Elder Scrolls Online For Consoles Delayed Six Months

HardOCP News

[H] News
Well this is a refreshing change of pace. Console gamers are having to wait for the game to be ported, instead of vice versa. ;)

We continue to work on the console versions of ESO, and game development has been progressing steadily, but we are still working to solve a series of unique problems specific to those platforms. Integrating our systems with each console manufacturer's networks - which are both different from the PC/Mac system as well as different from each other - has been a challenging process.

Well I think that it's a great idea for them to wait 6 months and get the game dialed in correctly using the PC player base first as testers. That way the console launches can be less fraught with bugs and glitches. Not sure how forgiving they are to that type of thing.

I do think that it sounds odd that they can't get the networks to talk to the ESO servers. Just seems odd.

That's how it should of always been done PC first so the UI doesn't suck for it. Then port to the console.

I can't speak for the game as a whole but our guild was about 120 strong. Over the last 2 1/2 weeks going on 3 weeks, we are down to 30 - 40 players and even that number is starting to slip. I'm thinking they might not having the success they were hoping for. However, if this comes to consoles. I can see kids eating this shit up. It still does need a lot A LOT of polish.

I still think this will be pretty amazing for all the kids out there on consoles if it's like the PC version which it should be 100%

Six months sounds about right for fixing ESO. Best of luck to them, there is a lot of good stuff in ESO mixed in with the bad.

That's how it should of always been done PC first so the UI doesn't suck for it. Then port to the console.

Hopefully this will be more common in the current generation with console architecture changes.

I can't speak for the game as a whole but our guild was about 120 strong. Over the last 2 1/2 weeks going on 3 weeks, we are down to 30 - 40 players and even that number is starting to slip. I'm thinking they might not having the success they were hoping for. However, if this comes to consoles. I can see kids eating this shit up. It still does need a lot A LOT of polish.

I still think this will be pretty amazing for all the kids out there on consoles if it's like the PC version which it should be 100%

Yup, I bought my wife the Imperial Edition because she wanted it so badly. Only for her to play it during the beta and tell me she didn't like it. Which of course, since I decided to save money and only purchased the digital Imperial Edition....I couldn't return.

So she played through the final phases of the beta, played the early release, played the months worth of it, and then canceled. Mentioned how it had gotten somewhat better, but still enjoyable for her. Mentioned she'd probably go back once the userbase was no longer full of "immature annoying little brats who's mommy should smack them around for how they talk and act" as well as hopefully doing something about the crazy amount of bots going around and messing up the quests for people.

Mentioned she'd probably go back once the userbase was no longer full of "immature annoying little brats who's mommy should smack them around for how they talk and act" as well as hopefully doing something about the crazy amount of bots going around and messing up the quests for people.

She new to MMOs? :p

She new to MMOs? :p

^ this

But once you get out of the newb zones the bots pretty much clear out. Once you get into the veteran content (which constitutes about 60% of your game time) there are pretty much no bots, at least not that I've seen.

I could be ahead of the curve and they may catch up to me, but it's been pretty smooth on my end barring a few bugs here and there. The main story and faction story lines are better than I expected from an MMO, and the final quests for each scenario had me pretty much riveted.

Sadly the UI has already suffered. There is a total of 5! quick slots for abilities. You can swich your weapons and that makes another 5 slots available, but that just slows things down. Also for things like healing, you really dont target. You just spam healz, and it auto targets the lowest health player or its an AOE heal. Its very dummed down for console players.

I wonder if the game will make it 6 months...

It's really not selling.

Well I suppose it's still doing ok when compared to Final Fantasy 14 Online, which took 3 years to make it to console after being released on PC (but had the UI designed to be on a console). Which also included a complete overhaul of the game during that time.

Well I suppose it's still doing ok when compared to Final Fantasy 14 Online, which took 3 years to make it to console after being released on PC (but had the UI designed to be on a console). Which also included a complete overhaul of the game during that time.

It's basically a totally different game with the same name. Since starting from scratch and remaking the game it's now incredibly popular with over 2 million subscriptions and still climbing, even 8 months into its life which is unprecedented for a subscription based MMO since WoW (most drop off within 6 months). My server I play on (Odin) is busier than its ever been.

Also FFXIV works across both PC and PS4 without dumbing down content or splitting the player-base by platform. Why can't ESO?

Personally I think they have probably delayed ESO on console due to it flopping on PC so they can launch F2P on PC at the same time and hope the concurrent console launch will somehow soften the F2P announcement for people. That's my prediction.

Back