Windows 8 UX Pack and Windows 8 Transformation Pack 8.1 Ships

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
With all of the negative press over the look and feel of Windows 8, it seems really out of place for other Windows operating systems to want the same look and feel, but If you are running a non-W8/8.1 system and want to ‘upgrade’ your desktop to a W8 skin, follow the link for a free download.

The latest version of the tools, which aim to give users the Windows 8.1 look and feel in earlier versions of Windows, have been updated to squash bugs and generally improve each pack’s stability.

why-would-you-do-that.jpg

The Win8 visual style has grown on me. At first, I hated it. But now, Windows 7 with all its hipster transparency seems strange to me.

The Win8 visual style has grown on me. At first, I hated it. But now, Windows 7 with all its hipster transparency seems strange to me.

Same.

We still use Win7 at work and it looks sad and dated. Makes me miss the file manager and ribbon.

Same.

We still use Win7 at work and it looks sad and dated. Makes me miss the file manager and ribbon.

said no one ever....
guess if you like your OS looking like its 1992 again what ever

Hasn't grown on me, I fucking hate it with a passion that can only be described as the fiery cores of a billion suns! But in all seriousness, it gives me a very bad feeling of anger when the UI changed that dramatically, and apparently there is no "classic" look you can default to without using a 3rd party app.

How about a Windows 7 transformation pack to un-fuck Windows 8

I mean seriously? They're bothering with this while just putting the damn start menu back as an option is taking years.

YEARS

I don't care what Windows looks like anymore. After 8.1 updates made a Windows 8 laptop stop working right and there's this looming further integration with remote services they're passing off as "cloud-connecting" plus potential subscriptions, Windows can look like whatever it wants because my kitty and I are now moving to Linux Mint. =^..^=

He's become a Windows XP-- er 7 fanboi who just can't let go :D
I just want my windows to look like Windows 98/2000. The only reason that I haven't "upgraded" to 8.1 is because they killed off the Windows Classic theme. I never liked the Win XP, Vista, Win 7 themes. I don't even care about the start button or start screen.

Definitely something I don't want. I like having 3d buttons and such. I don't, however, like the animations and transparency but, thankfully, under Windows 7 I can disable/enable the bling I want. It's nice to have choice!

I don't care what Windows looks like anymore. After 8.1 updates made a Windows 8 laptop stop working right and there's this looming further integration with remote services they're passing off as "cloud-connecting" plus potential subscriptions, Windows can look like whatever it wants because my kitty and I are now moving to Linux Mint. =^..^=

Say hello to 50% slower wifi (shit drivers) and reduced battery life. It's worth it, though.

Ok, downloaded this and installed with default settings. Other than the start button change, and the side menu how is this different from any other theme? I mean where's the tile screen from windows 8, that is what I was expecting? I tried [windows][c] but that does nothing.

Say hello to 50% slower wifi (shit drivers) and reduced battery life. It's worth it, though.

I have had a few unexplained system freezes (2 in the last week) which I admit are annoying and I'll totally be the first person to say it's not perfect by a long stretch and not for people who don't wanna roll up their sleeves. As far as drivers are concerned, my Latitude D620 is fully supported. It wasn't ultra fast to begin with, I'm not a teenager anymore so I don't play computer games, but it seems like performance and battery life are pretty much more of the same as when the computer was on XP, Vista, 7, and 8 (yes, I've loaded pretty much every recent MS OS on it at one point or another...the poor thing). Mint 16 (cinnamon UI) boots and idles with like 230 MB of awesomeness. But yeah, it's not for everyone and gamers and less computer savvy or impatient people should look someplace else for an OS.

As for me, I'm getting ready to aviod the coming mandatory @outlook.com account, mandatory OneDrive storage, mandatory monthly subscription for your OS, mandatory application loading from the Windows Store, and so on. Despite its problems, I'm actually having fun using Mint. There's two more computers I'm looking at loading Mint on, but I might go grab Ubuntu for one of them and leave the other one as a Windows PC or dual boot it.

said no one ever....
guess if you like your OS looking like its 1992 again what ever

You just can't handle the glory that was Windows For Workgroups 3.1.1 running on MS-DOS 3.3 with QEMM.

Glory Days, indeed. Bruce Springsteen would have been proud.

Same.

+1 - <3 the ribbon. Haters are going to hate it even if it gave improvements to the old shitty 95 style interface.

[21CW]killerofall;1040807852 said:
I just want my windows to look like Windows 98/2000. The only reason that I haven't "upgraded" to 8.1 is because they killed off the Windows Classic theme. I never liked the Win XP, Vista, Win 7 themes. I don't even care about the start button or start screen.

I miss Classic too.

Indeed, sad and dated. Sad AND dated.

XXUYcwE.jpg

AOL grew to become HUGE and one of the most well known ISP's before it had nothing else to go on. Once dial-up was old news, it started to fall. Still, people know the "You've got Mail!" sound as AOL mail.

Microsoft has a lot more than just Windows to ride on. Windows also evolves with each release.

I would rather just upgrade to Windows 8.1 instead of just going for looks. The biggest benefits of Windows 8 are not the UI.

Back