Nintendo Continues To Blame Wii U For Its Financial Woes

HardOCP News

[H] News
Nintendo is blaming its $457 million loss on the Wii U. Oh, how the mighty have fallen.

Nintendo Loses Wii U is doing much worse that it had anticipated. How much worse? It expected to sell 6 million fewer Wii U systems than originally forecast. With the financial year over, did they meet their target? Not quite. The company only sold 2.72 million consoles, falling short of their own revised figures.As Wii U Sales low to a crawl

I think Nintendo needs to stop trying to be new and innovative and just go back to what works.

Little kills a company faster than upper management overconfident in their brand and their lack of need for non-gimmicky innovation. Nintendo could do the gimmicks when they had their base systems ruling the school. Now they think everyone needs to respond to them. Bad management.

They need to release a new console called the Wii 3.
Make Wii U games backwards compatible.
No more weird tablet controller based games.
Focus on innovating new software (games) not weird hardware.
If anything focus on VR, it's actually going places.

Sony went back to basics with PS4, it's done incredibly well.

Build a system that, developers, and publishers want to use.

It's a nice system, and a great idea where I can play on the handheld device while something else is going on with the TV, but the hardware in the console itself, just doesn't seem to be good enough to compete.

Nintendo has piles of money.

The new 3D mario is pretty fun. I assume Mario kart will be pretty good too.

Things like this make me want to dig up the boatload of posts from those who couldn't see the obvious when it wan't released just to rub the fact that many of us called this.

But i figure, they are probably miserable enough with their no game system and constantly battling that stupid ass controller.

Hopefully the next version has normal controllers and is BC so I can pick up the few games that are good. Much like Ms needs to abandon the forced kinect, nintendo needs to abandon the tablet. Both end up reducing the price point of the device where it can actually be competitive and doesn't force consumers to buy additional shit just to use it day 1.

Where's my new Monster Hunter? My new Zelda? My new Metroid? Star Fox? Resident Evil?

Your system is fun enough. Give it some god damned games!

I think its time for nintendo to drop the hardware business and go software only.

It has several succesful franchises. They could go multiplatform. The games don't really need powerfull hardware. I bet they can make them run even on mobile devices.

They need to release a new console called the Wii 3.
Make Wii U games backwards compatible.
No more weird tablet controller based games.
Focus on innovating new software (games) not weird hardware.
If anything focus on VR, it's actually going places.

Sony went back to basics with PS4, it's done incredibly well.

I really hope PS4 can catch up to the media abilities of the PS3. That is a BIG reason why I haven't upgraded. My remote works with the PS3 (with an adapter pfft at least it works)... so far it looks like PS4 only supports HDMI-CEC which is dependent on TV/Stereo models and support.

I was under the impression this generation would be more integrated to media not less then previous generations at least.

I really like my WiiU. I was skeptical at first, but it now gets more use than any other console we have. They really do need to do something about the games though.

I really like the dual screen. From being able to switch to the gamepad when someone wants to watch TV, to the use of it in certain games against others who play on the TV, to other stuff I didn't know existed. It was quite fun during the NFL season with the TV function and watching the drives on the WIi remote and also using it to talk trash and compete against others for points in what sort of play will be called next type of deal.

As a long-time Nintendo fan (from SNES through to the Wii), as weird as this is about to sound, I activel WANT Nintendo to fail.

Why?

Simple. Nintendo has become arrogant. It got lucky with the Wii and (to a lesser extent) with the GameCube, but the Wii U has shown that it can't continue to operate as if it always knows best. For decades I've wanted Nintendo to actually listen to its fans and change its direction, but the Wii U failing might just be the trigger event to finally cause this to happen.

Unless Nintendo really does a u-turn and -- perhaps more importantly -- actually develops new games, both with new and existing awesome franchises such as Star Fox, F-Zero and Earthbound, then I imagine that its plight will go from bad to worse.

Unless you really want to buy a console just for Mario Kart, a lot of gamers are going to keep giving the console a wide berth. Personally speaking I'd prefer Disney to buy Nintendo and turn them into a massive software developer, with games on all consoles and PCs/MACs.

I think its time for nintendo to drop the hardware business and go software only.

It has several succesful franchises. They could go multiplatform. The games don't really need powerfull hardware. I bet they can make them run even on mobile devices.

Last time Nintendo did that we ended up with Hotel Mario on the Phillips CD-I. Not a good idea.

For the most part the WiiU doesnt have games I really care about right now. They are coming but even then they don't have a huge library. When it comes to 3rd party no one wants to play it on the WiiU if the have a PS4 or Xbox One version. Can the WiiU live solely by its first party? We can see right now that it can't. I think the PS4 out sold the WiiU already.

Seems to me calling it the WII U was a big mistake. No clear distinction it's a new console.
And if they only want to put out Mario games for it forget it. You need your core franchise's. Like Metroid and Zelda. Nintendo needs to sack their president. He's too weak. Need someone like the former President. That is why Nintendo thrived.

Stop making Nintendo Wii's period. License your games to PS4, Xbone, PC. Profit.

Calling it the Wii U was a mistake since you don't give it any real identity as a separate console, to this date I see "Released on the WIi U" and I instantly think "Oh I can get that, I have a Wii" then a second later recall wait that's their next one.

Adding a table that more than doubled the price was a mistake. You can have an expensive top of the line console, or you can have a cheaper lower end console, you can't have an expensive low end console.

Games... (and Wii games) I got bummed out with the Wii games, many made awkward ways of integrating the WiiMote controller, many were "Crippled" versions of what was available "Really Madden 20XX doesn't have season play on the Wii version but every other version does?" (or something along those lines. And the only game I really cared about playing... the new Mario Kart wasn't out, then it becomes a point of do I really want to play the same stupid kiddy sports games featuring Mario & Friends? Not really. Hell I got the Wii in the first place because the wife wanted it

If the WiiU was in the 150-199 price range I might cave and get one for the wife (and damn straight I'm going to play it too I paid for it!) but 299 is too much

Just think of all the money they could make if they directly ported all old nintendo / gameboy games to Android/iOS?

Yeah I know there are emulators, but those can be clunky. give me honest to goodness NES games for 1-2 bucks a piece and you'll see me waste some money.

Nintendo is definitely suffering from poor management. They pissed off too many 3rd party developers with the wii and now the Wii-U that it's hurting them now. They pulled a sega and look how that ended up.

Just think of all the money they could make if they directly ported all old nintendo / gameboy games to Android/iOS?
Yup! No one cares about their hardware, they want the software, so just be a software company.

Yup! No one cares about their hardware, they want the software, so just be a software company.

Of course, I'll take my Wavebird over just about any Xbox or PS controller there is. But yeah, it's time to dump hardware.

bought one when first released. Returned it 2 days later. Needed huge update out of the box that took 1-2 hours to download on my cable. after that, it was still buggy and ended up getting frustrated and returning it.

When you pay that much for a new console, the makers should MAKE SURE IT WORKS when it SHIPS!!!!!!

I believe it was said that Nintendo couldn't even get enough first-party content on the system early enough. This year looks to be better, but it would be foolish to buy Nintendo hardware for something other than its exclusives. I'm waiting on whatever Monolithsoft's X ends up being.

The last good console Nintendo released was the Super Nintendo. The SNES had good hardware for its time and fantastic, innovative gameplay. It also had broad appeal, while having plenty to offer the hardcore gaming crowd. Nintendo needs to drop all of the bullshit and gimmicks and go back and look at what made their older systems so great.

The last good console Nintendo released was the Super Nintendo. The SNES had good hardware for its time and fantastic, innovative gameplay. It also had broad appeal, while having plenty to offer the hardcore gaming crowd. Nintendo needs to drop all of the bullshit and gimmicks and go back and look at what made their older systems so great.

I've seen Youtubes of their prehistoric consoles and even tried playing some of their junk on an emulator and I'm just gonna say that they should most certainly not go back to making crappy jumping/platform games that rely on a combination of progressively increasing game speed and awful controller or character responsiveness to challenge customers. That would suck in today's profit driven competitive gaming industry.

The Wii was a very impressive console as well. Having motion detection right out of the box was something new and exciting.

I bought a WiiU the day it was released, mainly because my Wii stopped worked. My kids still play on the WiiU (mainly the new Skylanders game), but I am waiting for the new Mario Cart and Super Smash Brothers games. I still can't believe that neither one is out yet.

The WiiU seems to be more focused on the DS user base than the typical gamer. A TV isn't necessary if you play single player on most games. At times I like it, but I have a decent size TV and want to play on that the most.

I've seen Youtubes of their prehistoric consoles and even tried playing some of their junk on an emulator and I'm just gonna say that they should most certainly not go back to making crappy jumping/platform games that rely on a combination of progressively increasing game speed and awful controller or character responsiveness to challenge customers. That would suck in today's profit driven competitive gaming industry.

How old are you?

That's not all there was on the Super Nintendo. Not by a long shot. It had lots of great RPGs like FF3/6, all kinds of simulation and strategy games, racing games, fighters, and so on. Many genres we now take for granted were largely pioneered on the Super Nintendo.

Yeah I know there are emulators, but those can be clunky. give me honest to goodness NES games for 1-2 bucks a piece and you'll see me waste some money.

What do you mean? They're not clunky at all. They emulate the game console. Just click "open rom" and then click the rom file. Thats it. You're done.

The Wii was a very impressive console as well. Having motion detection right out of the box was something new and exciting.

I bought a WiiU the day it was released, mainly because my Wii stopped worked. My kids still play on the WiiU (mainly the new Skylanders game), but I am waiting for the new Mario Cart and Super Smash Brothers games. I still can't believe that neither one is out yet.

The WiiU seems to be more focused on the DS user base than the typical gamer. A TV isn't necessary if you play single player on most games. At times I like it, but I have a decent size TV and want to play on that the most.

The Wii was a gimmicky piece of outdated garbage.

Also, the gamecube was just a "me too" system that didn't stand out in any way, and with the N64 they made the massive blunder of continuing to use cartridges when everything was switching over to discs.

I stand by what I said. The SNES was their last good console.

too many people were burned by the Wii and still own one of those

Wii had some good games like Punch Out and Deadly Creatures =)
Conduit =)

Nintendo has piles of money.

The new 3D mario is pretty fun. I assume Mario kart will be pretty good too.

They have billions and billions in the bank. Even with this lose its far from the end.

However what they do during the next 2-3 years will either save or destroy them. I can't not imagine Nintendo having a home console much longer , they seem to understand portable gaming much better than home consoles.

Either way , fire the current CEO.. he constantly acts like if he just adds a bit more pepper to the recipe that billions of dollars will materialize out of thin air for them.

I wish they would have just released a new Wii (perhaps calling it something different) with upgraded hardware specs and new games. That tablet controller looks stupid and the whole thing is too expensive. It's the first Nintendo console that I didn't buy.

Regarding games, they needed more first party games, not 3rd party games. Aside from PS2, I've never owned another brand of console. Call me crazy, but when I look over their library of games, absolutely nothing interests me, at all. You could give me a free PS4 or Xbox, and it would sit unused because I would have nothing to play. I will never play an FPS game on a console, that's what PC's are for. The franchises that Nintendo have are just flat out better.

I bought my Wii on launch day. I used it almost daily until about a year ago when it died on me. If the Wii U dumped the tablet and dropped the price to under $200, I'd pick one up today.

Look, when you design your system and the hardware isn't powerful enough to run current game engines, like Frostbite, no Dev in their right mind is going to rewrite their engine JUST FOR YOUR SYSTEM. Not happening, and you were stupid to believe they would.
The big N still has a great handheld division, but the N-64 was the console that started making Nintendo irrelevant in the home and its been all downhill since.

The big N still has a great handheld division, but the N-64 was the console that started making Nintendo irrelevant in the home and its been all downhill since.
Amen. I don't even allow anyone to say the N-word in my house, as I find it offensive.

Back