Is Destiny Destined for PCs?

HardOCP News

[H] News
If Destiny is good, I certainly hope it would end up on the PC. Then again, if it blows or its another crappy console port, they can keep it. ;)

"It's pretty complicated," design lead Lars Bakken told Eurogamer.net during a studio tour. "That doesn't mean it can't happen in the future, it just means it won't happen right now." None of what follows actually seems that complicated, as he describes how they are stretching their resources to release it on all the console systems they've targeted, and while he says "we care a lot about the PC," he straightforwardly says the "console SKUs are really important for us and that's what we're focusing on."

the ps4 and xbone are already cheep slow pcs stuffed into boxes and called console.

with the exception of adding the real pc features options they can make it run on a PC in less than a few months.

i believe bungie just confirmed it on twitter that Destiny isnt coming out on the PC

What he's saying is that, "Microsoft and Sony gave us a fuck ton of money to keep it away from PC for a while". Like GTAV, they'll pretend not to release it and then shock everyone that they will. Like after 1 year since it's been released to console.

The irony here of course is they admitted they developed for PC.

When they set out to make this game they probably assumed the Xbox One would be the dominant nextgen platform. Now that its tanking to the point Microsoft is slowing down production, maybe they realized that putting all their eggs in the console basket wasn't the wisest.

Xbox One has the lowest install base of all 5 major platforms (PC/PS4/PS3/360/Xbone). They'd have made a greater ROI if they'd considered PC. Question is, did they learn a lesson here.

Lesson to learn here? I don't think they learned their lesson, which is like poisen to this industry cause old fuddy duddies think all PC owners are pirates etc.

That's the answer, and that's the only fucking awnser. They think PC owners are scum of the earth, when PC owners actually spend the most money on games in this industry, but when corporations are backed by investors in their 60's who get told by the companies they invested in that the only reason a game failed was because of piracy, and not cause the game sucked, well, just feeds a cycle of stupidity.

Though getting a developer to admit his product blows has about the same chance of you turning lead into gold, so, yeah, till the death of consoles years from now we're going to be on this blame train cycle.

Hell Epic JUST released the Unreal Engine 4, five fucking years too late. Why? Cause the new consoles are out and they are DX11, that's why.

Like it or not, despite PC being the best gaming platform, until companies own up to why their products are not selling we're going to be eternally branded as pirates and not worth the time, at least initially when the console SKU sales dry up

>Watch trailer of Destiny

Haw, consoles can fucking keep it.

That's probably the slowest FPS I've ever seen in my life full of bullet sponges, not even worth my time.

Console kiddies will slurp it up though cause they'll think they're winning/making progress despite being made for an audience with not even double digit IQ

I watched the gameplay videos....

Am I the only one that thinks it looks just like HALO?

Same slow, plodding pace. Same graphics.

If this is basically just a sequel to halo then no thank you.

I still don't understand why this is a thing. I understand why it was before but now that consoles are x86 it shouldn't even be a thought.You are already designing for multiplatforms, why not just add one more. Plus PC has more longevity. If you make a good game on PC it will last forever. People played CS and CS:S for 10+ years.

Lesson to learn here? I don't think they learned their lesson, which is like poisen to this industry cause old fuddy duddies think all PC owners are pirates etc.

That's the answer, and that's the only fucking awnser. They think PC owners are scum of the earth, when PC owners actually spend the most money on games in this industry, but when corporations are backed by investors in their 60's who get told by the companies they invested in that the only reason a game failed was because of piracy, and not cause the game sucked, well, just feeds a cycle of stupidity.

Though getting a developer to admit his product blows has about the same chance of you turning lead into gold, so, yeah, till the death of consoles years from now we're going to be on this blame train cycle.

Hell Epic JUST released the Unreal Engine 4, five fucking years too late. Why? Cause the new consoles are out and they are DX11, that's why.

Like it or not, despite PC being the best gaming platform, until companies own up to why their products are not selling we're going to be eternally branded as pirates and not worth the time, at least initially when the console SKU sales dry up

Yeah, it's pretty much: looking for the easy way out.

"Game is a failure on the PC?" Blame piracy.

"Game has bugs in it?" Blame the PC user or the [insert computer hardware manufacturer] and their poor drivers.

They just want a scapegoat and the PC and the PC gamers are an easy target.

I still don't understand why this is a thing. I understand why it was before but now that consoles are x86 it shouldn't even be a thought.You are already designing for multiplatforms, why not just add one more. Plus PC has more longevity. If you make a good game on PC it will last forever. People played CS and CS:S for 10+ years.

... And, hence why more games come out for the console. They [the developers] can reach a larger audience and a larger market compared to the smaller PC gaming market that makes up a small number of the overall PC-- desktop and laptop-- market.

It is surprising though that PC game revenue is up higher than console games. I think a lot of that has to be attributed to $50 to $70 PC games with multiple DLCs and microtransactions and free-to-play MMO games with microtransactions. However, Xbox Live has been doing great for Microsoft if going by their quarterly fiscal reports-- revenue and subscriptions are up and still going up. I'm unsure of Sony's PSN service.

While I have a 360, I prefer my FPS style games on the PC.

Destiny looks to be a great game, but sadly I will pass if it is not on the PC.

I know that game is supposed to be a shit MMO FPS but combat looks absolutely terrible even in that context. Hope it blows big time.

Halo did the same thing if you remember. It was developed on Windows and Mac OS but in 2001 they decided to make it Xbox only, not releasing it on Windows or Mac OS over 2 years later.

You can bet that both Sony and MS paid them for keeping it console only.

Yeah, it's pretty much: looking for the easy way out.

"Game is a failure on the PC?" Blame piracy.

"Game has bugs in it?" Blame the PC user or the [insert computer hardware manufacturer] and their poor drivers.

They just want a scapegoat and the PC and the PC gamers are an easy target.

... And, hence why more games come out for the console. They [the developers] can reach a larger audience and a larger market compared to the smaller PC gaming market that makes up a small number of the overall PC-- desktop and laptop-- market.

It is surprising though that PC game revenue is up higher than console games. I think a lot of that has to be attributed to $50 to $70 PC games with multiple DLCs and microtransactions and free-to-play MMO games with microtransactions. However, Xbox Live has been doing great for Microsoft if going by their quarterly fiscal reports-- revenue and subscriptions are up and still going up. I'm unsure of Sony's PSN service.

I thought one of the reasons for both platform developers (SONY and Microsoft) utilizing x86-based CPUs in their next-gen consoles was that it would simplify development of content. I could have sworn they even marketed as much when the next-gen consoles were still in development, although I could have been imagining that. This is supposed to be a boon to third-party developers especially, since the code should take significantly less massaging to make it work cross-platform.

Not all developers have an interest in releasing games on a cross-platform basis, but the architectural similarity between the next-gen consoles and PCs should make doing so easier, shouldn't it? I was hoping that it would be a case of only requiring a few dollars more for a not-insignificant additional revenue stream rather than developers continuing to release poorly-optimized junk across the board.

PC gamers have become so jaded and surly that nobody probably cares anymore. Likely all they will get is a console port.

Unlike console gamers really don't care what it is just as long as it has some different bling that the last regurgitation of the game developers.

Look at how many copies of GTA IV sold on consoles vs. PCs, or hell any AAA game that was released on consoles and PCs. Chances are you're seeing at least a 10:1 ratio of copies sold. It's economically viable to see if you can make money on consoles first, then decide if you want "the sales tax" leftovers in PC sales.

Back