RockYou Buys Three Playdom Games from Disney

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
RockYou, the social game publisher, is becoming something of a recycler of late. The recycling consists of purchasing games that are about to be shut down for being past their prime or not as profitable as the parent company requires. Latest acquisition: Three games from the Disney Playdom Division.

Gaming has been plagued by companies that are one-hit wonders. We are picking up games that are past their apex and can still be operated profitably with users who play every day.”

Maybe this is what it takes to save dying MMO's.

If you ran each MMO server as a VM, you could cram a bunch of mostly-empty MMO's onto a single physical server and save them from complete death.
It won't really save the MMO in the long term, unless they also do updates to keep it fresh, but atleast it lets the MMO die a natural death instead of having the plug pulled suddenly

While I applaud a company trying to save these games from death... I wish they had appeared sooner.

NCSoft has murdered a few decent MMOs over the years, even stuff that still had a decent member count. I wonder if they could've saved City of Heroes or Tabula Rasa...

Back