PlayStation 4's Lightbar Function Revealed

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
If you have a PS4 and have been wondering all of this time what the heck the lightbar was for when it turned different colors, you will know very soon. Just think Project Morpheus. :cool:

Sony hasn't revealed more about the Morpheus prototype headsets since the reveal at the Game Developers Conference in March, but we can expect to learn more next month at E3.

I lold that people were whining that it was reflecting on their TV. Oh dear, a life where you can't figure out how to put tape on something must be rough.

well in the idiot kids defense... we have been raising the children to be more and more helpless with every generation. Problem solving and a DIY approach just don't seem to be a part of kids these days.

I still don't see how the PS4 is going to have enough power to drive a VR headset at a framerate that isn't nausea inducing / pixelated.

I still don't see how the PS4 is going to have enough power to drive a VR headset at a framerate that isn't nausea inducing / pixelated.

The Morpheus uses a single 1080p LCD panel, which is divided in half to provide a 960x1080 image per eye. So essentially, the PS4 is still pushing out 1920x1080. There is some overhead in the stereoscopic process, but not enough to cause a noticeable FPS drop (my speculation).

The Morpheus uses a single 1080p LCD panel, which is divided in half to provide a 960x1080 image per eye. So essentially, the PS4 is still pushing out 1920x1080. There is some overhead in the stereoscopic process, but not enough to cause a noticeable FPS drop (my speculation).

The games are also less graphically intense, which is a given tradeoff due to the new level of immersion

just wondering, if it will be used for tracking why not just go the microsoft route?, meaning, instead of visible light, go IR or any other spectrum we cannot see, or does that require more power to run?

Oh it's related to Sony's "we want to join OR on the burning money stupidly" bandwagon.
Ok I no longer care about the light bar on my controllers. Would be nice to turn it off it it offers battery savings, but don't care beyond that.

I don't see it taking off tbh, too many memories of the Sega VR (for those who remember that)

I don't see it taking off tbh, too many memories of the Sega VR (for those who remember that)

Too many memories of something you question people remembering? An unreleased product to boot? I mean why not use the virtual boy or the cyber 1000cs as an argument.

well in the idiot kids defense... we have been raising the children to be more and more helpless with every generation. Problem solving and a DIY approach just don't seem to be a part of kids these days.

Those damned kids these days don't know anything! *shakes a cane while standing in front of the blinking 12:00 on the VCR*

Seriously, as an early childhood development expert, I can safely say that children are no more pr less helpless than previous generations. Dumb begets dumb and smart begets smart which is more of a matter of genetics than whether or not they're playing video games on an Intellivision or a PS4.

VR is something you have to try to buy. Once they have them set up at Best Buy or even better Walmart or something like that, these will fly of the shelves (both OR and Morpheus)

This isn't the 90's where you strap a giant TV to your head to see 2D sprites at different distances. I have the Rift DK1, and when you put it on, you practically are transported somewhere else. You're inside the game, actually looking around yourself. It's jaw dropping.

The games are also less graphically intense, which is a given tradeoff due to the new level of immersion

Um it a horrible tradeoff given how close you will be seeing the images and discerning them.

VR is something you have to try to buy. Once they have them set up at Best Buy or even better Walmart or something like that, these will fly of the shelves (both OR and Morpheus)

This isn't the 90's where you strap a giant TV to your head to see 2D sprites at different distances. I have the Rift DK1, and when you put it on, you practically are transported somewhere else. You're inside the game, actually looking around yourself. It's jaw dropping.

Yea, then people will realize how cumbersome they actually are and how often they don't use them. Then there will be a huge second hand market for them, new unit sales will plummet and software sales will slow to a trickle which is where the actual profit is anyhow. Then just like 3d/motion control and all the other stupid gimmicks it will go away again.

The blind optimism with zero regard for reality around these things just makes me laugh.

Back