Pair of Supermassive Black Holes Spotted

HardOCP News

[H] News
These aren't just any ol' black holes, they are supermassive black holes! Here's a picture of what two supermassive black holes might look like:

Two supermassive black holes are the smoking gun that the galaxy has merged with another. That’s because most massive galaxies (including our own) are thought to harbor at least one supermassive black hole at their center.

Fukun Liu discovered the big black hole:

"The newly discovered binary supermassive black hole -- by an international team led by Fukun Liu of Peking University -- is not in an active galaxy, but rather, an “ordinary” one. A first of its kind.
Read more at http://www.iflscience.com/space/pair-supermassive-black-holes-spotted#MdkYri2FTIvXr4xZ.99"

I love hearing about blackholes. They're a mystery. And yet, all heavy elements that make us up, came from super nova that create black holes.

Probably the best video I ever found on how a black hole is made. Visually that is.
http://youtu.be/2uiivIuZr3E

We've always had these.

It's called California and New York.

So whats the word on these black holes, they just get bigger and bigger until they explode?
I love hearing about blackholes.
If you don't put a space in there, it sounds like an insult Eric Cartman would use. :p

This is actually quite interesting. I'm not really much of a space enthusiast, but watching the Cosmos episodes the past few weeks has been pretty enlightening. Who knew Edmond Halley was responsible for so much more than just discovering the periodicity of Halley's Comet (I wasn't even aware he didn't actually discover the comet)? Anyhow, Neil deGrasse Tyson spoke about black holes in one of the recent episodes.

So whats the word on these black holes, they just get bigger and bigger until they explode?

If you don't put a space in there, it sounds like an insult Eric Cartman would use. :p

Black holes don't exactly get bigger. In fact the gravity around the black hole is pretty much the same as it was before the star died. The reason the galaxies gain mass is by collecting objects that travel too close to them and get caught in their gravity. The black holes are usually just remnants of whatever larger star or massive celestial body died and gave birth to that galaxy. Those celestial bodies are still subject to the laws of gravity and when they cross each other's path, they can start pulling on one another causing them to collide. This I believe is the foundation for why many scientists believe the Universe may one day collapse on itself one day and then repeat the process for the "Big Bang".

Black holes don't exactly get bigger. In fact the gravity around the black hole is pretty much the same as it was before the star died. The reason the galaxies gain mass is by collecting objects that travel too close to them and get caught in their gravity. The black holes are usually just remnants of whatever larger star or massive celestial body died and gave birth to that galaxy. Those celestial bodies are still subject to the laws of gravity and when they cross each other's path, they can start pulling on one another causing them to collide. This I believe is the foundation for why many scientists believe the Universe may one day collapse on itself one day and then repeat the process for the "Big Bang".
See that's the thing I don't get. Black holes don't get bigger, but we do know of super massive black holes in the center of each galaxy. They don't create more gravitation pull, but the super massive ones seem to have stronger gravity.

I've also heard that black holes aren't a collection of matter in one spot, but sorta like a penetration of space time. If that's the case then why do they seem to grow with more and more sucked up matter?

"This is exactly what you would expect from a pair of supermassive black holes orbiting one another," Liu explains

This is just too funny for words

Clicked thread expecting news that paris hilton and justin beiber were dating or something..

We've always had these.

It's called California and New York.

Noooo that's not right at all...well California maybe, but Georgia, South Carolina, Florida, Mississippi, and Texas are FAAAAR worse. They're like the 3rd world armpit of the United States with all their pickup trucks and yards full of trash. :(

Noooo that's not right at all...well California maybe, but Georgia, South Carolina, Florida, Mississippi, and Texas are FAAAAR worse. They're like the 3rd world armpit of the United States with all their pickup trucks and yards full of trash. :(

Then why do so many people move south when they retire? :rolleyes:

What's wrong with trucks? They have a very practical value here in Texas. SUV's I would argue though. And where I live, there aren't yards full of trash. I haven't seen yards full of trash either. Maybe you've seen some backwoods place, but please do tell where you get your information to state this fact.

See that's the thing I don't get. Black holes don't get bigger, but we do know of super massive black holes in the center of each galaxy. They don't create more gravitation pull, but the super massive ones seem to have stronger gravity.

I've also heard that black holes aren't a collection of matter in one spot, but sorta like a penetration of space time. If that's the case then why do they seem to grow with more and more sucked up matter?

Black holes can get bigger though, they just need to gobble stuff up. Stars (and black holes) are not just static things in the galaxy, they're moving around the galaxy just like anything else and they can get into areas of the galaxy where there happens to be a hydrogen cloud then they will feed, they will get more massive, and they will get stronger gravity.

Easiest way to think about it is how do stars form in the first place? Gas collapses on a central point, sure everything that orbits the star is fine and dandy but most of the mass doesn't orbit the star, the star had to have grown from somewhere. Now with these super massive buggers, these predate galaxies most likely, these were super massive stars that lived a moment of time early in the universe when things were much more compact, and a galaxy worth of gas and crap managed to get pulled towards the center of where the galaxy ended up forming allowing the black hole to get so large. Not to mention the background radiation of space gets absorbed by the black hole too making it more massive, although not by an appreciable amount it is non-zero ;)

There is a lot of conjuction about black holes, the penetration of space time is one such area. It is theorized that the concept of time changes when you are caught in the black hole. For instance the closer and object gets to a black hole, the longer it seems to stay there. Time appears to stop at the black hole, but that doesn't mean it actually does stop. That theory is mainly based on how light works around black holes. Much of our theory on time in the galaxy has to do with light. Since light acts strangely around black holes there are many strange theories on what happens within one regarding light and time.

As for black holes not creating more gravitational pull, that isn't necessarily true. They gain more mass but the black hole itself is a singularity and has relatively no size. So when it's said they don't get bigger, it means they don't physically seem to expand. Now on the other hand the event horizon that is the radius around the black hole, can indeed expand. As the black hole itself gains mass/energy, the event horizon radius increases. The event horizon is the radius in which all matter/energy is trapped and cannot escape the pull of the black hole. So actually yes, the gravitational pull does indeed increase as it gains mass.

What's wrong with trucks? They have a very practical value here in Texas. SUV's I would argue though. And where I live, there aren't yards full of trash. I haven't seen yards full of trash either. Maybe you've seen some backwoods place, but please do tell where you get your information to state this fact.

Where you live does ever 3rd or 4th house look identical from the outside? (and probably inside). Suburban sprawl into pretty little communities that depending upon who moves there can stay looking nice.

Then why do so many people move south when they retire? :rolleyes:

It's sorta like going to Honduras or something where $30 USD can buy an entire house and serving staff. Because so many people totally fail at planning for retirement and saving money, but they're unable to work, they hafta make do with what little they have left after a lifetime of buying home theaters, smoking, cell phones, and cable TV so they move to the south where the economy is super depressed and they can afford to live on only a little bit of income each month.

Personal experience. I've lived in Texas before as a little CreepyChildGoogle and I lived there again more recently on my own and OMG it's AWFUL there with people that speak in strangely accented English and run around with guns throwing beer cans out the windows of their huge trucks. :( I feel awful for the regular people that have to try to make some kind of life there now.

It's sorta like going to Honduras or something where $30 USD can buy an entire house and serving staff. Because so many people totally fail at planning for retirement and saving money, but they're unable to work, they hafta make do with what little they have left after a lifetime of buying home theaters, smoking, cell phones, and cable TV so they move to the south where the economy is super depressed and they can afford to live on only a little bit of income each month.

Personal experience. I've lived in Texas before as a little CreepyChildGoogle and I lived there again more recently on my own and OMG it's AWFUL there with people that speak in strangely accented English and run around with guns throwing beer cans out the windows of their huge trucks. :( I feel awful for the regular people that have to try to make some kind of life there now.

You should probably stay away then. :D

Now if only these black holes can just absorb all these console kiddies so that the Master PC race can dominate the earth! :D

If they take on enough mass and become super super massive, maybe that can happen?
Stephen Hawking proposes that black holes will evaporate eventually.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hawking_radiation

No, energy cannot escape a black hole. Hawking's theory is based on his Quantum Mechanics theory. He basically is saying if his QM theory is correct, then Black Holes have to slowly deteriorate. But its not that popularly accepted yet. And those that do accept the theory say it could only happen with extremely small black holes, not the massive ones at the center of galaxies. If Hawking himself has said that it is unlikely a massive black hole will deteriorate. Perhaps given an infinite amount of time they could. But anything dealing with black holes at the moment is only a loose theory. We can only observe what appears to be the event horizon for them. The binary super massives will probably continue to yield the most information we can currently get from black holes.

Back