Windows XP no ineternet with LAN access

I'm wondering if there is a way to block an XP machine from seeing/being seen from the internet nut still have full access to the LAN?

Depending on your networking gear (router/firewall) it's as easy as setting up an access rule to block any communication from outside the LAN from accessing that machine and vice versa.

It would have to have a static LAN IP first though.

If you're using a router with DD-WRT you may find a tab called Access Restrictions. There your're able to block computers by MAC address, address or IP range to access the WAN interface. As you can see on the screenshot below.

20u3jh3.png

Could also just set the IP address manually and not enter a default gateway (assuming the network is all on the same subnet)

Home network? Work network?

There's several different ways it can be done

Its a work network. There is one machine in the print shop that controls the big Konica printer and it runs on XP. There is no reason for it to have internet access nut systems on the LAN need to access it.

Thanks for the suggestions! I have one more Windows 7 machine to deploy and then I can concentrate on that machine.

Stupid question here, as long as it's on the same subnet, would it matter if the IP is a 169.254.x.x? I need to make sure that the graphic arts people can still send stuff to the printer and it is shared from the machine I'm trying to isolate.

Thanks again everyone!

Back