Microsoft Speeding Up Windows Release Cycle

HardOCP News

[H] News
Speeding up the Windows release cycle is great and all but even then things are taking too long to be fixed.

Just a year ago, Microsoft officials were crowing about Windows' much improved delivery cadence. Instead of rolling out a new version of Windows once every 2.5 to three years, the team was now on something closer to an annual rollout schedule. But the nine-month-young unified Operating System Group (OSG)at Microsoft is now gunning to go even faster.

Last edited:
Every year is too fast. Every other year is ok. Now factor in that every other OS they release sucks, so you will have a new OS ever 4 years years.

So they expect people to use their rapidly obsolete console hardware for a DECADE before replacing it with a new model, but want us to upgrade our OS every year?

Don't make me slap that crack pipe out of your mouth MS. Don't make crappy OS interfaces that nobody likes and you won't have problems with people sticking with old operating systems with an iron grip. And face the fact that if console hardware can last a decade, people can get great long term use out of their desktops these days too, and people aren't inclined to fix what aint broken.

Every year is too fast. Every other year is ok. Now factor in that every other OS they release sucks, so you will have a new OS ever 4 years years.

"Every other year" would be fine when they don't screw up a major new release.

I wonder if Microsoft will eventually go the Android and iOS route releasing next version operating systems at no cost via updates. After all, they make majority of their money in the business sector.

I wonder if Microsoft will eventually go the Android and iOS route releasing next version operating systems at no cost via updates. After all, they make majority of their money in the business sector.
Or make it a subscription service, so you never actually own the operating system, you just rent access to Windows! *nnnnnnooooooo*

Or make it a subscription service, so you never actually own the operating system, you just rent access to Windows! *nnnnnnooooooo*

haha, I'm thinking more along the lines of cutting off support for so and so older tablet or processor or something, like iOS does with phones older than about 3-4 generations.

That's where it's going down the road, guaranteed. Just baby steps right now.

business would not be ok with this, too many custom applications that are going to be broken constantly will lead companies to just not upgrade, same way big corps are not upgrading to 8 and didn't upgrade to vista etc...

We need to move away from Win 8 even faster than we thought we would...

Yes, I don't get every yr upgrades , only maybe now on mobile as things progress faster right now .
But desktop that is crazy fast, are they going to drop support just as fast on older OS's ?
Cause then they would need to support 4-6 OS's if support lasts 4-6yrs .

Guess this means I'll be skipping 3 OS versions intead of just every other one.

business would not be ok with this, too many custom applications that are going to be broken constantly will lead companies to just not upgrade, same way big corps are not upgrading to 8 and didn't upgrade to vista etc...

I wasn't thinking about doing this for businesses, just home. But I do realize that this would eventually mean another branching of Windows, like in the Win32/NT kernel days. I'm not sure if I'd like that as an IT manager. So many programs and services these days are intermingled for home and business - like SharePoint, Exchange online, Office Web, XenApp, and so on. My employees like being able to do anything at home and at work without deviation.

Branching Windows with a consumer version update-capable like iOS and Android while keeping business versions the same for a longer duration would break that unified ecosphere.

This will drive complexity in application development. Since Microsoft is anti-developer already it may not change much.

The fact of the matter is this: you can't pull together a major OS revision with significant improvements every year. This means in reality, that service packs become "OS releases" and they'll just try to milk you for more $. Then as previously noted, if people get suckered into this and pay, they'll push it further and start making the whole thing a subscription based service.

I personally will never pay a subscription for an OS, office suite, or any functional piece of software. I am more than willing to part with my hard earned dollars for a physical copy of the software that I own and I can do what I want with it.

I would believe that most of the people in the world feel the same way - but I'm frankly shocked at the number of office 365 subscribers in my life - many are techie engineers who are on board with that philosophy, and call me a "dinosaur" with my CDs and physical disks and dislike of always online internet connections.

So ya - that's probably where this is all going...

Guess this means I'll be skipping 3 OS versions intead of just every other one.

Or in the case of businesses 7-10 releases if its 6-9 moths between releases.. It amazes me the illogical decisions that come from such a large company. Even as a regular consumer that is to dam much.

Shut up! Shhh! Shut!! Shut it!!!! ---- They're listening... :eek:

:D

So, they want to get closer to a Linux-style of distribution with semi-annual or annual release cycle of new OS versions?

I hope this doesn't break compatibility with existing software and doesn't give software developers (and consumers and businesses) headaches. But, if it worked for Linux, it may work for Windows.

... if Microsoft does it right.

Ugh.. Can they truely innovate on a fast release cycle? I can imagine each OS will be just like the last one with minor tweaks. It'll serve to pollute the marketplace and drive enterprise IT nuts.

Ugh.. Can they truely innovate on a fast release cycle? I can imagine each OS will be just like the last one with minor tweaks. It'll serve to pollute the marketplace and drive enterprise IT nuts.

on the other hand we won't have to wait 3 years for a simple feature that Android or iOS had for two years now because THEY incrementally update.

This.

on the other hand we won't have to wait 3 years for a simple feature that Android or iOS had for two years now because THEY incrementally update.

If you read the article in the OP, I think some are reading a bit too much into this. The idea seems to be that Microsoft is looking to deliver smaller and more targeted updates during the lifespan of Windows release. But there'd still be longer term and large releases as well. And as the integration of Windows Phone, Windows, Xbox increases, these targeted releases will allow them introduce features across the platforms.

The key thing to keep in mind about how Microsoft is thinking about OS delivery cadence, going forward, is that the company is working simultaneously on smaller, nearer-term updates, as well as bigger, longer-term ones. With Windows, Windows Phone and the Xbox One operating systems all working together in a single group (finally), further alignment of OS rollouts and subscription-based business models seems like it should be in the cards.
http://www.zdnet.com/microsofts-new-new-windows-cadence-once-a-year-is-not-enough-7000028638/

It sounds pretty common sense and nothing that Microsoft hasn't done before, I think they are just thinking about the smaller releases in a more formalized way as way to introduce new capabilities across more devices on a shorter time table than just waiting 2.5 to 3 years for the major next Windows release.

Just be ready for more bugs. Glad I'm not in IT, this will make more work for them.

Just to show how bad its got. The last update windows 8.1 update. I had to create "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\System Tools". If the update didn't see System Tools it would throw error 80070002.

Yeah its got that bad. And they want to do a release each year. Good luck with that.

I don't see any sense in this. Wouldn't this result in hardware and application developers having to support a ton of different OS, and either they will pass the additional cost on to the consumers or cut corners and result in worse driver and software support.

I don't see many users of businesses wanting to spend on a new OS that frequent either.

One of the biggest reasons why I didn't wanna mess with Linux more heavily was because it annoyed me that most of the bigger distros were on a very rapid release cycle which made it kinda a pain to download a new ISO, burn a DVD or write it to a thumb drive, backup all my stuff, reinstall, and move back in constantly. If Microsoft starts doing the same thing, it makes them not have a longevity advantage over Linux and that, for me and my home computers, makes it start to not outweigh the cost of buying new operating systems. Add to that the future cloud-connected stuff MS is talking about and the inability to operate offline and I'm really looking a lot more closely at having only one laptop with Windows and the rest will be running Linux or something else instead of how it is now which is the exact opposite.

I'm okay with paying a subscription for the OS.

Businesses aren't.

Not to mention the non-internet connected systems that the OS needs to run on. I just don't see software as a service working well on disconnected systems. The assumption in development circles is that everything is going to be connected to the internet.

Businesses aren't.

Not to mention the non-internet connected systems that the OS needs to run on. I just don't see software as a service working well on disconnected systems. The assumption in development circles is that everything is going to be connected to the internet.

A lot of small business will be fine with subscription. A lot of companies dont use custom software but are ever expanding and subscription allows them to do that whilst keeping everyone on the same platform.

I now tell all my small business customers to take up Office 365 subscriptions as it means you don't have Tom on 2003, Val on 2007, Bill on 2010 and the new girl having to have the old Office XP box.

As for non-internet connected...I'm sure there would be a perfectly viable solution to those machines as I'm sure they are in roles that rarely need updating such as running industrial plant.

As for the rest? Well any PC without internet is pretty limited not to mention rare.

This is 2014 remember not 1998.

Well, I have a huge selection of Linux distros to choose when that happens. I have many computers, and I won't be paying subscription to most of them. Maybe the gaming box.

A lot of small business will be fine with subscription. A lot of companies dont use custom software but are ever expanding and subscription allows them to do that whilst keeping everyone on the same platform.

I now tell all my small business customers to take up Office 365 subscriptions as it means you don't have Tom on 2003, Val on 2007, Bill on 2010 and the new girl having to have the old Office XP box.

As for non-internet connected...I'm sure there would be a perfectly viable solution to those machines as I'm sure they are in roles that rarely need updating such as running industrial plant.

As for the rest? Well any PC without internet is pretty limited not to mention rare.

This is 2014 remember not 1998.

I work for a small/mid size company and I can't tell you enough just how wrong you are. And if your talking about ma and pa shops the upgrades alone would probably cause enough issues each time to become a nightmare without dedicated IT staff. Pushing updates out just to hit a faster release cycle doesn't help anyone.

Businesses aren't.

As an academic institution we pay $95 per year per system (pretty much single user per system) for Windows upgrade + Office + Visual Studio. So I guess we are already under the subscription model.

I work for a small/mid size company and I can't tell you enough just how wrong you are. And if your talking about ma and pa shops the upgrades alone would probably cause enough issues each time to become a nightmare without dedicated IT staff. Pushing updates out just to hit a faster release cycle doesn't help anyone.

Well then how come my real life experience shows different? I've done it. It works.

Switching many services and software to subscription has made it easier for a lot of my customers. If a new member of staff arrives they dont have to go out and buy another copy of Office 2013 Small Business, they just add another user to the subscription list and off they go. They maybe call me in once a year to handle any issue such as upgrades.

IT is a major part of their business now. Most can't function without it. It's as important as plant and fleet. A lot of companies are still thinking that IT is free or a begrudging cost. They are wrong. I make it one of my first tasks with a new customer to educate them that their new £300000 delivery fleet will be rendered useless if they don't spend at least £500 replacing that old 2002 Dell Inspiron the whole company runs off. It's a critical part of your running costs and should be factored as such

Its really not that hard.

Well then how come my real life experience shows different? I've done it. It works.

Switching many services and software to subscription has made it easier for a lot of my customers. If a new member of staff arrives they dont have to go out and buy another copy of Office 2013 Small Business, they just add another user to the subscription list and off they go. They maybe call me in once a year to handle any issue such as upgrades.

IT is a major part of their business now. Most can't function without it. It's as important as plant and fleet. A lot of companies are still thinking that IT is free or a begrudging cost. They are wrong. I make it one of my first tasks with a new customer to educate them that their new £300000 delivery fleet will be rendered useless if they don't spend at least £500 replacing that old 2002 Dell Inspiron the whole company runs off. It's a critical part of your running costs and should be factored as such

Sorry but I live in reality being an admin/engineer that handles two such companies. IT is not an asset, its a necessary liability and if you think anyone in their right mind would go for the cost to test, upgrade, train and implement personalized business applications on a 6 month or yearly basis your nuts. And I'd gather 95% of the businesses are like that. Also, who said anything about replacing ancient hardware?

Sorry but I live in reality being an admin/engineer that handles two such companies. IT is not an asset, its a necessary liability and if you think anyone in their right mind would go for the cost to test, upgrade, train and implement personalized business applications on a 6 month or yearly basis your nuts. And I'd gather 95% of the businesses are like that. Also, who said anything about replacing ancient hardware?

You didnt read a word I said did you. I think someone is just scared of being made obsolete.

A lot of small to medium companies do not have custom software. Most if not all of mine run standard apps. Sage/Office/Outlook/AutoCAD etc. etc.

Now I agree custom software is a liability...best avoided if possible and most of mine seem to manage that. Subsciption is not to be ignored. It really can make life so much easier for the customer..but I know that's not good for some IT folks as it puts them out of a job and gives me a new customer.

You didnt read a word I said did you. I think someone is just scared of being made obsolete.

A lot of small to medium companies do not have custom software. Most if not all of mine run standard apps. Sage/Office/Outlook/AutoCAD etc. etc.

Now I agree custom software is a liability...best avoided if possible and most of mine seem to manage that. Subsciption is not to be ignored. It really can make life so much easier for the customer..but I know that's not good for some IT folks as it puts them out of a job and gives me a new customer.

You don't have a clue do you...or you've never worked with an IT budget, did actual testing, upgrading and training. And yes most DO have custom software or 3rd party software to run businesses. What if They (3rd party vendors) don't keep up with releases? Most CEO/CFO's would laugh you out of the company for wasting unnecessary money. And WTF to be scared of being obsolete it would do just the opposite and balloon budgets while needing more IT staff to test upgrade and implement so frequently...

PS: I'm done here because wwe obviously live on different planets. wow

Well okay then I'll have to accept your view of looking after two companies to my experience of looking after the IT for around two dozen small to medium companies in my city.

I'm adapting to the new world, you'll have to at some point. I guess you are the guy that looks after the old single piece of custom software that is no longer supported and is a millstone round the neck of the company but you've made a career out of keeping it going. Seen a lot of those in my time.

Oh yes and I was also a IT project Manager for a worldwide financial firm, in which I managed budgets and used QA testing etc. etc. Also I used to train all the Mobile Field staff in how to use laptops/modems/Lotus Notes/Office etc. Very successfully. Again..its not that hard.

It is there to help the customer make more money, not the customer is there to give IT a job.

Well okay then I'll have to accept your view of looking after two companies to my experience of looking after the IT for around two dozen small to medium companies in my city.

I'm adapting to the new world, you'll have to at some point. I guess you are the guy that looks after the old single piece of custom software that is no longer supported and is a millstone round the neck of the company but you've made a career out of keeping it going. Seen a lot of those in my time.

Oh yes and I was also a IT project Manager for a worldwide financial firm, in which I managed budgets and used QA testing etc. etc. Also I used to train all the Mobile Field staff in how to use laptops/modems/Lotus Notes/Office etc. Very successfully. Again..its not that hard.

It is there to help the customer make more money, not the customer is there to give IT a job.

That's two companies at my current job. You must have worked for companies that had IT money to burn. Not like that in the US or real world. I should also mention that I work for an ISP that offers Gigabit fiber Internet, IPTV, VOIP/POTS phone and web services. We are pretty much on the cutting edge of everything including network vm's, clustering, etc. having to be up 24/7/365. Personally I think your full of shit.

So they expect people to use their rapidly obsolete console hardware for a DECADE before replacing it with a new model, but want us to upgrade our OS every year?

Don't make me slap that crack pipe out of your mouth MS. Don't make crappy OS interfaces that nobody likes and you won't have problems with people sticking with old operating systems with an iron grip. And face the fact that if console hardware can last a decade, people can get great long term use out of their desktops these days too, and people aren't inclined to fix what aint broken.

MS has committed to supporting their operating systems for approximately a decade in the recent past. Examples:

Vista - released 2006, extended support ends 2017
7 - released 2009, extended support ends 2020
8 - released 2012, extended support ends 2023

XP was a notable exception due to its overwhelming popularity for both businesses and home users. There is some debate over whether or not Service Packs represent new operating systems or just massive patches, but in any case MS supports their software for a decade plus as it is.

I'm not necessarily against them moving up the timetable on OS releases (Apple already does a fairly quick release cycle for OS X versions) if they are able to continue to provide the support necessary for older versions and they are able to release the new versions in a decent working condition. Their track record on this is very much like the Star Trek movie franchise, where every other movie tends to not be particularly great, with the notable exception of the JJ Abrams reboots - the debate is still open about them.

Are end users that much smarter in England? I do not see this working out particularly well in the US. Our user base here seems to primarily consist of the lower rung of the technically capable ladder. In my experience, anyway...

I think it is primarily a matter of budgeting and projections. I have recommended the subscription service to companies where they will have a number of temporary staff for a fixed time frame and for other companies that do not want to shell out $3 - 400 every couple years for professional versions of Office. If a company intends to utilize a software suite for a 5 year plus timeline, I think they are probably better off just buying the software outright as the annualized cost should be less than the comparable subscription.

Most of the places that I have worked with purchase their operating systems on the PC from an OEM, run the hardware for a 5 - 10 year period, then replace it when something as calamitous as the Windows XP demise happens. There is an argument to be made that they should invest a smaller amount annually on their IT needs rather than a larger lump-sum every half-decade or decade, but that kind of forward thinking seems to have been left out of the modern business school curriculum.

Back