[Speculative] Windows 8.2 arriving in Autumn 2014

octoberasian

2[H]4U
http://www.fudzilla.com/home/item/34558-windows-82-likely-in-autumn

Windows 8.2 will be a Service Pack release for Windows 8.1 and will include features promised at the BUILD conference earlier this year but not found in Windows 8.1 Update 1. This will include a new Start Menu, which combines the icon-based menu of Windows 7 with a Windows Phone-inspired Live Tile bar.
Take it with a grain of salt the size of a VW Beetle. The information was taken from WZOR, a Russian pirate group.

Windows 8.2 is supposed to be the final update to Windows 8 before Windows 9 is released in 2015, supposedly. WZOR is unsure whether or not Windows 9 will be a free update/upgrade to Windows 8/free release, or a discounted release for existing Windows 8 users.
The new software will probably give hints about what will be inside Windows 9. The rumour comes from the Russian pirate group WZOR which claims to be in possession of critical information regarding Microsoft's planned release schedule. Windows 8.2 is expected to be the last update to the Windows 8 family, with the next launch being Windows 9 and bringing with it even more serious changes to the divisive user interface first introduced in Windows 8.

"with the next launch being Windows 9 and bringing with it even more serious changes to the divisive user interface first introduced in Windows 8"

so for anyone who doesn't already have Windows 8 the better move would be to just wait for Windows 9...what's taking so long for MS to release 8.2 with the new Start menu?...a better move would be to release 8.2 in the May-July time period

Going off the leak a few months ago about the next Windows version coming this fall, and the vagueness of the information on the new Start Menu, I believe it.

Terry Myerson said at Build that it would be an update to 8.1 and gave enough of a demo to see what it will look like. And he specifically said that this wasn't about the next major version of Windows. The delivery date wasn't given but a fall release makes sense, I'm sure the pressure is on to get this out sooner rather than latter especially with retail sales of 7 coming to an end this fall.

What is truly vague is the scope of this update. Will it be mostly the Start Menu and windowed modern apps or will there be something else substantial? I'm thinking Microsoft would like to add some sort of goodie to make 8 more appealing to desktop users beyond what many consider simply adding back what should have already been there. There's been talk of multiple desktops finally getting in the box. If for no other reason some nice new major feature would be nice as people make the point what took so long with the Start Menu.

... There's been talk of multiple desktops finally getting in the box. If for no other reason some nice new major feature would be nice as people make the point what took so long with the Start Menu.

Multiple desktops baked right into Windows would be a nice feature and you wouldn't have to resort to third party software. It'll give Windows something that Linux-distros has had natively built-in for years.

I don't think there should be any question that Windows 9 will be a paid update from Windows 8, with an early adopter's discount for the first few months.

Multiple desktops baked right into Windows would be a nice feature and you wouldn't have to resort to third party software. It'll give Windows something that Linux-distros has had natively built-in for years.

Optional, please. I've loaded Linux for a few people, and they've landed on a different desktop and couldn't find their open app... Really easy once you know how to use it, but so is the Start Screen. I'd love to have that feature available to me natively, though.

I don't think there should be any question that Windows 9 will be a paid update from Windows 8, with an early adopter's discount for the first few months.

then why give it a new name?...it'll just be Windows 8.3

True. Microsoft has said in the past that they've tried to implement multiple desktops but that it caused a good deal of confusion for and users to Ur_Mom's point. I've tried tons of multiple desktop tools for Windows and even tried it out on Linux some years ago and just never cared for it much. But a geeky desktop feature like this done well would help make the case, if only on paper, that Windows 8 is a solid desktop OS.

then why give it a new name?...it'll just be Windows 8.3
Most people believe Microsoft wants to move away from "Windows 8" as soon as possible, but a minor upgrade (8.1 or 8.2) isn't a big enough change to justify the new name. Windows 9 will be another major overhaul like the previous OSes have been.

Last edited:
According to Mary Jo Foley at ZDNet we could see the next update as soon as August. It will include the new Start Menu but she's saying she's being told that windowed modern apps probably won't make into this release:http://www.zdnet.com/microsofts-new-new-windows-cadence-once-a-year-is-not-enough-7000028638/

I guess that makes sense as the Start Menu is a much higher priority but it would be nice for these changes to go together. But if this is just 3 months away we should be hearing more soon. Wzor was pretty good at leaking 8.1 Update but with Microsoft going after that Windows 8 leaker he Wzor might be less leaky.

I hope not. It should at least be free on the devices for which MS is giving the OS for free to the OEMs (7-9" tablets). My Dell Venue 8 Pro better be getting Windows 9, but there's no way I'm paying for it. I can get iOS 7.1 and Android 4.4 for free for my devices in similar form factors, and even Mac OS 10.9 for free on my work desktop. Why should I have to pay for Windows 9 on a device of the same class as my other tablets when the OS updates for those tablets are free and always have been? MS isn't going to get much traction charging people to update the OS on their tablets unless they bring something absolutely amazing to the table with it.

True. Microsoft has said in the past that they've tried to implement multiple desktops but that it caused a good deal of confusion for and users to Ur_Mom's point. I've tried tons of multiple desktop tools for Windows and even tried it out on Linux some years ago and just never cared for it much. But a geeky desktop feature like this done well would help make the case, if only on paper, that Windows 8 is a solid desktop OS.

The funny thing is Win32 has had multiple desktop support in it for years (maybe a decade?), it was just never surfaced in any UI or used in Explorer. It's the same for NTFS, tons of features (like junction/reparse points) that are not user visible. The features that do get exposed, like shadow copies in 'previous versions', are done in such a clunky way that no one uses them.

I hope not. It should at least be free on the devices for which MS is giving the OS for free to the OEMs (7-9" tablets). My Dell Venue 8 Pro better be getting Windows 9, but there's no way I'm paying for it. I can get iOS 7.1 and Android 4.4 for free for my devices in similar form factors, and even Mac OS 10.9 for free on my work desktop. Why should I have to pay for Windows 9 on a device of the same class as my other tablets when the OS updates for those tablets are free and always have been? MS isn't going to get much traction charging people to update the OS on their tablets unless they bring something absolutely amazing to the table with it.

Because those devices make money on hardware, not software. Android is free, and Apple has huge profit margins (the highest) on its hardware. The only reason Win8 was made free for small devices is MS was losing marketshare, and they are willing to take the loss. Windows Phone updates have been free, so there's a good chance major RT upgrades will be free too. But not Windows.

Because those devices make money on hardware, not software. Android is free, and Apple has huge profit margins (the highest) on its hardware. The only reason Win8 was made free for small devices is MS was losing marketshare, and they are willing to take the loss. Windows Phone updates have been free, so there's a good chance major RT upgrades will be free too. But not Windows.

Sure, but that's not what the average consumer is going to want to hear in 2015 when everyone else's tablets from 2013 are still getting free OS updates. PCs are a different ballgame entirely, but on tablets (RT or not) I hope Windows 9 arrives as a free update.

Most would probably expect that if x86 Windows was free for the device that it came on then upgrades to new major Windows versions would also be free.

Sure, but that's not what the average consumer is going to want to hear in 2015 when everyone else's tablets from 2013 are still getting free OS updates.

This isn't universally true, a lot of Android devices never see an official OS upgrade after they are released

PCs are a different ballgame entirely, but on tablets (RT or not) I hope Windows 9 arrives as a free update.

For the 9" and smaller devices I would expect this to be the case. But I could see Windows 9 being a free upgrade for all Windows 8 users.

New article on PCWorld that say something similar.

The new Start Menu will be part of Windows 8.1 Update 2. The Start menu/screen will be dependent on if the device has a touch interface.

Microsoft may also launching a Cloud based version of Windows.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2146...e-cloud-based-windows-to-debut-this-fall.html

I can't find the original article anymore but it was rumored a few years ago that Windows 8 before it was released was going to be a subscription-based cloud OS, something to go up against ChromiumOS in small notebooks and eventually desktop PCs. It would have happened for Windows 8 or the next version after, but eventually-- supposedly if going by the article-- Microsoft wanted future versions of Windows to move into a subscription model just like what is happening with Office 365.

But, can you imagine something like Windows 10 becoming subscription-based and a cloud OS?

Imagine something along the lines of...
  • Basic - $99/year
  • Professional - $120/year
  • Server - $500/yr (?) and up
... with OneDrive integration, rolling updates a la Linux (they're already planning on expedited release schedule, this is the next logical step), and full XBL and media services.

It honestly would not surprise me that Windows will move there within ten years from now in a future iteration of Windows. If no one is happy about this direction, just look at the growing number of cloud-based services going on right now from media streaming to operating systems and file storage. Outside of ChromiumOS, this is probably the next logical step to bring in more revenue to companies and jump onto the cloud-based bandwagon.

If no one likes it, then you better hope that Linux-based distros pick up the pace in both usability, software proliferation, and even gaming within ten years.

I can't find the original article anymore but it was rumored a few years ago that Windows 8 before it was released was going to be a subscription-based cloud OS, something to go up against ChromiumOS in small notebooks and eventually desktop PCs. It would have happened for Windows 8 or the next version after, but eventually-- supposedly if going by the article-- Microsoft wanted future versions of Windows to move into a subscription model just like what is happening with Office 365.

But, can you imagine something like Windows 10 becoming subscription-based and a cloud OS?

• Basic - $99/year
... with OneDrive integration, rolling updates a la Linux (they're already planning on expedited release schedule, this is the next logical step), and full XBL and media services.

It honestly would not surprise me that Windows will move there within ten years from now in a future iteration of Windows. If no one is happy about this direction, just look at the growing number of cloud-based services going on right now from media streaming to operating systems and file storage. Outside of ChromiumOS, this is probably the next logical step to bring in more revenue to companies and jump onto the cloud-based bandwagon.

If no one likes it, then you better hope that Linux-based distros pick up the pace in both usability, software proliferation, and even gaming within ten years.

Did the get rid of standalone Office when they introduced Office 365? No? Then the same thing will happen with Windows. Both a standalone and cloud-based version will be offered.

• Basic - $99/year

I think this would be innovative but it would also force you to use their latest version, even if you hate it. Imagine if everyone was forced to use Windows 8? Many of us would abandon our PCs. Hopefully they still offer stand-alone versions so we can stick with what we like, even though I know Microsoft hates it.

Back