Funny Mac Pro vs. BOXX Commercial

I'll admit, it cracked me up too. "Did I mention it's round?" lol

humorous but the really interesting part is that commercial is targeting people willing to spend between 4K and 10K on a workstation

Just tried to configure one of their systems for fun.

For a worse specced machine (SATA SSD vs PCI-E, slightly worse GPU's) it was over $4,000 more than a Mac Pro.

lol

If you want a Mac, you buy one. Otherwise you don't, comparing the two isn't really going to help anyone.

287498d1371683609-2013-mac-pro-mac-pro-trash-can.jpg

And so true: http://www.giga.de/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/Mac-Pro_2013_Mac-Pro_2013.jpg

I checked out this Boxx website

Yeah, um, to get the same system as the Mac Pro was costing like $7000, vs the $3000 Mac Pro

Sorry, I'd take the trash can

Almost died with the cigarette at the end.
Really, that was just awesome.

Just tried to configure one of their systems for fun.

For a worse specced machine (SATA SSD vs PCI-E, slightly worse GPU's) it was over $4,000 more than a Mac Pro.

lol

Yup. While the Mac Pro is a very niche-market computer, it is the best computer for that market. (Obviously, as their video states, that market does *NOT* included when you need more than 12 cores.)

The "Without installing Windows?" bit was lame, though - that's true of *ANY* Mac until 3DStudio makes a Mac port.

But if your market is "physical small up to 12-core Xeon with dual workstation GPUs and ultra-fast onboard storage," the Mac Pro is the best (and cheapest!) thing out there.

Just hope you don't need more than 12 cores. Or more than two GPUs (or even just one low-power GPU - the Mac Pro is more about the GPUs than the CPU,) or large, slow storage.

I'm not a Mac person but for what you get, new Mac Pro actually has a very reasonable price. If I were in the market, I'd probably spend more to get a workstation that can be upgraded because everyone knows Apple won't have any upgrades for it down the road. As for the BOXX dudes, their prices are just outright insane and I'm not even comparing to home made system, their hardware is probably twice of what you'd pay for a Dell or HP workstation. The commercial was pretty funny though but not necessarily relevant if you're using Mac only software in which case that's the best Mac Apple has at the moment.

The cost of thunderbolt adapters for basic needs shouldn't be so quickly overlooked... It is priced less than a real workstation because its not a whole workstation and it is limited to 1p. Those 2p chips cost more.

fortunately it sports 4x usb 3.0 ports, then? :p

Yes, but there's the matter of bandwidth. 5Gb/s vs 20Gb/s. If you need that speed, getting it in an external thunderbolt form factor costs you WAY more than grafting it onto the end of a PCI express bus. That price should come down, but right now the premium is harsh. Price vs. quality is lacking vs. other solutions.

chances are, these machines (and peripherals) will be more than paid for in short time by their respective users. :)

Man am I out of the loop. Is that some sort of April fools joke by Apple? Thing is seriously a $3k trash can.

Man am I out of the loop. Is that some sort of April fools joke by Apple? Thing is seriously a $3k trash can.

I love how years we as PC users sat around and said "looks don't matter!" and now its "it looks like a trash can!!", as if that matters.

I love how years we as PC users sat around and said "looks don't matter!" and now its "it looks like a trash can!!", as if that matters.

PC Cases never looked like a trash can, ash tray or toilet brush holder before.

That was filmed in austin.... hell i think i know the guy in the cowboy hat!

I'm not a Mac person but for what you get, new Mac Pro actually has a very reasonable price. If I were in the market, I'd probably spend more to get a workstation that can be upgraded because everyone knows Apple won't have any upgrades for it down the road. As for the BOXX dudes, their prices are just outright insane and I'm not even comparing to home made system, their hardware is probably twice of what you'd pay for a Dell or HP workstation. The commercial was pretty funny though but not necessarily relevant if you're using Mac only software in which case that's the best Mac Apple has at the moment.

+1 and also, if your Boxx breaks, they don't come to your office to fix it.

It was a funny commercial, but it wasn't aimed at moving people to by a BOXX instead of a Mac, it was aimed at people that were never going to buy a Mac in the first place. Think Italian sports cars - some people have lots of money and want the most expensive thing they can buy for the purpose they need.

I don't think that is really the point, I think its the fact that most of Apple/Mac products are sold as "style", not that PC users care about style, its the fact that is how Apple pushes the products that have people making fun of it.

+1 and also, if your Boxx breaks, they don't come to your office to fix it.

BOXX has next business day on-site support. That's kinda the thing about buying a BOXX. Certified systems, support for professionals, measurable ROI and lower TCO. The video was in good fun. And do you think BOXX would ever had made the front page of HardOCP in any other way? ;)

/BOXX employee

Back