife would get all pissed off because I'd stretch out her clothes and use up her makeup .
Only dude characters for this guy now.

What? What the fuck does the clothes/makeup portion of your post have ANYTHING to do with WoW? I feel like we uncovered something here that we didn't want to know.

I suspect your odds of receiving a "buttsechs?kthxbai" PM double or triple with a female character.....

That's why I played a lot of Catwoman in Batman Arkham City. ;) Dat ass...

Everybody wants to be the pretty princess sometimes, don't lie! *puts on lipstick and bats eyes*

Female....of courses you can get free gear from those pimple face males...also, yes I would rather look at a female for hours.

Back