AMD: Toggle between forced 3D clocks and auto mode?

DragonQ

Limp Gawd
Hi, I want my AMD R9 270 in auto-clock mode usually (where it clocks down to save power and reduce heat when I'm not gaming or watching video) but I also need to be able to force it to maximum clocks (3D mode) because the clocks keep jumping about whilst playing less demanding games, causing fps drops.

I found a way to force 3D clocks using MSI Afterburner: I enabled the unofficial overclocking mode and then just bumped the core clock from 945 MHz to 950 MHz. The core and memory clocks then stay at their maximum values and I can play games without fps drops. However, I cannot figure out how to then set the card back to auto-clock mode without rebooting. If I set the clock back to 945 MHz (default) in Afterburner, then the clocks end up stuck at their minimum values (150/150 MHz I think) and the GPU chokes when doing anything demanding.

Any ideas for an easy way to toggle between auto- and max-clocks?

You can have different profiles in MSI afterburner. One for the forced clocks and one for the default auto clocks. At least, switching the profile should properly kick it back into auto clocking mode if its configured properly. If your GPU has a BIOS switch, try switching it - you might be on the LN2 BIOS that likes forced clockspeeds, while the other one plays nicer with auto settings.

But that's the problem: how can I make a profile in Afterburner that uses auto clocks? I see no option for it and using the default maximum clock doesn't seem to work.

Not sure about a BIOS switch, will have to check that later.

Take a look at radeon pro, there is an option to force max clocks on a per game (profile) basis

You can just crate a profile called "Max clocks" or something, then add all the games that need it to the "Alias" section and it will be automated. No hotkey nessisary.

That would be fantastic, not needing to manually switch profiles when starting games. I'll look into that, thanks.

Back