Square Enix Is Bringing Final Fantasy III to PC

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
After 24 years, Square Enix is finally bringing Final Fantasy 3 to the PC platform according to a news leak from USK, Germany’s age rating organization. The game was originally released in 1990 in Japan and has been re-released on various platforms over years, mainly for Japanese gamers.

While Final Fantasy VII and Final Fantasy VIII already had PC ports, Final Fantasy III for PC is a new version of the game.

It's funny cause I decided to play the game on PC recently with an emulator. Higan works surprisingly well.

eh... saying "finally bringing .. to the PC platform" kind of infers that it's been a long awaited port, which I'm guessing isn't since it's only real claim to fame of it was the last NES FF game before FF4/2US eclipsed it.

But hey, S/E has been bitching that they're not going to bring games to the PC because they're scared piracy, so when they bring a 24 year old game that was remade 8 years ago into what most likely will be an exact port, and probably charge quite a bit for it, they'll be able to see sales figures and point saying "See I told you so!"

It's funny cause I decided to play the game on PC recently with an emulator. Higan works surprisingly well.

I did that with a couple of the SNES dragon quest games, ones that came out in Japan only. While they did eventually come to the US via the DS, I found it funny that someone managed to fully translate the game before a big company could do it.

hopefully steam releases and woohoo not playing this on a small screen i consider it a win

I played this game Drunk....when I turned 21 it was fun I no longer drink

With this coming, I assume it's a given that the newer versions of 4 and After Years (which run on the same engine) are coming as well. While I already own the Android versions, I'll pick em up if they release on Steam just for the benefit of cloud saving.

i played FF 3 on nintendo ds, it was ok. then they re-released it on mobile platforms, and it looked almost identical to the nds version. so my guess is that the pc version will probably look almost identical to the android version https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.square_enix.android_googleplay.FFIII_GP
i wonder how much longer they can milk these re-releases that look nearly identical to one another with hardly any effort put into them when they push them to other platforms. i guess as long as people keep buying and re-buying the same thing over and over.

i just hope they price it reasonably this time, unlike the android version.

people keep buying and re-buying the same thing over and over
There are plenty of people who haven't played the game that might enjoy it now, especially youngsters. I played it only on DS, it was a pretty solid FF experience. Nothing too memorable, except some of the music and the class system.

Still trying to make money off their old games everyone likes instead of their new games everyone hates.

This is a very nice addition, and I'll be buying it simply to support such titles on PC (as Iv'e done on Android). However, I hope that they will also release the Final Fantasy IV (3D refresh variant) on PC w/ Japanese voice as an option - it was frustrating to have it present in the Android version yet inaccessible unless you changed the full locale of Android to JP and thus all the text, UI and your entire phone would display in Japanese! Aside from that, if this FFIII remake (as well as IV, IV The After Years etc..) are the same level of quality or better (higher resolution etc..) as they were on Android, this is a great benefit.

Of course, what I've really been waiting for is the same kind of enhanced 3D remake that III and IV were given, applied to V and most of all VI . Likewise, for Xenogears. But a man can dream..

I played Final Fantasy (I) when I was 9 years old. Epic.

There *should* have only been one considering what they named it and that the company was failing nearly to the point of insolvency at the time... The fact that they keep putting more and more of them out is insulting and yet a couple of them are my favorite games pretty much of all time. Between FF7 FF8 FFX and FFXIV I've wasted a good deal of my potential in life. I find myself going back to play them again and again, trying to improve the graphics etc. Horrible addiction to love a game series so much.

It is the best of the FF series. I just played through the iOS version.

Square Enix can go to hell add fat ss I'm concerned. What they charge for the final fantasy remakes is fucking outrageous.

Wow Swype fail.

Go to hell as far as

Its okay...Google is monitoring and logging every keystroke and will have that fixed in a little while. ;)

Seriously though, it seems like the Square people keep re-releasing the same old stuff that's somehow "remastered" in HD *cue lightning bolts, dubstep, and echo effects* without making something new. Can we please get an actual final Final Fantasy and move to a fresh set of ideas?

yup, If you have the extra system and controller try making a steam box and using project ICE. Integrates your choice of emulators into steam, links the individual roms to your steam library and gives them a steam overlay as yo play. Works awesome as now I can play all my old favorite games on my tv using an xbox 360 controller.

And before the emulator no no cops come by, ICE doesn't come with emulators, that's up to you to provide.

I played Final Fantasy (I) when I was 9 years old. Epic.

There *should* have only been one considering what they named it and that the company was failing nearly to the point of insolvency at the time... The fact that they keep putting more and more of them out is insulting and yet a couple of them are my favorite games pretty much of all time.

Yes because a company that's about to fail, and then creates some IP that completely turns it all around totally should just leave it as is and see if they can create something new and possibly fail.

And I was a bit older with Final Fantasy came out, but it was so bad ass (and actually difficult at the time since the concept was a bit new to me) that I bought a SNES when FF2 came out. Yeah, they found the right formula and ran with it, although the later ones they lost their charm for what seemed like "hey look at these awesome graphics!!!"

After the misery of XIII, it's hard to imagine why anyone would care a bit about playing a new Final Fantasy on any platform.

Because each is entirely different? That's the appeal of the series; only a few mechanics carry over from game to game, if any at all, so you can hate half the series while being able to enjoy the other half.

There are plenty of people who haven't played the game that might enjoy it now, especially youngsters. I played it only on DS, it was a pretty solid FF experience. Nothing too memorable, except some of the music and the class system.

true. i guess i was thinking more about in japan. they are seemingly very loyal over there and would just buy it again, even if it looks nearly identical to the nds version. my main gripe is that they offer nothing for people who have already owned it before. not even something minor as some updated graphics or higher poly models etc. the textures look a little sharper but it basically looks the same as when the nds version came out.

Back