European Regulators Going After Google Again

HardOCP News

[H] News
According to Bloomberg, Google is having another run-in with European regulators. This time around it seems lawmakers aren't happy about the way Google shares your info between its various services.

“By compiling data from its different services under a single user ID, Google has access to an in-depth personal profile of its users,” Caspar said by phone, adding Google could face fines if it doesn’t change its practices. “Google has to respect its users’ right of self-determination.”

Google is one company, don't see the problem

Google is one company, don't see the problem

Not for tax purposes, they are not. Big momma google pays excessive amounts for R&D conducted by an office of 2 located at some random island, etc. You know the story.

I think this is a smart approach by the bureaucrats :D

What they deem as privacy concerns, I view as convenient features. Honestly, if google services became LESS integrated, I might be tempted to use them less. I couldn't care less if google builds a warehouse worth of data on my personal profile. I'm not paying for it, so I am the product, after all. As much as I might bitch about the legal system in the US, I'm sure glad I don't live in germany or france. Especially france.

Looks like the someone's purse is feeling a little light; better make up a few anal reasons and reach into another company's purse for some spare change.

At least it isn't India and their way of targeting tech companies. They start wanting money to fill their coffers so they pull out a random piece of paper, write the value they want, then go on the record saying the company owes $X billion in back taxes.

"Self-determination"?

Does the Google Street-view truck now deploying mind-control ninjas who sneak into your home, hypnotize you, and force you to create Google accounts now?

If you don't want your youtube and gmail and drive account to be the same, why not just make multiple accounts? Google supports multiple accounts, and has for ages now. It's not that hard to segment your info if you *really* want...

What they deem as privacy concerns, I view as convenient features. Honestly, if google services became LESS integrated, I might be tempted to use them less.
Your missing the point, the EU has no problem Google inter grading all these services, if your ok with it fine your free choice.

They have a problem with that they change the End-user license agreement, in there favor after there users ware hooked in to them.
And what can users do?, stamp there feet?

And ware people had at least had the option to opt-out and only just use the service, now they ware forced to integrate in to the new Google ecosystem or just leave.

Its called bundling, and its even illegal in the US, but as all law enforcement en politicians are all in the pockets of corporations, the laws are not enforced in the US.

I couldn't care less if google builds a warehouse worth of data on my personal profile. I'm not paying for it, so I am the product, after all.
Really?, what do you think all that data is used for?

Lets say me and my twin brother work at the same company, doing the same job, have both a healthy wife and 2 kids, and even drive the same car, but i have to pay more health assurance then my identical brother, why?

Because my brother likes to collect coins as a hobby, me i visit extreme sports sites, look for and visit sites that sell the gear for extreme sports.

As much as I might bitch about the legal system in the US, I'm sure glad I don't live in germany or france.
Why because they have strict privacy laws?

Most people see that as a good thing, those laws dont stop you from using the web services as Google wants you to do, it just demands that people can at least opt-out of all the data collecting, on the vendor locked-in services that Google has created.

Especially france.
Why because they are very much the same as the US, in thinking they are the best country in the world?

I freaking hate the France, but i would still really prefer there law system of that of the US any day of the week.

I really wished that people stopped just reading the headlines, and looked what really going on, as most would then wonder why the US government is not doing the same thing.

Microsoft do this with all their services, it's just that those services are less "HEY WANNA USE YOUR REAL NAME PLEASE PLEASE DAMNIT"

The EU is starting to sound like the mob. "We'll protect our own but first, we're going to take your money & you'll like it when we keep coming back for more."

Your missing the point, the EU has no problem Google inter grading all these services, if your ok with it fine your free choice.

They have a problem with that they change the End-user license agreement, in there favor after there users ware hooked in to them.
And what can users do?, stamp there feet?

And ware people had at least had the option to opt-out and only just use the service, now they ware forced to integrate in to the new Google ecosystem or just leave.

Its called bundling, and its even illegal in the US, but as all law enforcement en politicians are all in the pockets of corporations, the laws are not enforced in the US.

Really?, what do you think all that data is used for?

Lets say me and my twin brother work at the same company, doing the same job, have both a healthy wife and 2 kids, and even drive the same car, but i have to pay more health assurance then my identical brother, why?

Because my brother likes to collect coins as a hobby, me i visit extreme sports sites, look for and visit sites that sell the gear for extreme sports.

Why because they have strict privacy laws?

Most people see that as a good thing, those laws dont stop you from using the web services as Google wants you to do, it just demands that people can at least opt-out of all the data collecting, on the vendor locked-in services that Google has created.

Why because they are very much the same as the US, in thinking they are the best country in the world?

I freaking hate the France, but i would still really prefer there law system of that of the US any day of the week.

I really wished that people stopped just reading the headlines, and looked what really going on, as most would then wonder why the US government is not doing the same thing.
LAWLZ

The EU is starting to sound like the mob. "We'll protect our own but first, we're going to take your money & you'll like it when we keep coming back for more."
Right .... And the US is squeaky clean.

Even if your right, we are not even close to what the US & UK did in the 50s, overthrowing the democratically elected Iran government with a terror campaign because the Iraniers dare to think that pre WWII colonial contracts ware to beneficial for BP, if reading history is to complicated, there is a comic version,

And why stop there, if it once worked why not try it again and again and again with the banana republics in midden America.

including killing of ''comie'' or ''rouge'' state leaders, a practices that was stopped not because it was deemed wrong, bud because of fear that it would backfire, and that i missed assassination could end op in retaliation on US leaders.

And the US even spied on its friendly nations, including spying diplomats during trade negotiations to get a better deal.

If we are MOB like, what is the US then?, or is just that we still have to learn a lot from you?

Back