Black screen after PC restarts

Hey guys,

I have an issue which I believe began after I switched from a Radeon 6900 Video to an Nvidia GTX 760. After I restart my PC from the desktop, after the video card screen shows up during the boot process, I see a message saying no drives and then I'm stuck with a black screen and the PC won't boot to the desktop. When I force a shutdown of the PC, The PC boots and then my desktop loads without any issues. Unfortunately if I restart my PC from the desktop then this issue always occurs but it won't happen if I force a shutdown of the PC. I'm running Windows 7 64 bit.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

I have a problem like this with my geforce titan cards sometimes..

Sometimes the card will get stuck on a like a high 4k 60hz or even higher display res and the monitors will go nuts and say out of scan range in the bios modes until windows 7 64bit nvida drivers sets it straight again will not display bios res so i cant see the bios or any boot up info .;

the only thing that fixes it is shutting it down and cutting power to motherboard and.titan and montior then rebooting. totaly cut it like unplug it from the wall or hit the power supply switch.other wise it is in standby mode.

I would have no idea what res it gets stuck on since I cant see it with any monitor I tried. it could be getting stuck on some ultra low res from the 80s monitors no longer support I have no idea.

one of my spare ati machine that shares the same monitor\ on the 2nd connection dont get this problem so it seems to be nvida kepler class chip only.

Last edited:
I was having this issue on my main machine. The fix for me was to disable the Intel HD 4000 graphics in Device Manager.

Thanks for the help.

I disabled "Intel HD Graphics 3000" in Device Manager but I still get a black screen during boot.
After the video card screen shows up during boot a message pops up saying "no drives found", could this be the cause of the black screen? My PC is hooked up to a Plasma TV using HDMI.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

After the video card screen shows up during boot a message pops up saying "no drives found",

very strange issue indeed....that message kinda points toward an issue with no hard drive found...like it has nothing to do with the video card...but it happened after switching the video card? definitely a head scratcher there

I remember it happening after I uninstalled the drivers to the radeon video card. Could it be unrelated?

I remember it happening after I uninstalled the drivers to the radeon video card. Could it be unrelated?

Can you list the rest of your system specs for us please? The CPU, MB Model (also if you are using the latest bios release). If you are using an AMD based system, you could have possibly removed some system drivers, but that wouldn't be an issue until you got into Windows, not before..

Did you accidentally knock a SATA cable loose when you swapped the cards? I'd unplug them and reseat them in the MB SATA ports just to be safe.

Well it seems I solved the problem. I updated the intel Graphics Adapter in Windows Update and disabled intel Graphics 3000 in device manager again. I then unplugged the cables from all my external hard drives and External Enclosure from my PC. When I restart the PC I'm not getting the black screen anymore.

Back