Cooler Master V850 850W Power Supply Review @ [H]

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
Cooler Master V850 850W Power Supply Review - Cooler Master has been off our radar for a few years now as its power supplies were simply not up to snuff. Cooler Master's focus is back on enthusiast PSUs now with a lineup of new power supplies. The first one we are reviewing powers in at 850 watts, is a fully modular unit and it touts a host of high quality components and features.

I'm glad to see Cooler Master back in the game. But I wonder why it received a Silver award if, for the same price, you can get two more years on a warranty from Seasonic. What separates the Cooler Master unit enough from the Seasonic unit to justify paying the same price for a shorter warranty? Genuinely curious as I had planned to pick up a Seasonic unit next week.

I'm glad to see Cooler Master back in the game. But I wonder why it received a Silver award if, for the same price, you can get two more years on a warranty from Seasonic. What separates the Cooler Master unit enough from the Seasonic unit to justify paying the same price for a shorter warranty? Genuinely curious as I had planned to pick up a Seasonic unit next week.
I don't know what happened to the V850's price but it spent most of the 2nd half of 2013 at or below $100.
It was $139.99 in JonnyGuru's review and part of its high score was due to the price.

I'm not sure Cooler Master is even making V-Series units anymore since they're all out of stock everywhere, except the new V1200 which is just now releasing. Not sure what's going on with the rest of their units.

The V850 released last year, around July, so it's not a new unit.

For one, you can always get a hold of a CM rep here, on social media, or on Reddit :)

The warranty is something we're looking at adjusting. For the V1200 we've already added the 7 year warranty and can be retroactively applied to the remaining V Series, but you're right the stock issue is pretty bad.

In response, we've done a lot of improvements of our own design and plan on launching our new V Semi Modular series (which won't be a Seasonic re-brand, but an in-house design) and we believe it will really show a great value.

You can learn more about this upcoming product here: http://us.coolermaster.com/vsm/

I have been using the V850 since October (managed to get it as a Shell Shocker from Newegg for $80, which for this unit was an absolute steal) of last year and I think it is a great unit! The only thing that could be better are the cables (too stiff) and the lack of sleeved solutions from CM directly.

Other than that this is a really solid PS.

Back