AsRock Z87M Extreme4 - GPU Backplate Clearance Question

precog13

n00b
Just a quick question for those who own the AsRock Z87M Extreme4 motherboard. This is a mATX board, and there is minimal clearance above the primary PCIE slot and the back I/O block for the audio connectors. Does anyone have first hand knowledge of whether a graphics card with a backplate covering the PCB will fit in the primary PCIE slot? I don't have a good way of measuring as I am away from my rig at the moment.

I am wondering about this as I am considering purchasing either the ASUS DCU R9 290 or the Sapphire Vapor-X R9 290, both cards with a backplate attached to their PCB. I need to use the Primary PCIE slot as I will have length clearance issues in the other PCIE slots due to my case. Thanks!

umm if the slots are that close that a card with a backplate will not fit, but one without one will IMHO that is seriously crappy design, backplate gives what another cm or so of thickness barely beyond the slot where you install it.

Backplate is typically 4mm added depth. The I/O clearance is seriously close to that, certainly much less than 1 cm. Poor design or not, I am still curious if it fits. Thanks.

Back