Are Microtransactions Making You Lazy?

HardOCP News

[H] News
The question of the day: Are microtransactions making you lazy? Answer of the day: Yes. ;)

Think about this for a moment; you’re paying more money for content you already own because you say you’re too busy. Has someone set a deadline for when you must finish the game? Is there a gun pointed at your head hooked up to some bizarre, rapidly advancing contraption that is forcing you to reach the endgame before it expires?

Nope, people have always been lazy as demonstrated by labor-saving machine advancements like the pulley, lever, wheel, and horse that all make our modern lives simpler so we can sit around sending lame text messages and posting about what our microwave cooked for us on Facebook.

And I thought the Devs have just made grinding take 50x - 100x longer just to encourage us to take shortcuts.
You can have it now... Or in three months of 18 hours days playing....

Nope. I don't pay but still play. Patience is a virtue.

Nope, I do not pay any Micro transactions. If it is not included in the game I bought, I do not need it.

Games that purposely force me to do something boring repeatedly or pay for a quick work around are games I'm not interested in. I have long since gotten tired of their bullshit. I play a game for fun, not to see how long it'll take for me to get even more bored.

Nope, people have always been lazy as demonstrated by labor-saving machine advancements like the pulley, lever, wheel, and horse that all make our modern lives simpler so we can sit around sending lame text messages and posting about what our microwave cooked for us on Facebook.

True, but the story itself is looking at this wrong, instead it should be looking at the insane grinding these companies add to their games to try and get people to buy their way past it.

And I thought the Devs have just made grinding take 50x - 100x longer just to encourage us to take shortcuts.

Exactly!

I refuse to pay micro transactions. I've been buying and play games since the Atari 400! Lots of developers made plenty of money from single sales.

+1.

I look at older games I have that are considered grindy (pretty much any JRPG). But then I look at how much play time I put into those games to max them out. The Final Fantasy series (up to 9)? It takes roughly 100 hours of grinding to max everything out. Sure, you can beat those games in 10-12 hours, but I want perfection. Then I look at many of today's games.100 hours is nothing. I don't like the "40 hour game" to begin with, as I feel that's way too long for a game to be, but many games today are much longer than that. And then I look into how much of it is gameplay, and how much of it is mindless grinding. There's just way too much grinding, and these aren't even games with microtransactions. Those games have even more grinding.

I really can't consider someone lazy if they want to cut 1000 hours down to 500 hours if I'm coming from a perspective where I only put in 100 hours. The fault here isn't on the user, but really bad game design.

Nytegard please could you name a few of the many games that require way more time than 100 hours to be finished? I mean new ones like you said. And since you say there are so many of them, don't mention just one. Make it ten.

I want that that money I spent in Rift back yeah it was alot...
But I know people on the riftgame message board that spent 200.00 on trying to get a mount for their character and Didn't get it because it's random..

It's not that micro transactions are making people lazy, it's that it's make game designers become money vacuum designers instead.

Immediately when the game is able to be skipped over by paying money the game design switches from "How can we make this game so awesome that people will pay/support it" to "How can we make this game so annoying that people will pay to skip half of it, but just not annoying enough that they will quit". It essentially ruins every game it touches unless the game is designed from the ground up to have the micro transactions not affect game play other than make visual effects or similar. If people who pay have a different game play experience than people who don't then your game is pay2win trash and it needs to go in the bin where it belongs.

True, but the story itself is looking at this wrong, instead it should be looking at the insane grinding these companies add to their games to try and get people to buy their way past it.

MMOs and other online games are huge time sinks and one of the ways they do that is by being amazingly grindy in some way or another. I don't think microtransactions have really changed that very much, but then again, I haven't played games online in a couple of years either.

I want that that money I spent in Rift back yeah it was alot...
But I know people on the riftgame message board that spent 200.00 on trying to get a mount for their character and Didn't get it because it's random..

I just started playing Rift, currently level 31 and refuse to pay a single cent. A couple people gave me some nice bags as that was what hurt the most.

Nope. I don't pay to shorten my playtime. I've never understood how MTs have become popular.

I for one have used MTs. It's just how I choose to play.

I personally refuse to do "daily" quests. The very concept is repugnant to me.

To each their own, really.

Back