Amazon Bans Mediabridge for Threatening Reviewer

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
It seems like there is justice over at Amazon after all. Amazon has taken the high road and banned Mediabridge from selling or advertising on Amazon over a threat made to a customer over an unfavorable review of a Mediabridge product.

Though its not sure that's what prompted the company to ban Mediabridge, but the US-based networking company's selling privileges are revoked as soon as it was possible.

Excellent. That's probably a huge source of revenue that MediaBridge just lost because their management is a bunch of dummies.

Stupid vendor: "we have power, puny customer."

Amazon: "not as much as you think, puny vendor."

Excellent example of comeuppance.

Good riddance. You can buy the same crap direct from China without the middle man markup.

I did not keep up with this all that much, but from what I saw, the reviewer did go out of his way to make a point....But it looked like the points were valid and are reviews I find useful as it sparks me to research the product more.

And the fact Amazon has done this shows they listen to what their customers want and makes me glad I picked Amazon over NE for the PSU I bought the other night. Now if they would just bring Sunday Delivery to Prime in my city...

Amazon didn't take anyone's side in this matter. Mediabridge violated Amazon's ToS, hence their privilege to sell their product on Amazon has been revoked. Mediabridge could have made their legal claim direct to Amazon to have the review removed instead Mediabridge decided to launch a direct legal assault on the reviewer (nevermind what the reviewer did was to a degree illegal in the civil courts).

A good precedent no matter the fine print. Hopefully it teaches them that its better to let someone say their piece and respond to them as they can or ignore them, than it is to try and silence people by threatening legal action.

Sigh...There was no unfavorable review. The jackals has waged a 2 year assault on mediabridge over what he thinks are fake reviews. Sad that a guy could make claims without evidence and everyone backs him up because it is against a big business. Sad state of affairs indeed.

Sigh...There was no unfavorable review. The jackals has waged a 2 year assault on mediabridge over what he thinks are fake reviews. Sad that a guy could make claims without evidence and everyone backs him up because it is against a big business. Sad state of affairs indeed.

You're confusing the players. This is a different person than the guy who was asking if the reviews were legitimate. Mediabridge handled both of them poorly, but since the person from this case was actually a customer, things went beyond a long internet thread.

You're confusing the players. This is a different person than the guy who was asking if the reviews were legitimate. Mediabridge handled both of them poorly, but since the person from this case was actually a customer, things went beyond a long internet thread.

I'm not finding that there were two reviewers. The ars technica article talks only about the user named trevely, and other articles reference the ars technica article and talk about trevely being the one to both question the legitimacy of the reviews and whether the router was identical to another router. Lots of things have been posted and then deleted.

From Amazon's TOS: "You may not ask buyers to remove negative reviews." Mediabridge did that.

With all the backpedaling that Mediabridge has done, I'm guessing that this scuffle has forced Amazon to look at and react to evidence that Mediabridge did post false positive reviews, because c'mon, if you have ever shopped for anything on Amazon, you know this happens on a widespread basis.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
giphy.gif

Gotta admit, nice to see Amazon smacking one down for us little people. I know theyre not technically taking sides and just enforcing their TOS's, but I dont think a Newegg or something similar would do this.
XLfXuQ

He said suspicious to be precise and that is far from saying it is fake or might be fake.

eBay in a similar situation would say "Suck a D***".

They ALWAYS side with the player who is making them the most money.

Well, the guy apparently went off on the company with libelous/defamatory statements. The company did not handle the situation as per Amazon's rules. I'd say they were both wrong. Too bad all of the sources of the alleged review posts have been taken down since this story gained traction. :/

Amazon didn't take anyone's side in this matter. Mediabridge violated Amazon's ToS, hence their privilege to sell their product on Amazon has been revoked. Mediabridge could have made their legal claim direct to Amazon to have the review removed instead Mediabridge decided to launch a direct legal assault on the reviewer (nevermind what the reviewer did was to a degree illegal in the civil courts).

Thanks for the post. Glad to see someone has some clarity and sense...

The legal action was for standard libel, which requires a retraction of the review and/or a printed amendment if decided in the plaintiff's favor (as you say, it is a matter for civil court). Maliciousness does not have to be proven except for special damages. It's quite possible Mediabridge could have made a good case for this give the facts at hand. However, the proper way is to go through Amazon and the reviewer's lawyer right from the get go, rather than at first sending threatening letters and failing to contact Amazon out of first-come courtesy as a matter of the terms of service (in other words, they could have bypassed the legal action by getting Amazon to remove the review). It was a complete mishandling of the situation on their part.

Excellent. That's probably a huge source of revenue that MediaBridge just lost because their management is a bunch of dummies.

I believe it was their only source of revenue. They may have just put themselves out of business.

From Amazon's TOS: "You may not ask buyers to remove negative reviews." Mediabridge did that.

That right there is the nail in the coffin for Mediabridge on this. Anyone who thinks they were justified in threatening to sue this guy, whether he was right or wrong, needs to keep this in mind.

Weird. People have been complaining about julianbakery threatening people in their reviews yet they do nothing

I'm not finding that there were two reviewers. The ars technica article talks only about the user named trevely, and other articles reference the ars technica article and talk about trevely being the one to both question the legitimacy of the reviews and whether the router was identical to another router. Lots of things have been posted and then deleted.

With all the backpedaling that Mediabridge has done, I'm guessing that this scuffle has forced Amazon to look at and react to evidence that Mediabridge did post false positive reviews, because c'mon, if you have ever shopped for anything on Amazon, you know this happens on a widespread basis.

The link points to the Amazon thread where B. Lawless continues to say the reviews are fake. This is the guy I thought it was referencing.

It is a damn shame Mediabridge took a stupid pill and reacted that way. I have the Router it works fine but the sad thing is Mediabridge had really really good customer service, if you had a problem they made it right no BS.

I had the time to write to both amazon and mediabridge expressing my displeasure over their actions and it's great to see Amazon take action and not tolerate that kind of crap.

When Mediabridges next quarter rolls around and they are looking at the sharp decline in sales/profits, I hope they hand out flyers with the name and address of the manager and lawyer who decided to take their case of "internet tough guy" to reality.

In soviet Russia no freedom of speech
In fascist corporate murica no freedom of speech either.

How ironic

It is a damn shame Mediabridge took a stupid pill and reacted that way. I have the Router it works fine but the sad thing is Mediabridge had really really good customer service, if you had a problem they made it right no BS.

Agreed

Bought some mediabridge 10' USB cables and extensions from Amazon, love the cables and they're quite nice, but with this coming to light even if Amazon had not banned them I would no longer purchase their products.

In soviet Russia no freedom of speech
In fascist corporate murica no freedom of speech either.

How ironic

I have to give you a few of :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: for that remark.

The first amendment which guarantees freedom of speech has to do with the federal government and as it pertains to you and I. You have absolutely NO such guarantee when it comes to private enterprise. If I ran a company I can restrict your right to speech on my forum, I can be as dictatorial as I want, I can ban someone for the color of their skin, their religion, or sexual orientation. While I would be guilty as hell in the court of public opinion, I would not be guilty of anything in a court of law. I can tell you to go get f**ked if you entered my store with a concealed firearm all because you have nothing more than civil protections when it comes to me vs you. Freedom of speech is not a civil protection.

What the reviewer did was illegal as hell and had he left the review in-tact Mediabridge would have been successful in their litigation of the reviewer. Mediabridge, which is likely a company of no more than 3 people however represents "big bad corporate america" so their choice to spend $500 and have outside counsel craft a legal threat backfired. Both sides were wrong in the matter though Mediabridge looks like the bigger ass for pulling the litigation-card and by being a private company.

In the end there would have been just one certainty if Mediabridge pursued this in the correct manner: Those with a normal IQ would have understood that the reviewer was in the wrong for committing libel and was rightfully sued for such stupidity though those with a lower IQ would be trumpeting their "We are the 99%!" battle call while ignoring logic and reason.

The first amendment which guarantees freedom of speech has to do with the federal government and as it pertains to you and I. You have absolutely NO such guarantee when it comes to private enterprise. If I ran a company I can restrict your right to speech on my forum, I can be as dictatorial as I want, I can ban someone for the color of their skin, their religion, or sexual orientation. While I would be guilty as hell in the court of public opinion, I would not be guilty of anything in a court of law. I can tell you to go get f**ked if you entered my store with a concealed firearm all because you have nothing more than civil protections when it comes to me vs you. Freedom of speech is not a civil protection.

What the reviewer did was illegal as hell and had he left the review in-tact Mediabridge would have been successful in their litigation of the reviewer. Mediabridge, which is likely a company of no more than 3 people however represents "big bad corporate america" so their choice to spend $500 and have outside counsel craft a legal threat backfired. Both sides were wrong in the matter though Mediabridge looks like the bigger ass for pulling the litigation-card and by being a private company.

In the end there would have been just one certainty if Mediabridge pursued this in the correct manner: Those with a normal IQ would have understood that the reviewer was in the wrong for committing libel and was rightfully sued for such stupidity though those with a lower IQ would be trumpeting their "We are the 99%!" battle call while ignoring logic and reason.

With your high IQ can you explain how the reviewer would lose? With what I have read, seems like he could get out of it, but I might not be that smart.

Amazon probably didn't like Mediabridge threatening one of its customers but I think the ban came from 2 another reasons.

First was the fact that MediaBridge was selling a repackaged Tenda Router without clarification (false advertising) and secondly that the reviews of the MediaBridge router looked very suspiciously as if they were astroturfed.(written by MediaBridge itself, or its associates).

Also I feel that Amazon felt its entire product reviewing system would be compromised if it allowed corporate bullies to threaten its customers, which would have put Amazon's own business model into jeopardy and it sure as hell wasn't going to tolerate that.

I had to chuckle at your firearms comment. I'd hope you have the required 30.06 sign warning that firearms are not allowed on premise. You can give oral notice, but forgoing the required signage, are you really going to stop every person that walks on site and use your preferred language to find out if they are carrying?

The funny part is me: a law abiding concealed carry would just turn around and leave taking myself and my money elsewhere. I'd love to be in the corner and see what happens when you tell a gangbanger or felon to "get fucked" to their face while they have their gun on them. Truth be told I carry a good majority of the time, and you would never know it unless you physically patted me down. If you own the store, its 100% within your right to push away the guys like me who did the paperwork, took the tests, and follow the laws. Let's hope you never see the day when someone who just flat doesn't care about the law strolls in and starts trouble, you are own your own at that point.

Back on topic - Mediabridge does not own or control the amazon review system so they have no right to request him to change or take it down. If he bought the router, he can say whatever he damn well wants about it. The man calls out some of the things Mediabridge is doing, and their first reaction is to sue? Sounds to me like they got caught with their pants down and were hoping a "legal" scare tactic would work. Look what it got them.

I'm sure there are bits of information about the whole situation we don't know. As an internet nobody it would be great if we could know if the routers they sell were chinese knock offs rebranded. You can spin it all you like with firmware (as mediabridge tried to do) but if it's the same physical router/design... it's a valid point the reviewer brings up. I'd love to know if Amazon keeps logs or IP addresses of submitted reviews. If there are indeed planted reviews it would be pretty easy to recognize a pattern of source IP's (unless the planted reviews took extreme measures to hide themselves which at that point becomes time/cost prohibitive) If Mediabridge was truly in the right they would pursue this to the end, suddenly they are on the retreat. I'd wager they have skeletons in their closet that would come to light in a courtroom setting.

Anyone with a "normal IQ" as you put it, would have simply ignored his negative comments, and if said company was truly innocent post of proof of trying to work with said customer to resolve any of their issues. In the end your company comes out looking like the hero and not some butt-hurt power tripping ass hat.

eBay in a similar situation would say "Suck a D***".

They ALWAYS side with the player who is making them the most money.

Yup. I had a guy selling those Korean 1440 screens, and he ripped me off for $500. EBay sided with him despite him being 100% wrong. I have been contacted by a dozen other users who were ripped off by the same seller. After fighting it for 2 years, I had a consumer protection agency threaten the seller. EBay banned me and another user for harassing the seller.
I no longer use eBay or PayPal.

I had to chuckle at your firearms comment. I'd hope you have the required 30.06 sign warning that firearms are not allowed on premise. You can give oral notice, but forgoing the required signage, are you really going to stop every person that walks on site and use your preferred language to find out if they are carrying?

It was sarcasm and an example of rights that can be privately restricted. I'm a firearm owner myself and I'd gladly ignore the 30.06 aka "everybody here is defenseless" signs on private property.

With your high IQ can you explain how the reviewer would lose? With what I have read, seems like he could get out of it, but I might not be that smart.

It has been said countless times already smartass.

Hint: The reviewer committed simple libel which is a civil offense. He may have removed or re-worded his review however I wouldn't be surprised if Mediabridge still decides to sue just to cause the guy some pain.

Ok ok chill , didn't know it was illegal what the guy did in any case wouldn't the law be involved instead of suing? In any case as for the rest of your post concerning rights and freedom of speech have you heard of anti discrimination laws? Private or not you can NOT fire someone for the color of their skin. In any case you proved my point, corporate American can do what it wants, the mistake you make is thinking the federal gov is anything different when truth is they support it and are financed by multinationals.

And the fact that your defending it and talking about your guns leaves me to say no comment. Thank you for reinforcing my belief in the soviets and Putin :)

Wait never mind, I just read the whole article, I would love for you to point out how what the reviewer did was illegal? Saying a router is crap is illegal? And you defending them?
Gotta love murica......

The link points to the Amazon thread where B. Lawless continues to say the reviews are fake. This is the guy I thought it was referencing.

Yeah, that thread was a couple years ago and had nothing to do with this one.

TD != B. Lawless

If you search mediabridge on Amazon there are a bunch of products from that company listed, so i don't understand the story.

Ok ok chill , didn't know it was illegal what the guy did in any case wouldn't the law be involved instead of suing? In any case as for the rest of your post concerning rights and freedom of speech have you heard of anti discrimination laws? Private or not you can NOT fire someone for the color of their skin. In any case you proved my point, corporate American can do what it wants, the mistake you make is thinking the federal gov is anything different when truth is they support it and are financed by multinationals.

And the fact that your defending it and talking about your guns leaves me to say no comment. Thank you for reinforcing my belief in the soviets and Putin :)

It's a civil issue, not a criminal issue. Mediabridge would sue the reviewer (civil), in a criminal proceeding the state or federal level would sue the reviewer (i.e The People vs. Reviewer).

Back