Corsair AX1500i, The World’s First 1500 Watt 80 Plus Titanium PSU, Now Available

HardOCP News

[H] News
Corsair®, the most awarded PC power supply brand in the world1, today announced the availability of the much-anticipated AX1500i Digital ATX power supply from www.corsair.com. Using advanced digitally-controlled circuitry to deliver ultra-stable power at over 94% efficiency, the AX1500i is the first 1500 watt PSU to meet the ultra-efficient 80 PLUS Titanium standard. The AX1500i will also be available from retailers in late May.

Using Corsair’s second-generation digital architecture, the AX1500i uses a Digital Signal Processor (DSP) to control power output, resulting in tighter DC voltage output regulation and superior stability for your valuable PC’s components. The AX1500i’s incredible efficiency also results in greatly reduced heat, allowing the PSU to operate in a truly silent Zero-RPM fan mode at loads of up to 450W. Even when delivering its maximum 1500W of power, a high-quality 140mm Dynamic Fluid Bearing (DFB) fan allows the AX1500i to operate quietly.

With 1500W of power on tap, the AX1500i is equipped with a huge array of cabling choices allowing it to power even the most demanding 4-way SLI and CrossFire X setups. Combined with the power of Corsair Link™ technology, enthusiasts have access to an incredible range of control over their PC’s power, with real-time temperature, power usage and efficiency monitoring right from the desktop.

i want this for an x99 8 core intel build, and my 3 amd 290's

Does 80 PLUS just keep adding designations? How long until we have the Ultra Sterling Titanium rating?

Does 80 PLUS just keep adding designations? How long until we have the Ultra Sterling Titanium rating?

I'm all for it. New designations are more reason for PSU makers to continue to become more efficient. Everyone wins.

I'm all for it. New designations are more reason for PSU makers to continue to become more efficient. Everyone wins.

So if we had like 30 different PSU rating levels, that's OK and not too many? :confused:

Too many and the system almost becomes pointless by being polluted with too many choices. Choice is good, *too* many, not so much.

Or lie about their wears...

The 80+ designations are not intended for the the end customer. They're intended to make the 80+ people money from manufacturers many of whom lie and abuse the standard.

Will this properly handle the Quadfire system that you guys just reviewed?

I'm personally waiting for 80 Plus Plutonium.

Hey Oklahoma, if you need something to blow up, since you're so bored of excellent units lately, I can get my hands on some Coolmax cannon fodder for ya.

I think the most likely to fail unit I have ATM is a V-600.

The AX1500i looks like a very nice power supply, but after reading some reviews, I was disappointed to see some capacitors in it that weren't the absolute best available. I understand that cost needs to be controlled, but for a power supply of this class, only the very best solid capacitors should be used, with POSCAPS being given serious consideration and used wherever possible/suitable. I'd imagine the price premium to be modest (likely ~$50) for such a material upgrade. As quality of components increases and their size decreases (POSCAPS are quite small for their capacitance), an overall size reduction in the unit's dimensions should be possible, making it less ungainly and able to fit into many more cases.

Smaller, just as powerful, with better quality components to boot...definitely worth a premium, IMHO...;)

well they can only go up to 100% efficiency unless they invent free energy :eek:

Hey Oklahoma, if you need something to blow up, since you're so bored of excellent units lately, I can get my hands on some Coolmax cannon fodder for ya.

I think the most likely to fail unit I have ATM is a V-600.

I have a ZX-500 next in line for review. Starting on it next week. Can't wait :D

well they can only go up to 100% efficiency unless they invent free energy :eek:

You can easily go beyond 100% efficiency...if you're measuring with a wildly uncalibrated tool, such as a Kill-A-Watt ;)

80 Plus is about keeping temps down in mom's basement!

Titanium 80-plus rating is no joke. Looking forward to the [H] review of this, curious if it is worthy of it's rating. If so, Corsair has made a monster PSU.

Titanium 80-plus rating is no joke. Looking forward to the [H] review of this, curious if it is worthy of it's rating. If so, Corsair has made a monster PSU.

It is an impressive bit of electrical engineering, yes.

Otherwise, yes it is a joke. It increases price drastically for no real discernible ROI to the end consumer. All the ratings above silver do nothing more than piss money down the drain that you're never going to get back.

I just wonder how much of a loan I will have to take out
for this bad boy and much longer before we have to start
running these on 220V.

Does anyone know if this PSU would fit into a Corsair Carbide Series Air 540?

oh for 220 mains

why we run split phase over here is a mystery to me
BTW PC PSUs don't care about the earth relative voltages on the input connections (if they did they couldn't be sold in countries like germany that use unpolarised plugs), they will be just as happy on a US 220V supply as on an EU one.

Just think if you could run these cards in quad fire. That would be one bad azz
power supply, and one hell of a light bill jump.

I know this is a cross post, but I am bit to lazy to compose a seconds one :p

This is not likely to happen for some time. The last few PSU products we have seen from Corsair have been subpar and those reviews were not warmly welcomed by Corsair. I also would rather they ship retail products for review but the representatives who have spoken to me so far are resistant to sending retail products for review.

am i being naive to overvalue the "i" part of the PSU?
JG is my trusted reviewer of PSUs, but i am yet to see a complete breakdown of the customized OCP for each connector that Corsair's, and only Corsair's AFAIK, can offer.
I mean: why not simulated a short on a SATA cable?
Something that time and again has been reported to start a fire.
I am already committed to H100i cooling, whose monitoring was praised on many reviews.
If i will suffer Corsair Link anyway, why not take the extra mile and add an "i" to my PSU?

pfft... I'm not impressed until they make it the size of a hockey puck...

*hopes corsair reads this and makes it; not knowing my plan to become the next ironman*

Back