11 Facebook Posts That Will Get You Fired

HardOCP News

[H] News
As stupid as most of the things on this list are, it's astounding how often you have to tell people not to do them.

When you’ve added those who employ you as Facebook friends, it’s probably best to keep most thoughts regarding your terrible work habits to yourself, unlike what has seemingly transpired in this post

12.) Do not share this on Facebook if it will get you fired. :D

Last edited:
Yeah, this is why I don't use FB much. While it's easy to the issues with most of the examples here, the teacher with the beer and wine? That's one that I wouldn't have though problematic in a million years. Heck, when I was kid growing up in a small city I'd see teachers here and there drinking and smoking out and about. People drink alcohol and have for thousands of years including Jesus Christ. Heck we turned water into wine. That's the best promotion of alcohol I know of.

I stopped using fb. But when I was using it, I made a point to never FB friend anyone I worked with, ever.

That KFC one made me chuckle. Reminds me of when I worked fast food. Worse has been done. If you are an asshole when ordering at a fast food restaurant, remember they are working a shit job, with shit pay. And will probably shit in your happy meal. You will probably even eat it without complaint.

That KFC one made me chuckle. Reminds me of when I worked fast food. Worse has been done. If you are an asshole when ordering at a fast food restaurant, remember they are working a shit job, with shit pay. And will probably shit in your happy meal. You will probably even eat it without complaint.

Rule of thumb. Never be rude to anyone that is in the chain of custody of anything entering your bloodstream.

Hmm, if I were a boss...
1. Won't bother me, I'm not here for you to like me.
2. Maybe
3. Don't care, your personal life.
4. More than likely.
5. Druggie, fire him.

Running out of time, I'll finish it up tomorrow.

Two on that list just should of never happened and speak more of their higher ups being tools.

The Teacher who got forced to resign over the pictures of her drinking on her personal time. Fuck the parents who complained and fuck those who forced her out of a job.

The Bus driver making what was a perfectly reasonable statement concerning lunches. I see absolutely nothing wrong with his rant.

The Bus driver making what was a perfectly reasonable statement concerning lunches. I see absolutely nothing wrong with his rant.

The problem was that it wasn't a perfectly reasonable statement:

School board officials didn’t take the critique well, and in fact found no proof that the boy went without lunch.

Government provided school lunch is already a very politically sensitive subject in a lot of places. For a school bus driver to say that crack heads are taking money away from feeding children will simply have no good outcome particularly when there's no evidence that the child in question wasn't getting a government provided lunch.

Put your employer into a Kobayashi Maru and you will probably need a new employer.

The problem was that it wasn't a perfectly reasonable statement:

Government provided school lunch is already a very politically sensitive subject in a lot of places. For a school bus driver to say that crack heads are taking money away from feeding children will simply have no good outcome particularly when there's no evidence that the child in question wasn't getting a government provided lunch.

Put your employer into a Kobayashi Maru and you will probably need a new employer.

While they found no proof in this particular case, that doesn't mean it doesn't happen. Again, while he may of been being abrasive, the fact of the matter is what he said rang of cold hard truth.

I post stuff on a secret mess board with foreigners I feel bad when people simply don't have a outlet to post the shortcoming of work on a the net because it's probably true.
Hell I had my store manager at Walmart telling me I'm going to Die to my face you think I give a puck bout what I post =)

While they found no proof in this particular case, that doesn't mean it doesn't happen. Again, while he may of been being abrasive, the fact of the matter is what he said rang of cold hard truth.

It doesn't work that way. You can't accuse your employer of a specific problem when there was no evidence of a specific problem. You can't specifically condemn people of things they didn't do. Conservatism 101.

Are you kidding me? A teacher posted a picture of her enjoying a beer on her private facebook page, and they fired her for it saying she was promoting alcohol consumption?

And a US Marine can't make a comment on his facebook that he doesn't like the current president? That they can even fire him for that, something he has likely devoted so much of his life toward?

Personally, this crap offends me. We need to maintain a separation of work and personal life, but soon with Google face recognition searches and cameras and recorders everywhere archiving everything and anything you do for decades down the line, that separation appears non-existent. Our HR not only checks FB btw from what I'm told on prospective newhires, but finds it suspicious anti-social behavior if the prospect doesn't post on social networks, a ding against them since they likely wouldn't work well with others.........

Are you kidding me? A teacher posted a picture of her enjoying a beer on her private facebook page, and they fired her for it saying she was promoting alcohol consumption?

And a US Marine can't make a comment on his facebook that he doesn't like the current president? That they can even fire him for that, something he has likely devoted so much of his life toward?

Personally, this crap offends me. We need to maintain a separation of work and personal life, but soon with Google face recognition searches and cameras and recorders everywhere archiving everything and anything you do for decades down the line, that separation appears non-existent. Our HR not only checks FB btw from what I'm told on prospective newhires, but finds it suspicious anti-social behavior if the prospect doesn't post on social networks, a ding against them since they likely wouldn't work well with others.........

I agree with you about the teacher. But as far as the Marine goes, there are very strict rules and regulations regarding what you can and cannot say when it comes to politics. Also, you swear an oath to obey the order of the President of the United States. Publicly disparaging him is considered detrimental to good order and discipline. Free speech is legally limited in the military under the Uniformed Code of Military Justice.

What he actually said was: "Screw Obama. I will not follow all orders from him." Which is tantamount to desertion. He doesn't have to like the president, but he does have to follow all orders handed down to him through the chain of command regardless of where they originate.

What he actually said was: "Screw Obama. I will not follow all orders from him." Which is tantamount to desertion. He doesn't have to like the president, but he does have to follow all orders handed down to him through the chain of command regardless of where they originate.

When you're in the US Military, the POTOUS is your CEO. It's called the Constitution. Anyone that criticizes their CEO publically even in a private company like that is going to lose their job. I thought conservatives were all about government being more like private businesses. At any rate it's called life which is also called don't write checks with your mouth your ass can't cash. They'll bounce.

Just don't friend your boss or allow friends of friends or non-friends to view your profile. Problem solved.

Also, don't post stupid shit in the first place.

I'm a big believer in separating work and life, if these things happened off work hours then I don't believe companies should even have the right to fire people. Sadly, that's not how it works these days. Though there's a few exceptions like faking being sick, or posting about bad work ethics but even then firing is a bit extreme. Maybe reprimanded.

#2 is also very iffy, lot of devices sign you in automatically. What if that person has facebook set as her home page and went to lookup something on the internet about migraines?

To play it safe though, I never mention anything about work on Facebook.

While some of those made perfect sense (don't insult your boss, talk about slacking, or post yourself doing illegal activities) the teacher drinking threw me. Yeah, she was drinking. She was over 21, and posted herself out at a restaurant having drinks. It's not like she was pulling out a bottle of Jack in class and chugging between math problems. So long as she's not coming to school impaired and not telling kids to go out and drink, what is it of others what she does that is perfectly legal?

Yeah. The teacher one seemed wrong to me, too. She did nothing wrong.

As for Facebook, I don't know why anyone would friend their bosses/superiors there. For me, Facebook is strictly personal, and Linked In is strictly business... Never shall the two networks meet.

Of course, you also shouldn't post stupid stuff in the first place.

Rule of thumb, if you can't say something to someones face- Don't say it on facebook.

Don't post incriminating shit on facebook. If its illegal DONT MAKE A DAMNED RECORD OF IT.

"OH HEY,I'LL JUST GIVE YOU ALL THE EVIDENCE YOU NEED TO CONVICT ME!"

ffs.

I agree. While I think using Facebook in general is ultimately stupid, people should have a right of expression. These cases of firing people for a harmless post makes it look like your country has no freedom of speech.

When you're in the US Military, the POTOUS is your CEO. It's called the Constitution. Anyone that criticizes their CEO publically even in a private company like that is going to lose their job. I thought conservatives were all about government being more like private businesses. At any rate it's called life which is also called don't write checks with your mouth your ass can't cash. They'll bounce.

Yeah except there's supposed to be a little thingy called freedom of speech that's supposed to protect the citizens from the governments butt hurt knee jerk reactions to criticism.

Just don't friend your boss or allow friends of friends or non-friends to view your profile. Problem solved.

Also, don't post stupid shit in the first place.

Um.. whats the point of having a FB account if your friends can't view it?

Better just not have one at all.

I think half of these are just plain silly.

Social Media and work should never be mixed.

1. I hate my boss? she got fired over that? that's first amendment....

2. She logged into facebook? so what if she said she wasn't able to perform her job that day it shouldn't matter. It's called sick leave? or leave?

3.WTF? she was asked to resign over doing something perfectly legal?

4. See number 1, its a first amendment thing. As long as they actually followed company policy on the phones its no big deal....

5. Probably shouldn't post pictures of you smoking something. Then again how could they ever prove what he was actually smoking? Could have been tobacco, or tea leaf for all that matter. They probably should have just drug tested him....

6. Again first amendment. Free speech

7. You were caught playing hookie, probably deserve that one.

8. They lack proof she/he wasn't actually working , but yes if they could prove she/he wasn't working that is certainly grounds for termination.

9. First amendment again.

10. Can they prove he didn't purchase those potatoes? last I checked your able to eat how ever the F you want.

11. Probably not a good idea to piss off your boss by calling him names. Again its freedom of speech, Her boss is just an uptight asshole who is abusing his power, because he didn't like what she said about him.....

Honestly I think people take things entirely to personal when dealing with employees. It doesn't really matter if they don't like you, its a job. As long as your performing your duties it shouldn't matter how you or them feel about one another.

I guess not everyone is laid back like me.

Yeah except there's supposed to be a little thingy called freedom of speech that's supposed to protect the citizens from the governments butt hurt knee jerk reactions to criticism.

The military has different rules regarding freedom of speech. Much more restrictive.

I think half of these are just plain silly.

Social Media and work should never be mixed.

1. I hate my boss? she got fired over that? that's first amendment....

2. She logged into facebook? so what if she said she wasn't able to perform her job that day it shouldn't matter. It's called sick leave? or leave?

3.WTF? she was asked to resign over doing something perfectly legal?

4. See number 1, its a first amendment thing. As long as they actually followed company policy on the phones its no big deal....

5. Probably shouldn't post pictures of you smoking something. Then again how could they ever prove what he was actually smoking? Could have been tobacco, or tea leaf for all that matter. They probably should have just drug tested him....

6. Again first amendment. Free speech

7. You were caught playing hookie, probably deserve that one.

8. They lack proof she/he wasn't actually working , but yes if they could prove she/he wasn't working that is certainly grounds for termination.

9. First amendment again.

10. Can they prove he didn't purchase those potatoes? last I checked your able to eat how ever the F you want.

11. Probably not a good idea to piss off your boss by calling him names. Again its freedom of speech, Her boss is just an uptight asshole who is abusing his power, because he didn't like what she said about him.....

Honestly I think people take things entirely to personal when dealing with employees. It doesn't really matter if they don't like you, its a job. As long as your performing your duties it shouldn't matter how you or them feel about one another.

I guess not everyone is laid back like me.

You fail to understand first amendment rights. You keep referring back to them, except these are not government entities that are terminating these people. There are no first amendment protections in situations like this.

Last edited by a moderator:
You fail to understand first amendment rights. You keep referring back to them, except these are not government entities that are terminating these people. There are no first amendment protections in situations like this.

Your dead wrong.

Off-duty conduct laws. A number of states have passed laws that prohibit employers from disciplining or firing employees for activities they pursue off-site, on their own time.

Yes the first amendment doesn't protect you from corporations, however there are plenty of state laws which protect you while your not at work. IE you can call your boss a retard as long as its not at the work place..

Maybe you refrain from calling people names. You might piss someone off, and get all your data erased, just saying...

Last edited by a moderator:
Your dead wrong.

Off-duty conduct laws. A number of states have passed laws that prohibit employers from disciplining or firing employees for activities they pursue off-site, on their own time.

Yes the first amendment doesn't protect you from corporations, however there are plenty of state laws which protect you while your not at work. IE you can call your boss a retard as long as its not at the work place..

Maybe you refrain from calling people names. You might piss someone off, and get all your data erased, just saying...

You can say anything during off hours. Don't make a record of it.
We live in a world where your image is measured in dollars. Don't trash it and then play innocent.

About a 18 months ago, when I started my current job, my boss asked if he could friend me for business purposes. I promptly said no. He asked why. I told him that it is against my policy as an employee since it can cloud the defined relationship as employer and employee. He agreed. When he does something for Facebook be will just mention me by name.

About 6 months ago I had been working there, we hired another person in our department. It turned out this person lived about 1/2 mile from my boss. They became friends and do things outside of work all the time. However, I see the issues that come with it. Now all I hear is the co worker complain about something or another and the boss getting "annoyed" with this employee. Personally, I am ready for a change in scenery if you know what I mean.

As for work, I tend not to discuss anything on Facebook about my employer. For what it is worth, I say use some common sense. Most of postings have to do with an activities I participate outside of work that deal with my family and close friends. Nothing about work.

If the teacher would have been holding 1 drink instead of 2, she would not have been fired. I don't agree with her firing, but that distinction obviously had something to do with it.

Your dead wrong.

Not necessarily true. At-Will is in most states and employers do not have to give you a reason why you're being fired. They can see your facebook post, say you're canned, and they don't have to say why.

Your dead wrong.

The first amendment simply states that congress shall not enact any law that limits free speech. Many people cry violation of free speech when someone is fired when they have no understanding of what the first amendment actually does. Calling the poster an "idiot" was a bit much, but the poster was still correctly addressing what was being said.

Many of these if common sense would have prevailed could have been avoided very easily. Just them separate and restrict access to your Facebook or don’t even have one.

As for the military, Yes there are restriction of whom and what you can say for politics, especially for the POTUS.

Many people here fail to understand the concept of libel.

Facebook is a public forum. What you say there is distributed to many people. If you post things like
"my company is ripping off customers"
"our accounting people don't know what their doing"
"my boss is just making himself rich"
"my boss only has an undergrad degree. i have masters. what does he know."

or some such accusatory things (which i have seen) without the least amount of evidence, or coherence, to the point where it just sounds like a butthurt rant - then you are attempting to damage the reputation of that company and you deserve everything that's coming to you.

People often post shit like this after they've left a company. They leave an office happy and friendly, and then turn around and start saying the nastiest things about it.

Facebook is not your private life. First amendment has nothing to do with it. And more than half of you here have no sense of workplace ethics or professionalism.

PS
Posting this while at work.

Well, the teacher thing gets worse when you read the actual article.

Court documents reveal that officials warned teachers about 'unacceptable online activities'. They claimed her page 'promoted alcohol use' and 'contained profanity'.

Apparently she would have to be a priss if she wanted to keep her job.

Back