Tech Firms Agree To Settle Lawsuit Over No-Hiring Pacts

HardOCP News

[H] News
It looks like Google, Intel, Apple and Adobe have all avoided that class action lawsuit that was supposed to go to trial next month.

Silicon Valley's tech giants aren't going to face that class action lawsuit over no-hiring deals, after all. Adobe, Apple, Google and Intel have all reached a settlement in the case, which would have otherwise headed to trial in late May. The terms of the deal haven't been revealed, but we wouldn't be shocked if a significant amount of cash traded hands.

Wonder how much they settled for. 3 billion split 60k ways is only 50k a piece, and when the lawyers get their 50-66% of it that drops to 25,000 or less.

Of course they would settle. There was no way there were not going to lose. This was a discovery nightmare for the companies involved.

Way more than they actually deserve. That is for sure.

Damn rights Mr. Hipster!

How dare someone expect compensation when they were denied an opportunity to not only advance their career, but their bank account as well.

Maybe I can put it in a way you will understand.

Mr. Hipster: Hiya Boss! So, did you see my application for waiter? I know I've been a good dish washer these last two years!
Your boss: Sorry Mr. Hipster, I'd love to hire you as a waiter, but the other applicants were just more qualified than you, plus they have waiting experience. You are a great dish washer! Better luck next time.
Mr. Hipster: Aww shucks!
Your Boss: roflnoob

so the ~350 million = ~$5,500 (minus lawyer fees & taxes)

Each person will probably get about $1700-$1800 (aka not even a single two weeks paycheck)

zomg so much money

makes me sick

Class actions are nearly a waste of time since only the lawyers laugh all the way to the bank and everyone else gets 7 cents and are told by mail that costs 35 cents that they won. Oh and the fact that they can never sue if they cash it.

Translation: Tech companies will pay penalties for getting caught but will continue their illegal practices through hush money and bribes to government officials, something they likely all have Ph.D's on staff for.

Class actions are nearly a waste of time since only the lawyers laugh all the way to the bank and everyone else gets 7 cents and are told by mail that costs 35 cents that they won. Oh and the fact that they can never sue if they cash it.

One significant function class action lawsuits is to provide deterrent against the undesirable behaviour; to that end it doesn't matter where the money goes.

One significant function class action lawsuits is to provide deterrent against the undesirable behaviour; to that end it doesn't matter where the money goes.

Very good point. But what irks me is the lying lawyers who line their pockets from the settlements while the victims get peanuts ... :mad:

Pretty much.

This settlement will actually serve as incentive in the future for them to do the same thing all over again. After all they've only had to pay out a fraction of the money they effectively stole from their workers with no other real penalties.

Its become the price of doing business.

Translation: Tech companies will pay penalties for getting caught but will continue their illegal practices through hush money and bribes to government officials, something they likely all have Ph.D's on staff for.

This. It doesn't matter that the practice is illegal, it still sucks when you don't get a job because the hiring company doesn't want to get involved.

I've had this happen to me before. I had the inside track for a new job, but the company that was going to hire me had done some business with the company I was currently working at. The job was an IT job and was unrelated to the software support I was currently doing. Thier legal department agreed that the non-compete clause in the contract was not only unenforcable, but was not even legal. However they where afraid it would cause a rift with the other company, so I didn't get the job.

About 6 months later I finally found another job, and the owner of the first company called and threated the owner of the new company for hiring me. I knew I made the right choice when the owner of the new company laughed at him and told him he had no case.

About 6 months later I finally found another job, and the owner of the first company called and threated the owner of the new company for hiring me. I knew I made the right choice when the owner of the new company laughed at him and told him he had no case.

How was your former employer able to contact your then current employer?

Back