Happy 45th Birthday to Our Friends Over at AMD

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Happy Birthday to the guys over at Advanced Micro Devices, you don’t look a day over 44. :D It sure doesn’t seem like 45 years ago that AMD started giving Intel a run for its money in the processor market. :cool:

For a short while they had the best cpus in the biz. Miss those days. My Tbird and a pencil. Happy bday AMD.

God bless em. When I was a broke ass gamer, they were giving me unlocked multipliers and quad cores for well under $100. Made me a fan.

love how they made intel sweat a few years there, competition is ALWAYS good.

I love them even more for their GPU's which have been excellent for gaming and made me some extra coin mining ;)

The weird thing is the picture of Sunnyvale in 1969 where there's nothing but grass and trees and the mountain. Now it's chock full of buildings, everywhere.

God bless em. When I was a broke ass gamer, they were giving me unlocked multipliers and quad cores for well under $100. Made me a fan.
Looks at sig... looks like you're still broke!

The weird thing is the picture of Sunnyvale in 1969 where there's nothing but grass and trees and the mountain. Now it's chock full of buildings, everywhere.
Yup, when i took the bus for middle and highschool they had acres of grass all surrounded by a white metal fence, fast forward to 2009 was when they sold that land to build townhouses.

Looks at sig... looks like you're still broke!

Thats cute. I wouldnt have thought spending $400 on a GPU meant you were broke. But back then, my whole rig barely cost $400. I had a $50 GPU and was gaming at 1024x768 and still having to turn settings down. LOL

Thats cute. I wouldnt have thought spending $400 on a GPU meant you were broke. But back then, my whole rig barely cost $400. I had a $50 GPU and was gaming at 1024x768 and still having to turn settings down. LOL

My whole rig costs about $400ish if you just count the board, APU, RAM, and one of the hard drives.

I too remember those grand days of cheap fast Athlons. A little over a decade back I had a Radeon 8600 (I think that was the model) that when it first came out was kicking ass and playing everything I threw at it. On my NEC CRT :cool:

Seem to have a better, more stable and consistent experience with AMD when I flip flop between the two. Thanks AMD.

BF4 Test Range on 2.3GHz AMD with R9 270X at 1920x1080 low:
ScreenshotWin32-0002a_zpsf60418b6.png

Started on a Celeron, went to a P4, then was AMD till last year when I bought my 3770K.

Always will have a soft spot for AMD, gonna get one of the 7700K cpu's to play around with sometime soon.

I remember playing Max Payne on my mom's Athlon 1.2ghz machine with an ATi Rage 128 Pro.

God damn, that thing was fast.

AMD Bartons, tape, superglue, exacto knife and a windshield wiper repair kit with heatsinks bought at the now gone crazypc.com along with a L shaped Radeon 9500 with a modified copper low clearance Intel heatsink and some copper fins for the ram gave me one hell of a gaming rig back in the day for under $500.
I stayed AMD until socket 939 came to an end, those all were some wicket chips.

I don't waste money on CPU's anymore. Last Intel CPU I purchased was an PIII 600. AMD from there on out.

It's such a shame that they threw it all away after they overtook Intel in the CPU race. I really hope they make their 50th birthday!

It's such a shame that they threw it all away after they overtook Intel in the CPU race. I really hope they make their 50th birthday!

I have no doubt they will. They're slowly turning the ship around. Now whether or not they'll be offering anything that interests us in terms of CPU's is another story. They seem to be focusing more on tablets and laptops than anything to do with high end performance. So while I'm sure they'll be around in 10 more years, I'm not sure if they'll be relevant to us [H] types anymore aside from GPU's.

Intel needs a competitor on the market, just like Nvidia needs a competitor. Monopolies hurt innovation. I'm running an Intel Core i7 on my primary system now, but I still have 3 functioning Athlon machines and two Opteron machines. Keep at it, AMD!

Back