AMD’s SeaMicro SM15000 Server Sets Industry Benchmark Record

HardOCP News

[H] News
AMD today announced that its SeaMicro SM15000™ server set a significant industry benchmark record for hyperscale cloud computing with a demonstration that highlights how OpenStack can quickly and reliably provision on-demand computing services at scale. The test provisioned 168,000 virtual machines on 576 physical hosts. The first 75,000 virtual machines were deployed in six hours and thirty minutes. This is the largest known demonstration of OpenStack scalability ever. AMD achieved the record in collaboration with Canonical using the Ubuntu OpenStack (Icehouse) distribution. MaaS (Metal as a Service), part of Ubuntu 14.04 LTS and Ubuntu OpenStack, was used to deliver the bare metal servers, storage and networking. The solution is available today and is the most scalable, automated application for deploying OpenStack in hyperscale environments.

Sounds great but it took me a minute to figure out what that was saying. :D

Buying up SeaMicro was one of the best moves AMD has done on the server side.

lol, that server model comes with either AMD (8 core Piledriver Opteron) or Intel (4 core Sandy Bridge, Ivy Bridge or Atom) CPUs and AMD neglected to say which it used to set the "record". If it was with the 8 core Opteron configuration, I can't imagine why AMD wouldn't mention that. But if it was with those old quad core Xeons... :p

lol, that server model comes with either AMD (8 core Piledriver Opteron) or Intel (4 core Sandy Bridge, Ivy Bridge or Atom) CPUs and AMD neglected to say which it used to set the "record". If it was with the 8 core Opteron configuration, I can't imagine why AMD wouldn't mention that. But if it was with those old quad core Xeons... :p

*Golf claps slowly* Good job, you are living up to your Anti AMD persona quite well. :rolleyes: At least you are consistent.

Back