HBO Signs Up For Amazon Prime, Fire TV

HardOCP News

[H] News
I guess this is a good deal for Amazon Prime members and FireTV owners but it would have been even better had it included Game of Thrones though. :(

However, the deal excludes some of the network's most popular series, like "Game of Thrones." Amazon said it wouldn't disclose anything beyond what was in its release, which lists shows that are included. Terms of the deal weren't disclosed, so it's unclear how much Amazon is coughing up for such a valuable privilege.

HBO is just shit stupid not to offer a subscription service. People would buy it just to watch one show. This is useless if it doesn't at least include previous seasons of shows like game of thrones.

Actually I am very glad to hear this since I am currently watching season two of the sopranos on amazon. kinda sucked having to buy it. Now I know when I'll start season 3.

The only reason I have HBO is for Game of Thrones, if it was not for the that show I would have dumped all of my premium channels.

I watch GoT on my girlfriend's ex's HBO GO account, or I pirate it. Either way I am a terrible person, and it's all HBO's fault for having outdated models for distributing their content. I would happily pay $1/episode just for GoT, but instead YOU GET NOTHING.

the agreement only includes seasons/episodes 3 years or older...so nothing recent...and the exclusion of HBO is a real bummer...but for people who don't have HBO it's a great deal...getting to watch classics like The Wire, Deadwood, Rome, Carnivale etc

I watch GoT on my girlfriend's ex's HBO GO account, or I pirate it. Either way I am a terrible person, and it's all HBO's fault for having outdated models for distributing their content. I would happily pay $1/episode just for GoT, but instead YOU GET NOTHING.

Yep...having HBO GO tied to a cable + HBO sub was an idiotic business decision when it's so easy to just pirate the episodes (most pirated show, supposedly...wonder why that is :rolleyes:).

the agreement only includes seasons/episodes 3 years or older...so nothing recent...and the exclusion of HBO is a real bummer...but for people who don't have HBO it's a great deal...getting to watch classics like The Wire, Deadwood, Rome, Carnivale etc

typo: I meant the exclusion of GoT (Game of Thrones)

Thrones is the ONLY reason to watch HBO and I carry a subscription just for it.
I also share the living hell out of my HBO Go name/ password because $20 a month for 4 episodes is a load of shit.
I honestly can say I side with the pirates on this one, make HBO Go a subscription service for $5 to $10 a month without a cable subscription with access to all of its original programing and I cut the cord.

Yep...having HBO GO tied to a cable + HBO sub was an idiotic business decision when it's so easy to just pirate the episodes (most pirated show, supposedly...wonder why that is :rolleyes:).

You kids do know that HBO is a subsidiary of Time Warner...right?

Does the universe make sense now? :)

Some money is better than none. They realize nobody is getting HBO go for the back catalog of shows. Might as well get some licensing revenue for it beyond the hbo subscribers.

Now if only they would provide HBO w/o cable. Although I suspect HBO alone would be $20+/month so nobody would sign up for it.

HBO is just asking GoT to be pirated. They make it so that the only way you can get it is to subscribe to cable at $120/month (that's basic digital package with HD and DVR on Comcast in my current town) and an extra $16.99/month for the HBO set. It's not worth that. GoT isn't worth dealing with Comcast alone, let alone paying them money. I'd gladly pay $25/month for HBO Go independently, and they'd get all of it instead of half of it like they would with Comcast. Heck, I'd gladly pay $5 per episode of GoT if I could get it in realtime from Amazon Prime. Instead, I have to wait for the BluRay to come out a year from now. I'm patient enough to wait until the BluRay comes out, but most people aren't. They deserve to get pirated for such behavior.

Are they though? They produce a high quality show that obviously has huge demand; they should be able to demand what the market bears. There is no "right" to be able to watch whatever show you want.

I don't agree with their model, but that doesn't give any moral high ground for copyright infringement.

HBO is just asking GoT to be pirated. They make it so that the only way you can get it is to subscribe to cable at $120/month (that's basic digital package with HD and DVR on Comcast in my current town) and an extra $16.99/month for the HBO set. It's not worth that. GoT isn't worth dealing with Comcast alone, let alone paying them money. I'd gladly pay $25/month for HBO Go independently, and they'd get all of it instead of half of it like they would with Comcast. Heck, I'd gladly pay $5 per episode of GoT if I could get it in realtime from Amazon Prime. Instead, I have to wait for the BluRay to come out a year from now. I'm patient enough to wait until the BluRay comes out, but most people aren't. They deserve to get pirated for such behavior.

Comcast Offers HBO Without Other Cable Channels in Bundle Aimed at Cord-Cutters...

http://variety.com/2013/biz/news/co...-to-offer-hbo-without-basic-cable-1200761863/

AT&T and FiOS also have started offering a similar bundle...

http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/...BO-in-Offering-50-HBO-Broadband-Bundle-128588

Comcast Offers HBO Without Other Cable Channels in Bundle Aimed at Cord-Cutters...

http://variety.com/2013/biz/news/co...-to-offer-hbo-without-basic-cable-1200761863/

AT&T and FiOS also have started offering a similar bundle...

http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/...BO-in-Offering-50-HBO-Broadband-Bundle-128588

You still have to pay for basic cable to get that package, as well as internet from whatever company. So if you have a different ISP than those it doesn't really do you any good.

What people want is HBO GO by itself with no other cable nonsense. HBO won't do that, so the show gets pirated.

Thrones is the ONLY reason to watch HBO and I carry a subscription just for it.
I also share the living hell out of my HBO Go name/ password because $20 a month for 4 episodes is a load of shit.
I honestly can say I side with the pirates on this one, make HBO Go a subscription service for $5 to $10 a month without a cable subscription with access to all of its original programing and I cut the cord.

If it's $17+ extra a month to add HBO to a cable subscription, not sure how much of it HBO gets, why do you think HBO would offer it directly for 30-60% of that price?

I just thought of something, can anyone answer this?

Comcast is trying to buy Time Warner Cable, but is it just the cable arm or the entire company?

The reason I ask this, is because while it may appear unrelated it isn't since Time Warner also owns HBO, so if their cable division were to be sold off they could well change their mind and offer HBO Go without a cable subscription, since they would no longer have to worry about damaging the profits of another division.

I think the whole damn point of this isn't about Go or GoT. People, it's about HBO being available, although limited, WITHOUT CABLE! 10 years ago something like this couldn't have even been imagined. It's another step, in the right direction, about choice. It's taking it's sweet ass time, but the internet is beginning to win.

HBO wont offer a la carte plans because Comcast/DirecTV have threatened to drop them entirely if they do. HBO isnt willing to take the gamble on surviving through membership alone without being part of a larger network.

Meanwhile Net Neutrality is dying and the internet is going to be turned into a segmented, cable-tv subscription like entity.

SURE IS WINNING.

No doubt, but it really is winning. It's just taking so long because so many people think they're going to continue to make money the "old" way.

It's because of the internet that this deal could even happen. Baby steps, baby steps. :p

Meh, I have never paid a dime to watch GoT on HBO. Every year, I just call them up and they offer me 6 months free or something. I might just be lucky or something, but I highly doubt I'd bet a lot of people could do the same thing.

I think the whole damn point of this isn't about Go or GoT. People, it's about HBO being available, although limited, WITHOUT CABLE! 10 years ago something like this couldn't have even been imagined. It's another step, in the right direction, about choice. It's taking it's sweet ass time, but the internet is beginning to win.

I don't understand, I have been able to get that full linux distro from all over the place without cable.

Back