PC Relocation project

Red Squirrel

[H]F Junkie
One downside of Linux is lack of proper 3 monitor support so I have this makeshift setup using a separate machine running the two side monitors and main machine running the middle one, I kinda grown to like that setup because I can restart the main machine without losing the stuff that's open on the two other monitors. Multi monitors can also be annoying where when you open an app it can open on any monitor instead of the one you actually opened the app from. Windows is bad for that too. So having the main machine be single solves lot of these flakiness issues, but I still have my 3 monitors. So it's the best of both worlds.

Synergy allows me to move the mouse to the other monitors and control stuff just like it was a regular multi monitor setup. I have synergy setup in windows too so even in windows I can move the mouse over to the Linux monitors.

Unfortunately this meant two PCs. More heat, more dust, more noise, and barely no leg room. Solution? Moving both boxes to my server room!

http://imgur.com/a/L3amT

Bought some 25' DVI, USB and audio cables. Eventually I'll convert both boxes to rackmount. I'll also add some terminal blocks on the cases for the power, reset, LEDs etc so I can run another cable upstairs and have a little panel I can turn on/off from upstairs.

The first thing I notice is how it's colder in my office now, it might actually be a bad thing since now I have to run the heat a bit more to compensate. Though, it's soooo quiet. Will be even better once I insulate the server room. For heat I can always add a damper so the hot aisle air goes to the office, too.

Eventually I will build a big desk with cable management in mind so I can lay out the extra slack and make it look all nice. Just threw it together for now.

No issues with video either, no weird artifacts or anything like that. I even tried a UT3 match with no issues. Crazy all the spare cabling I pulled out too. I'm convinced cables under a desk pro create somehow lol.

You could have just bought quieter cases. :D

But nice work nonetheless!

Back