Goodbye, Net Neutrality; Hello, Net Discrimination

HardOCP News

[H] News
Net discrimination. Hmmm, that has a nice ring to it. Don't you agree? ;)

This is what one might call a net-discrimination rule, and, if enacted, it will profoundly change the Internet as a platform for free speech and small-scale innovation. It threatens to make the Internet just like everything else in American society: unequal in a way that deeply threatens our long-term prosperity.

Dont worry, rational corporate self-interest will sort this out. Vote with your wallet!

Well, watching the Internet be born was exciting... maybe there will now be a new kid on the block... and NO MORE HTML, YAY!!!!

I can't remember where I read this response, but it was something along the lines of "We need to dispense with the free-market rhetoric where no such markets exist."

The incumbents have every incentive to keep them from existing--it maximizes profits (since that's what firms do) no matter the cost to consumer or society as a whole.

Obviously, McFry's post is in jest, but so many people insist that there is some kind of "free market" when in fact the last mile internet provider market is anything but. There's more competition in the rather oligopolistic auto market than this--look at the torrent of new features and relentless drive for quality within that space.

Ohhh, here we go. Anything bad is discrimination. It's just like the early 90s all over again.

That cop discriminated against me just because I defecated in a public street at noon in heavy traffic. Respect my rights.

I have a right to unlimited internet. I have no right to speak opinions that are not popular. Yay America!

What is with all the unequal this, unequal that horse crap?

News flash to all the entitled little bitches screaming about inequality - LIFE AIN'T FAIR.

Also, sitting around bitching to eachother about your pathetic little lives will do NOTHING to make it better. There's only one thing that's "equal" amongst anyone crying about equality or inequality, and that's an equal amount of stupidity and moronic self-pity shared by those muttering the words past their progressive baby pacifiers.

Dont worry, rational corporate self-interest will sort this out. Vote with your wallet!

not gonna happen because

• people are lazy
  • you're dealing with a quasi monopoly in case of ISPs. there really isn't much choice in any given area.

I have a right to unlimited internet.
If the company sells you a plan that they advertised as unlimited then you sure do!

I have no right to speak opinions that are not popular. Yay America!
You can say anything you like. Just bear in mind others can do the same and some of them may call you out if they feel you're spouting BS.

Pointing out when someone is factually incorrect isn't a suppression of rights.
Heck even name calling isn't a suppression of rights.

Now if your comments were deleted, or you were put in prison or subjected to torture then yea that'd be suppression of rights. But that clearly isn't what is happening here.

not gonna happen because
  • you're dealing with a quasi monopoly in case of ISPs. there really isn't much choice in any given area.
There. Fixed.

Its not that people aren't lazy, they are, but they also are heavily motivated to save money on stuff. Especially in today's economy. They'd happily switch to save even $10/mo.

WAIT!

If my VPN is a service from an incorporated entity...and corporations being "people", and money being "speech"...Is this rule not discriminatory against "people"?

Personally I'm waiting for the day one of these corps decides to create its own religion, which will of course just so happen to be a Prosperity theology that holds taxation and employee wages as a evil sin, and sue the govt. and employees for damages.

News flash to all the entitled little bitches screaming about inequality - LIFE AIN'T FAIR.

Also, sitting around bitching to eachother about your pathetic little lives will do NOTHING to make it better. There's only one thing that's "equal" amongst anyone crying about equality or inequality, and that's an equal amount of stupidity and moronic self-pity shared by those muttering the words past their progressive baby pacifiers.

Erm, what?

Are you saying that customers who pay for internet service every month are acting 'entitled' for expecting to receive the service they pay for every month? Because I've got news for you, payment in return for services or goods is the basis of pretty much any contract.

I pay my Internet Service Provider because I expect them to be investing in infrastructure to keep my internet service fast and reliable. If my ISP does not have the network infrastructure to support whatever internet services I want to use at full speed, my ISP is failing to live up to it's end of our contract. I'm not on free dialup here, I paid for 'internet' service, not 'partial internet' service, not 'supervalue email-only' service, not 'whichever sites make my ISP congolmerate's content arms the most money' service.
You're darn right I have a feeling of entitlement. It comes from me paying these bastards every month to sit around in board rooms and back-slap each other over record profits while they do no capital investment/infrastructure development, but instead spend my money on lobbyists.

Ohhh, here we go. Anything bad is discrimination. It's just like the early 90s all over again.

That cop discriminated against me just because I defecated in a public street at noon in heavy traffic. Respect my rights.

I have a right to unlimited internet. I have no right to speak opinions that are not popular. Yay America!

It is discrimination of the network traffic. Both of you down playing this doesn't change what it is. "Life ain't fair" has nothing to do with it. They are trying to charge us for shit we used to get for free. Since there is no "fair" free market we can not just vote with our wallets, So we need proper regulation. Letting people go around bullying because they can and do anti-competitive business practices(which is illegal incase ya didn't know) should not be allowed.

You guys keep on down playing it though, its obvious who you are championing and no one is buying your BS.

You can't in this case. It's all back door, so voting with your wallet isn't a choice. You either subscribe to them (if you're in their area), or you don't. Otherwise, you cancel subs with companies who comply to it (like Netflix).

Unless of course you meant vote with your wallet by giving unlimited campaign contributions to various candidates. IE: Money = free speech (SCOTUS fail). In that case, it'd probably work. But you'd need deep pockets.

Do you discriminate between a text file and a music file when selecting a compression algorithm? Of course you do, if efficiency is your goal. Do modern websites discriminate HTML, CSS, and PHP in order to offer on-the-fly compression powered by the client machine? Of course they do. Does modern technology rely on caching at multiple stages in the transfer of information on both ends, which utilizes discriminatory algorithms? You bet. I could go on, but the reality is that having an agnostic view between emails and HD video streams is kind of like RARing everything you come across indiscriminately, including more than once in a pathway, just because you feel like it.

Right, because it's moronic to bemoan the fact that those who have already entrenched their market position then use that to create new laws locking them into place. I mean, that's just the natural way of life and any opinion wishing to change anything is pointless whining. Suck it up and take it like a peon!

Personally I'm waiting for the day one of these corps decides to create its own religion, which will of course just so happen to be a Prosperity theology that holds taxation and employee wages as a evil sin, and sue the govt. and employees for damages.

I'm pretty sure that's our current State religion.

I could go on, but the reality is that having an agnostic view between emails and HD video streams is kind of like RARing everything you come across indiscriminately, including more than once in a pathway, just because you feel like it.

Sometimes the fastest path isn't the wisest path. The good of doing things this new way may be great indeed however the bad things that will happen aren't worth it, will definitely be unfair, if not disastrous long term for 'the people'.

People = Disadvantageous
Corporations = Advantageous

Thank you for be an example in which you decry.

I hope the FCC realizes that with the rule change they are purposing it would allow ISP's to create monopoly's and sell them to the highest bidder.

Where's the genmay spirit? Let's make our own, with blackjack, and hookers!

Yeah, ya hate Regulation until it was protecting something YOU care about, then it's all Hey Wait just a Minute here.

Oh well, enjoy drivel your Corporate Overlords feel you deserve, I'm sure you'll come to love it.

'Cause .... 'Merica and Freedom !!!

Well, watching the Internet be born was exciting... maybe there will now be a new kid on the block... and NO MORE HTML, YAY!!!!

Wooo! Back to shell accounts, IRC, FTP and Pine!!!

I guess I just can't find a reason to really care that much about this. I mean sure it's probably bad and it probably will make people have a hard time watching streaming whatever or something, but meh...seems kinda like there's no reason to get upset. It's probably just easier to get movies on those round disc things or read a book.

It's amazing how dumb Americans are, in general. They should be outraged, but it's just another sad day of business and political corruption.

I would have no problem turning off my internet. The only downside is I would have to go to the bank.

Wooo! Back to shell accounts, IRC, FTP and Pine!!!

Oh excellent, my favorite MUDs could use some more players! Anyone have a good mapper for TW2002? I don't think I have a floppy drive to access that backup anymore...

I liked the 90s.
They sucked though too. The only good thing you can say about the time period was we got the internet out of it.

Remember, the seeds for the present we reap now were planted during that time period and nostalgia is a helluva drug.

Yeah, ya hate Regulation until it was protecting something YOU care about, then it's all Hey Wait just a Minute here.

Oh well, enjoy drivel your Corporate Overlords feel you deserve, I'm sure you'll come to love it.

'Cause .... 'Merica and Freedom !!!

I'd be okay one way or the other (fully regulated or entirely unregulated), the problem is when the ISP has been granted a local broadband monopoly enforced via gov't regulation then claims they shouldn't be subject to gov't regulation.

The fcc is in it for the tax money and nothing else. Just like when the fcc ruled Verizon can't stop people from hot spotting their data, like they are doing us a damn favor. No Verizon, you can't stop people that pay 10.000.000 dollars for 10gb of data from sharing with whom ever they like, but if you are still on a unlimited data, then you have to pay for using your phone as a hot spot. Does anyone
see the irony in that?

Back