DDR4 Memory for Desktops Expected in Q3

Considering they can't sell new memory without something to support it, I'd say this is likely to coincide with the Haswell-E release. I'd really like to know are more narrowed down time frame. "Third quarter" isn't enough info. That just means sometime between the beginning of July and the end of September.

The good news is that when it becomes a standard and DDR3 is scarce and everyone is upgrading their dells and HPs we can sell our DDR3 at high prices.

Always happens when new RAM becomes a standard. :)

The good news is that when it becomes a standard and DDR3 is scarce and everyone is upgrading their dells and HPs we can sell our DDR3 at high prices.

yeah!

I was selling 512MB SD-RAM and 1GB DDR sticks for a fortune whenever I ran across them. Now that XP is dead though... I can't even give it away. And wow there are so many 256/512MB DDR2 sticks I've seen floating around... so worthless too.

More like three years later, it's about time and for the people that's looking forward to DDR 4 better have a fat wallet. :rolleyes:

OMG...I finally moved completely to DDR2 in like the last month on my home computers and then they announce this?! :( The industry needs to stop moving forward right now so I don't have to buy anything to keep up.

Note to self:
Upgrade to a full 16 gig of DDR3 next month (4gb x 4) before it goes the way of the dodo.

Crucial will break with tradition this summer and ship the new DDR4 memory modules for both servers and desktops simultaneously.
They pretty much have to now that Intel only supports one memory technology per CPU family and creates high end desktop parts by taking server part designs, unlocking the multiplier and disabling ECC and multi-socket support.

Upgrade to a full 16 gig of DDR3 next month (4gb x 4) before it goes the way of the dodo.
AIUI initially only the server and high end desktop will be getting DDR4, the mainstream desktop isn't likely to be getting it for a while. So DDR3 will be around for some time.

AIUI initially only the server and high end desktop will be getting DDR4, the mainstream desktop isn't likely to be getting it for a while. So DDR3 will be around for some time.

He's talking about his own desktop, which must not support 8GB DIMMs.

Yup.
Gotta love Dell.:D
But since its just an i5 I'll build another, just want to kind of max this one out to be me future *nix box to go with the Ubuntu laptop.

So.. 3-5 years from now.

People aren't upgrading like they used to. And the consumer oriented apps to take advantage of the extra memory plateaued half a decade ago.

mmm,

On that note I recently ran into a laptop (with an arrandale processor) that didn't like the memory I put in (windows wouldn't boot, neither would the installer for windows), on closer inspection I noticed that the 4GB sodimm I put in was single rank. I got a 4GB double rank sodimm and it worked fine.

I don't know for sure but I strongly suspect that fact the sodimm was single rank (and hence used 4 gigabit chips) was what caused the problem.

Yup.
Gotta love Dell.:D
But since its just an i5 I'll build another, just want to kind of max this one out to be me future *nix box to go with the Ubuntu laptop.

Well if it's a Lynnfield / Clarkdale i5 then that's a limitation of the processor, not the bios/motherboard. Sandy Bridge or newer though... then yeah that's Dell's fault

Well if it's a Lynnfield / Clarkdale i5 then that's a limitation of the processor, not the bios/motherboard. Sandy Bridge or newer though... then yeah that's Dell's fault
Either way its worth upgrading the memory and putting in a ssd before I start building the new box.
It'd be nice to use it as a Shield box for my Steam games too. I'd rather pay $200 to keep the kid's sticky fingers off of my keyboard and mouse than let them break my gear.
Because, you know, it wouldn't be the first time a kid thought my PC was "thirsty" and pour lemonade into.....

I've upgraded a number of Dell Laptops (Lattitude) and Desktops (OptiPlex) at the office to 16GB even though Dell says they only supported 8GB. Look at how much memory the Intel CPU supports, and upgrade the Bios to the latest version.

OMG...I finally moved completely to DDR2 in like the last month on my home computers and then they announce this?! :( The industry needs to stop moving forward right now so I don't have to buy anything to keep up.

lol, I know how you feel, I just about got moved completely to DDR3.
But just imagine how my poor Raspberry Pi feels with its SDRAM, not even DDR1! :p

Either way its worth upgrading the memory and putting in a ssd before I start building the new box.

A machine from three or four years ago is still totally viable. The only real bottlenecks are GPU and SSD. A 4ghz overclock on a Sandy Bridge CPU is easy and still very competitive with the newest parts.

lol, I know how you feel, I just about got moved completely to DDR3.
But just imagine how my poor Raspberry Pi feels with its SDRAM, not even DDR1! :p

Wait, I thought the Pi had some sort of DDR! :eek: How does it do some much awesome stuff with single data rate memory?

A machine from three or four years ago is still totally viable. The only real bottlenecks are GPU and SSD. A 4ghz overclock on a Sandy Bridge CPU is easy and still very competitive with the newest parts.

Indeed, in fact even further. I'm running a dual CPU Dell workstation from 2008 running 16GB of DDR2 ECC and it still WPrimes in just 7.5 seconds. How much faster do I need?

Picked most of the workstation up for just over $100!

Back