Microsoft Extends Windows 8.1 Update Migration Deadline

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Microsoft has extended the migration deadline for business users of Windows 8.1 for an additional three months. End using consumers however, are still warned to make the move within the next month.

If users of Windows 8.1 do not upgrade to Win8.1U within the limited time frame, they will not receive further security fixes.

I would've hoped they extended that a bit more, there's a nasty bug with LSI SAS2 drivers that makes systems unable to boot once the update is installed.

I would've hoped they extended that a bit more, there's a nasty bug with LSI SAS2 drivers that makes systems unable to boot once the update is installed.

This is why I'm staying put on Windows 8.0 until Windows 9.

This is why the world is a better place when companies don't waste their time forcing stupid updates on their customers and then setting deadlines for installing them.

This is why the world is a better place when companies don't waste their time forcing stupid updates on their customers and then setting deadlines for installing them.

This is no different than the way Service Packs work. After a certain point you're not supported without the update.The timeline here is probably too short though when compared to historical norms though.

Why are you running SAS on a consumer operating system?

Problem is that they (nor any other company) can support everything forever. They have to set set dates at which point they will stop patching older versions of an OS. Trying to keep up on any security flaw for vista, vista sp1, vista sp2, window 7, window 7 sp1, windows 8, windows 8.1 and windows 8.1U takes a lot more time and money then just looking at vista sp2, windows 7 sp1 and windows 8.1u.

They need to fix the update so it can install without giving an error.
Going on nearly 2 weeks now without a fix.

Why not?

There are several SAS drive bay caddies out there. You use SAS to connect the caddy, and then plug a bunch of SATA drives into the bays. One cable instead of 3 or more.

Just because a workstation has an LSI SAS controller does not mean it's using SAS drives, the one causing us problems is loaded with SATA.

This specific issue not only affects 8.1, but also Server 2012 R2, we have one brand new Supermicro server that can't even install 2012 R2 with update, installed regular 2012 R2 just fine, but BSOD as soon as update 1 is installed, just like the 8.1 workstation.

It's not like we can just skip the update either since it's mandatory, so I hope there's a solution soon.

So while I agree that consumer hardware is unlikely to have an LSI SAS controller, it's not that uncommon on workstations and servers.

This is no different than the way Service Packs work. After a certain point you're not supported without the update.The timeline here is probably too short though when compared to historical norms though.
If this is no different from service packs than why the heck isn't MS supporting it like they do with service packs?
What is the support policy for Windows service packs? Support ends 24 months after the next service pack releases or at the end of the product's support lifecycle, whichever comes first. If you are using software without the latest service pack you won't be offered any new security or non-security updates, although preexisting updates will continue to be offered. Refer to the Service Pack Lifecycle Support Policy for further information.

From all the news about this subject it gives the impression that you have to update now or you will never receive updates (which is absurd). I know MS wants all users to freak out.

But no articles says that you can install this update any time (regardless of deadline), it's just you will not get other updates past deadline until you install this update.

I mean, come on....there are countless sealed laptops and install discs that will be bought after the deadline. All the articles I read imply that those will not be updated past deadline.

Yea this update fails. Funny how win 8.0 will get updates still. Someone said extending boot partition fixes but you'd need as third party software to try

From an old-school computing standpoint, windows 8 is absolutely unfit for corporate use. Every windows 8 machine pretty much has a blackbox in it I cant touch or control.

From an old-school computing standpoint, windows 8 is absolutely unfit for corporate use. Every windows 8 machine pretty much has a blackbox in it I cant touch or control.

In corporate environments though, black boxes are often a good thing. Where I work, NO ONE gets admin rights on their personal devices without signoff near the top. That said, modern app development has locked out of lot stuff that it probably shouldn't have. With 8.1 Update 1, sideloading has become much easier and more powerful. Sideloaded apps now can use desktop C# DLLs for instance which instantly makes a lot of enterprise development easier as it's now possible to consume a C# data layer that's connected to an RDBMS. I just played with the ability and now it's possible to get the actually battery life on a device to show up a modern apps. HURRAY!!!

I never have actually understood why there's no way to get the battery status directly in a modern app. Microsoft will have to continue to open up the Windows RT API and make it more friendly with desktop APIs. But I do think caution is in order. We've seen the consequences of things being wide open in Windows and the results have been horrific. And everyday we're seeing more and more issues with Android and malware on it. Openness is great until it causes problems.

In corporate environments though, black boxes are often a good thing. Where I work, NO ONE gets admin rights on their personal devices without signoff near the top. That said, modern app development has locked out of lot stuff that it probably shouldn't have. With 8.1 Update 1, sideloading has become much easier and more powerful. Sideloaded apps now can use desktop C# DLLs for instance which instantly makes a lot of enterprise development easier as it's now possible to consume a C# data layer that's connected to an RDBMS. I just played with the ability and now it's possible to get the actually battery life on a device to show up a modern apps. HURRAY!!!

So if the CEO says he wants admin rights on his computer so he can install angry birds for his kids to play, are you going to say no?

The side-loading situation is still unacceptable until it is available for everyone and as such, I will continue to use it as a black mark against Windows 8. As it is, only large corporations can make use of it while SMBs and individuals cannot.

I never have actually understood why there's no way to get the battery status directly in a modern app. Microsoft will have to continue to open up the Windows RT API and make it more friendly with desktop APIs. But I do think caution is in order. We've seen the consequences of things being wide open in Windows and the results have been horrific. And everyday we're seeing more and more issues with Android and malware on it. Openness is great until it causes problems.

Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

So if the CEO says he wants admin rights on his computer so he can install angry birds for his kids to play, are you going to say no?

Not really sure what you point is here as I stated in my post that exceptions to our no admin rule can be obtained with high-level signoff, which I guess includes our CEO.

The side-loading situation is still unacceptable until it is available for everyone and as such, I will continue to use it as a black mark against Windows 8. As it is, only large corporations can make use of it while SMBs and individuals cannot.

It is available to everyone, for a price at least. I think it's $100 for unlimited sideloading for any Windows 8 device.

Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Except that in the Windows world we have a lot of experience of what happens when everyone can do anything on a Windows box. That's simply not acceptable particularly in a business environment.

Not really sure what you point is here as I stated in my post that exceptions to our no admin rule can be obtained with high-level signoff, which I guess includes our CEO.

And the CEO is going to be the last person who you want to have administrative access because they are the ones least likely to know what they are doing when it comes to computers. Therefore your entire security plan has been reduced to rubble because security is only as strong as the weakest link.

It is available to everyone, for a price at least. I think it's $100 for unlimited sideloading for any Windows 8 device.

Right and Enterprise customers with SA don't have to pay that because the side-loading is included.

I'm not going to pay Microsoft so that I can have the ability to install whatever I want on a computer that I bought with my own money. That is nothing short of extortion.

Except that in the Windows world we have a lot of experience of what happens when everyone can do anything on a Windows box. That's simply not acceptable particularly in a business environment.

You already have the facilities to lock down a Windows box voluntarily without having to resort to a mandatory walled garden.

And the CEO is going to be the last person who you want to have administrative access because they are the ones least likely to know what they are doing when it comes to computers. Therefore your entire security plan has been reduced to rubble because security is only as strong as the weakest link.

So the weakest link in our security is the CEO who can spend billions of dollars buying another company? Try again.

Right and Enterprise customers with SA don't have to pay that because the side-loading is included.

This is my understanding.

I'm not going to pay Microsoft so that I can have the ability to install whatever I want on a computer that I bought with my own money. That is nothing short of extortion.

As an individual you don't. The $100 sideloading license is for other people's machines who really don't won't every willy nilly thing installed on their PCs. If an individual wants to sideload, install a free version of Visual Studio 2013. Time and time again we know that people running PCs shoot themselves in the foot over this kind of stuff.

You already have the facilities to lock down a Windows box voluntarily without having to resort to a mandatory walled garden.

You need to see a kid use a Windows 8 tablet. I had three teenagers at the house this weekend and they installed so much crap from the Store I thank god what they weren't going out to warez sites because the machines would have been screwed up. Say what you will, there are reasons for these walled gardens.

HP support should hire you. I spent a good while getting nowhere when the update trashed my system. I subsequently learned of the problem and disabled my SAS controller on boot up, but not before returning to Windows 7 where I intend to stay for a good long while.:rolleyes:

Are you trying an update you downloaded a while ago or going to windows update to get it? Because they've updated the installer a few days ago.

With the live update, just tried it not still gives an error. MS still needs to fix it. Error 80070002. Thats after doing the steps to clean up first.

So the weakest link in our security is the CEO who can spend billions of dollars buying another company? Try again.

What does some plutocrat buying another company have to do with computer security? I would point out that you work in an industry that thought it was a good idea to put Windows XP on ATMs.

As an individual you don't. The $100 sideloading license is for other people's machines who really don't won't every willy nilly thing installed on their PCs. If an individual wants to sideload, install a free version of Visual Studio 2013. Time and time again we know that people running PCs shoot themselves in the foot over this kind of stuff.

Developers licenses aren't allowed to be used for sideloading; only for testing. Microsoft installs spyware to make sure you don't have the audacity to use your own computer as you see fit.

You need to see a kid use a Windows 8 tablet. I had three teenagers at the house this weekend and they installed so much crap from the Store I thank god what they weren't going out to warez sites because the machines would have been screwed up. Say what you will, there are reasons for these walled gardens.

So then don't allow them unfettered access to your computers.

I have in the past. I told the CEO flat out that no i would not give him admin access to his machine. On the network, I am God, and if you dont agree, then its time for one of us to work somewhere else.

What does some plutocrat buying another company have to do with computer security?

I'm just not sure what kind of risk a CEO would pose to company by having admin rights on his laptop when the company he's running is sitting on trillions in assets. We have a policy of admin rights. The policy where I work is strictly enforced.

I would point out that you work in an industry that thought it was a good idea to put Windows XP on ATMs.

We had hundreds of thousands of Windows XP machines running all of our clients which have now all been replaced with 7, including the ATMs I believe. You may not think it, but banks, especially ones that have trillions sitting in accounts, take this stuff pretty seriously. We're were very serious about moving away from XP, much more so than many businesses.

Developers licenses aren't allowed to be used for sideloading; only for testing. Microsoft installs spyware to make sure you don't have the audacity to use your own computer as you see fit.

As a mechanism to distribute sideloaded apps sure. But for personal use there's nothing to prevent it.

So then don't allow them unfettered access to your computers.

But that's the whole point of sandboxed app store, to control access to a machine so it doesn't get compromised from a simple download. Downloading apps willy nilly is a huge issue for Windows machines because people will just install anything without a thought.

Back