Do You Abuse Your Keyboard And Mouse When Stressed?

HardOCP News

[H] News
Do you abuse your keyboard and mouse when stressed? Hell, I think most of us abuse them when we aren't stressed too. ;)

If gamers are known to beat the crap out of their input devices when stressed, what is to say we all don't? In other words, whether writing a paper or editing a spreadsheet under a deadline, maybe the amount of pressure that the person uses can detect stress. Well, Microsoft researcher Mary Czerwinski and her team decided to prove that theory through experimentation. The findings are eye-opening.

I'm honestly surprised I don't have a pile of broken-in-half keyboards by now.

I once punched my computer about 10 times in a row because it kept BSoDing (Win2k, ATI TV Wonder card causing the BSoDs). Broke the case and hard drive (when I turned it back on the HDD was making "squeak squeak, squeak squeak" noises). I was probably 14 at the time. I've gotten pissed at computers many times since and I still destroy stuff in my head at times, but have been able to keep myself from physically doing so.

I think I type a little faster and probably poke the keys a little harder if I'm all frazzled and stuff or in a hurry to get something done before a big deadline. I don't like go smashing stuff though or breaking things. That's a little too...um...primal and whatever.

I've never had to replace a keyboard, mouse or game pad for game rage. Wear and tear and/or children abuse (and why kb/m are wired for the foreseeable future), absolutely.

I'm just the type that "Oh, I died again? I think I need to check on the dishes."
I love gaming, but there's the part about being an adult, married, kids and being a homeowner and not wanting everything to break.

I have definitely done this while gaming and while working. There is also nothing quite as satisfying as taking a large hammer to a component that has failed and is no longer under warranty...

I bang/tap my mouse on my desk a little when I get frustrated at work, but have never broken anything. And I'm using an MX518 from God knows how far back. The trusty mouse that will never die.

I have definitely done this while gaming and while working. There is also nothing quite as satisfying as taking a large hammer to a component that has failed and is no longer under warranty...

OK.......I have to admit to throwing my VCR out my apartment window in college, and then running downstairs and beating it with a hammer. I think it had eaten its last tape at that point. But that was 20 years ago, and I was 3 sheets to the wind.

I don't regularly abuse my peripherals...but it does end up happening a couple times a year.

The last time I indulged in a frustration amelioration session, I slammed my Quickfire Rapid into my desk hard enough that it resulted in a sizable divot. Keyboard looks and works perfectly though.
As a result of my impromptu durability testing, I highly recommend CM Quickfire Rapid/XT/Ultimate/Stealth keyboards for self-defense in case of a zombie attack.

Got a new mouse and keyboard at work. I was really stressed out yesterday and slammed the mouse onto the table. Thankfully nothing was damaged. It was pretty stupid now that I look back at it.

Slamming mouses on the desk is a common thing when my computer or network is too slow to keep up with what I am doing such as simple tasks as sending an email.... Last thing I remember breaking really was a Sega Genesis third party controller that was thrown quite a few times, but I could always take it apart and fix it everytime, wish the same could be said with current electronics lol

No. I still have the same keyboard mouse from 5 years ago and they're out of warranty.

Not anymore.

I broke numerous keyboards during my CS days in college, but I've toned down the sage significantly since then.

Hell no. I pay for my shit, I would feel like a dumbass for breaking it, because I'm only punishing myself. You might as well key your own car.
If you're pissed, get up, walk around the office/house, use the bathroom, have a drink.

If you're pissed, get up, walk around the office/house, use the bathroom, have a drink.

A lot of men don't have that kinda emotional control. They stay impulsive and aggressive, lashing out at things that upset them with violent force for their entire lives. It's hormone and instinct driven stuff like that which causes a lot of problems for guys trying to live in modern society where that kinda stuff isn't acceptable.

When I was younger and didn't appreciate things so much. Once I learned to appreciate things, I took to pounding on my leg instead.

I have a nec ps/2 keyboard I beat on when I'm really angry. The mouse? Not so much. I know the keyboard can handle it. Its an nec copy of the ibm model m. (With all the mistakes removed0

When I was younger and didn't appreciate things so much. Once I learned to appreciate things, I took to pounding on my leg instead.

Last time one of my cell phones pissed me off so bad, I felt I had to break something but didn't want to be without a working cell phone, so instead of smashing my Galaxy S2 (which I fortunately upgraded from; what a POS) I grabbed my old HTC Mogul from a drawer and promptly smashed that as a proxy.

Anyone know where I can find a virtually indestructible wireless mouse and keyboard?

I do not do it to my primary mouse/keyboard as they are way to expensive however my $7 dynex keyboard worked as a good substitute when I got really pissed a computer not wanting to boot. :D

I don't ever do that to my mouse and/or keyboard, or any of the peripherals that my computer use. My mechanical keyboard shouldn't be my punching bag, and my mice are worth too much to me to do that kind of thing.

If anyone would take my mice and smash it to the ground, I'd charge them $100 on the spot to replace it. $150 for the keyboard and 1.5 grand for my surface 2 pro.

Last time one of my cell phones pissed me off so bad, I felt I had to break something but didn't want to be without a working cell phone, so instead of smashing my Galaxy S2 (which I fortunately upgraded from; what a POS) I grabbed my old HTC Mogul from a drawer and promptly smashed that as a proxy.
I applaud you for showing such patience and focus whilst in the grip of rage. :p

A lot of men don't have that kinda emotional control. They stay impulsive and aggressive, lashing out at things that upset them with violent force for their entire lives. It's hormone and instinct driven stuff like that which causes a lot of problems for guys trying to live in modern society where that kinda stuff isn't acceptable.

That's why you deal with people like that by handing them the collateral bill to cool their heads when the dust has settled. The payback in damage is a dish best served cold.

An $100 mouse caused me to lose a match in NS2 and after that it was a $100 mouse no more :)

Haha I've done that. Get super angry, don't break expensive product, smash a cardboard box or something cheap instead.

I used to have huge anger management issues as a kid, I managed to break a CRT monitor just by punching it. Then when I started paying for my own stuff I learned not to break things. Although I once accidentally sat on my $60 Icemats and snapped the left ear piece off so in anger I ripped it out of my PC and smashed the rest of it against a wall.

I don't abuse my equipment. I'm rough enough on it as it is from general use, and breaking what I need to have working is counter-productive.

Yup, I was cleaning my Daskeyboard yesterday and I found a cracked key cap. Only ever get mad over games though and usually only on games like LoL because people just make me mad.

I have a brother that broke pretty much every gaming console we had and is the reason I had to buy my own. I learned not to take my stress and anger out on devices from that. That being said, my desk and or keyboard tray do occassionally receive my wrath.

Yup, I was cleaning my Daskeyboard yesterday and I found a cracked key cap. Only ever get mad over games though and usually only on games like LoL because people just make me mad.

LoL definitely makes me quite upset from time to time. And by time to time I mean every other time I play it heh.

Hell no.
My keyboard cost me over $100, I don't abuse it and if someone looks at it wrong they're going to get their behinds whooped.
Now when I was a kid I abused the living crap out of my NES controllers. Dear god those things were built like tanks. They just don't make em like that anymore.

LoL definitely makes me quite upset from time to time. And by time to time I mean every other time I play it heh.

Me too - but usually not because of other people. What pisses me off the most is my own lack of dexterity, and my tendency to get tense and twitchy during the heavy action.

I can deal with other people being better than me, I can deal with myself not making the right move, but what angers me is when I know what to do and I accidentally press the wrong key or click in the wrong place or otherwise fail to reproduce my intentions.

Me too - but usually not because of other people. What pisses me off the most is my own lack of dexterity, and my tendency to get tense and twitchy during the heavy action.

I can deal with other people being better than me, I can deal with myself not making the right move, but what angers me is when I know what to do and I accidentally press the wrong key or click in the wrong place or otherwise fail to reproduce my intentions.

I am the opposite, I know what I do wrong and what I need to fix, but that is something I can control. What gets me mad is when you have teammates that blatantly do something stupid and absurd, or suggest other people do things that are blatant and absurd. Especially after the proper strategy was presented to them and they ignored it. Then you are presented with 2 options just going with the flow and almost definitely losing, or trying to beat your head against a wall by trying to convince them to follow the proper strategy, which usually just gets you yelled at.

I used to pick my mouse up maybe a half inch over the surface and slam it down. Surprisingly nothing broke, ever. Now I'm in the habit of buying expensive mice and keyboards that break without me needing to do anything. Oh life...you...you're good. Your'e good.

I am the opposite, I know what I do wrong and what I need to fix, but that is something I can control. What gets me mad is when you have teammates that blatantly do something stupid and absurd, or suggest other people do things that are blatant and absurd. Especially after the proper strategy was presented to them and they ignored it. Then you are presented with 2 options just going with the flow and almost definitely losing, or trying to beat your head against a wall by trying to convince them to follow the proper strategy, which usually just gets you yelled at.

I just really hate the feeding. Other thing is, I will tell them with lots of pings quite a bit before where not to go and not to engage and the go there and engage and lose the game for us. People also don't know when to cut the losses and run, if one person dies and 2 people are left with 2 on the way most of the time they just stay and fight and never try to run.

Hell no. I pay for my shit, I would feel like a dumbass for breaking it, because I'm only punishing myself. You might as well key your own car.

Pretty much this. Throw in a good work out or run if you are that pissed off; focus it at something useful.

Back