Need real help finalising a 27" screen

Hi everyone here is my issue bulletpoint form:

- owned a 26" LCD TV (Samsung LE26R87)
- I customised it to my perfection.
- but I sold it because I wanted 1080p.
- I was using it primarily as a console gaming monitor (ps3 and 360) and secondly as a PC monitor.
- I thought I found the perfect replacement the Asus MX279h.
- But the more research I've done the less perfect it has become.
- I've discovered that most IPS panels suffer from a significant amount of glow and light bleed. I am unaware if I had this issue with my Samsung and now that I have sold it it there is no checking.
- So I continued the research and finally discovered the Benq range.
- BenQ EW2740L and BenQ GW2760HS.

I need a screen with 1:1 pixel mapping and I am uncertain whether BenQ EW2740L or BenQ GW2760HS? If any one can confirm if either does then perfect.

Also I know that mx279h has pixel mapping but the light bleed and glow may be a non issue FOR ME having owned a 2006 LCD TV and being more than satisfied if someone could estimate or tell me the panel type it would help.

And if anyone has any recommendations based on what I have said I would welcome them. Price is a factor and I would like stay in the range of mx279h which is approximately 260GBP or 300USD or 300EUR I also don't want a screen any bigger than 27" which is why buying a TV is out of the question as their are next to no 1080p Tvs under 32" and above 22".

thanks for any help.

All monitors can suffer from back-light bleeding and pixel issues and AHVA/IPS/PLS suffer from the most pronounced corner glow which is why it is best to buy from retailers with hassle free return and exchange policies.

The MX279H is quite overpriced and uses LED PWM Dimming (Side Effects). The frame-less IPS panels, inner matte black bezel makes the blacks look light.

If you want a 27" 1080p IPS/PLS panel the Samsung S27D590P (Playerwares Review) is the best option.

Best Reviewed A-MVA Monitors.

The EW2740L has better colors and less ghosting than the GW2760HS, but the Liayama XB2783HSU is better. Forget about 1:1 pixel mapping, most monitors do not offer the feature and gpu's offer scaling features which do the same thing.

1:1 pixel mapping usually refers to a feature which allows the monitor to display resolutions without scaling them, such that each pixel received is mapped to a single native pixel on the monitor. This will result in a black border around the image (window boxing) unless the input resolution is greater than or equal to the monitor's native resolution.

The PS3 forces 1280x720 in most games, so if you were to use 1:1 pixel mapping the image would be quite small and only take up a small portion of the screen rather than being scaled to full screen. Example of 720p pixel mapped on a 1920x1200 monitor.

These monitors can properly scale 16:9 resolutions to full screen. Samsung monitors require a few settings to be changed when connected to consoles (Set Up & Reset>PC/AV Mode>Use AV Mode for consoles then change the Image Size to Screen Fit), while most monitors will work properly out of the box.

Last edited:
Thanks NCX. Prad said that the Benq EW2740L doesn't distort 720p sources I believe the same is true of the samsung just need to wait for more reviews (specifically prad) to decide which one. I really can't thank you enough I've been researching to death but when you are searching on such a scale a few good options slip through the net.

Last edited:
All monitors can suffer from back-light bleeding and pixel issues and AHVA/IPS/PLS suffer from the most pronounced corner glow which is why it is best to buy from retailers with hassle free return and exchange policies.

The MX279H is quite overpriced and uses LED PWM Dimming (Side Effects). The frame-less IPS panels, inner matte black bezel makes the blacks look light.

If you want a 27" 1080p IPS/PLS panel the Samsung S27D590P (Playerwares Review) is the best option.

Best Reviewed A-MVA Monitors.

The EW2740L has better colors and less ghosting than the GW2760HS, but the Liayama XB2783HSU is better. Forget about 1:1 pixel mapping, most monitors do not offer the feature and gpu's offer scaling features which do the same thing.

Which would you go for and why?

TPrad said that the Benq EW2740L doesn't distort 720p sources I believe the same is true of the Samsung just need to wait for more reviews (specifically prad) to decide which one.

Most monitors won't distort 720p signals. Usually only 16:10 monitors intended for PC use lack the proper scaling features.

Which would you go for and why?

If I lived in Europe (the following monitors are not available in Canada) I would choose

VA: Liayama XB2783HSU

The color quality is on par with the other top VA panels but the Liayama has a height adjustable stand and the best balance between fast pixel response times and overshoot ghosting according to PRAD's measurements.

AHVA/IPS/PLS: Acer S276HL (DV Review).

I don't know if the Acer is PWM free (I assume it is since the S236HL is) but I prefer glossy AHVA/IPS/PLS monitors for console gaming so I would likely try one out.

The matte frame-less 1080p AH-IPS like the MX279H and PLS (Samsung 390 & 590 series) coatings (haven't used the 390/590's but I don't like what I have read and have disliked the non-semi-glossy coatings Samsung has used in the past) are too grainy for me compared to the semi-glossy coatings the VA and higher end PLS panels use.

The Liyama has better overdrive (faster pixel response times with similar overshoot), equally as good colors and a height adjustable stand.

The Liyama has better overdrive (faster pixel response times with similar overshoot), equally as good colors and a height adjustable stand.

You know how I said last question I lied :). Here is my issue I have a ps3 and 360 both display colours differently as a result 2 hdmi's are perfect for 2 different settings. Now if you told me you could save custom settings on the iiyama so that the iiyama under the one HDMI could have 2 (or more) let's say profiles one for my Xbox the other for my ps3 then I can kiss you now and pick the iiyama.

Height adjust isn't important so i would buy the iiyama 2783bu-1 instead of the xb2783 version also I have been gaming on a 2006 LCD TV so I'm hoping that the lower response time of the benq is better than I am used to (is that a fair assessment?). I thought the iiyama had better colour reproduction/ gradiation if you can confirm this it would also help my decision. Thanks again.

Last edited:
If you want to get really specific you could read the reviews linked to. The Liyama is definitely the better monitor, but if you want to truly know why will have to read the reviews. I rely on Google translate, but I know what to look for.

The Liayama does not have RGB Range (0-255 or 16-235)/HDMI Black Level settings (Normal and Low on Samsung's) and PRAD does not test the monitors with consoles. It automatically adjusts the signal level, so only the consoles settings will need to be changed (PS3's RGB range needs to be set to full) and you will need to figure out which Reference Level the 360 needs to use to prevent black crush or the colors from being washed out.

The BenQ has HDMI PC Range (0-255 and 16-235) settings. Since the BenQ has these settings a number of combinations can be used with both the Playstaion and Xbox.

Benq it is then that black level was an essential customisation tool on my Samsung. The illayama is the better monitor but not for last gen console gaming, to get that ideal look requires a lot of customising. My guess I can't go to wrong with either but fortunately the benq wins out. I really can't thank you enough. Of to purchase my screen.

The illayama is the better monitor but not for last gen console gaming, to get that ideal look requires a lot of customizing.

No, it's still better than the BenQ. The HDMI RGB Range/Black Level Settings should never need to be changed once set-up properly.

No, it's still better than the BenQ. The HDMI RGB Range/Black Level Settings should never need to be changed once set-up properly.

Talk about spanner in the works not complaining though :). So if I got the iiyama would it mean that I would need a one size fits all setup or can it store multiple settings for an input (HDMI in this case).

You would just need to figure out which Reference level to use for the 360 (likely Intermediate or Expanded) and set the PS3's RGB Range to Full.

Consumer media (games, movies, internet, photos) adhered to the same color standards (REC 709 and sRGB which are extremely similar), as do most monitors color presets and the Liayama's color presets are very accurate (one size fits all when switching between consoles). Most monitors brightness is cranked out of the box, and the Liayama is no exception, so you will likely want to turn the brightness down (lower is better for dark rooms, I recommend using 20-50) and set the Overdrive to 2 or 3 (I recommend using 2).

Only high end monitors with hardware calibration can store multiple, easy to switch settings when connected to external devices.

Thanks mate the cheque is in the post ;-). I will get the iiyama and you know what if it doesn't work for me I can just send it back (amazon to the rescue).

Update: I am back with the benq just discovered that the WiiU doesn't have a HDMI RGB Range/Black Level Settings. And since I have a WiiU this setting is essential unless the iiyama automatically adjusts for black levels. This back and forth is driving me crazy (it's all part of the fun right) ;-)

Last edited:
Update: I am back with the benq just discovered that the WiiU doesn't have a HDMI RGB Range/Black Level Settings. And since I have a WiiU this setting is essential unless the iiyama automatically adjusts for black levels. This back and forth is driving me crazy (it's all part of the fun right) ;-)

Digital foundry Rayman extract:

"All of these nuances are replicated expertly across all platforms. So from a visual perspective the only difference of note is the gamma set-up between platforms and the Wii U's limited-range RGB output. The 360 version features an image richer in contrast, where dark shadow details are slightly crushed due to the system's trademark higher gamma curve. Meanwhile, the Wii U game can look washed out on TVs that don't correctly support limited-range RGB over HDMI. It's also worth pointing out that on the PC there are no additional graphical enhancements, with the ability to adjust resolution and to run the game in windowed mode being the only options available."

Looking like the one size fits all option may pose a problem. My Samsung had a 5ms (G2G I am assuming) and no overdrive feature and I was satisfied it is likely then that the benq will more than suffice.

Last edited:
Hi there can anyone confirm if the benqew2740l or the Iiayama XB2783HSU has an auto adjust option for accurate resolutions from source perfect for console gaming as some games are 720p whilst others are 1080p on my Samsung LCD TV this feature was called just scan. I always thought this was 1:1 pixel mapping but have understood otherwise.

Last edited:
Back