Powercolor 290x - $384.99 - Openbox

California tax kills this for me, but good for anyone who doesn't have to worry about that.

open box (with all those miners in mind) blah... But despite that, if I had a computer that wouldn't explode with one of these in it I probably would have gotten one.

Pretty huge price mark down for just being open box. I mean with that price you could go and buy a G10 and an H55 and still be well under what the card is normally worth (while having water cooling).

Last edited:
Those reference coolers are useless. Order that and a replacement heastink+fan or water cooling otherwise it won't last a year...

I bit on it. Reference or not, that seems like a good price to me.

I currently have a 670, and was in the market to upgrade to a 780 whenever I saw a good deal come across (new or used).

But now I am back on team red I guess.

I bit on it. Reference or not, that seems like a good price to me.

I currently have a 670, and was in the market to upgrade to a 780 whenever I saw a good deal come across (new or used).

But now I am back on team red I guess.

Good for you man. Hope you enjoy it as much as I have enjoyed my 290..If you decide you want to WC it, shoot me a PM..I have a brand new EK copper block just sitting in its box (I went with the Koolance nickel block instead).

bogus price. listed at 384.99 but once you click on it, the price goes to 412.99.

Ok I bit. I just spent 20 minutes with chat trying to get my 28.00 credit. If you go to the powercolor page then filter by 4gig memory you will see the 384.99 price for N82E16814131522R at the bottom of the list.

Those reference coolers are useless. Order that and a replacement heastink+fan or water cooling otherwise it won't last a year...

Saying a 290x won't last longer than a year with stock cooling... and they haven't even been out a year yet. Seems logical.

Noise issues aside, reference fans are great for temps. G10 is decent for core but sucks at cooling VRMs. That and it makes the card take up 3 slots, which sucks for guys like me running additional stuff on top of CF. Would make Trifire near impossible too, unless with super expensive 295X2

You gain nothing from aftermarket air coolers for 290X other than quietness. Overclocks on either ref or aftermarket are both a joke compared to wc (e.g. mild at best), so if you're looking to do that, go water or go home. The temps on these things are crazy compare to 7970s, so air isn't as great of an option as it was last gen.

Last edited:
Noise issues aside, reference fans are great for temps. G10 is decent for core but sucks at cooling VRMs. That and it makes the card take up 3 slots, which sucks for guys like me running additional stuff on top of CF. Would make Trifire near impossible too, unless with super expensive 295X2

You gain nothing from aftermarket air coolers for 290X other than quietness. Overclocks on either ref or aftermarket are both a joke compared to wc (e.g. mild at best), so if you're looking to do that, go water or go home. The temps on these things are crazy compare to 7970s, so air isn't as great of an option as it was last gen.

I agree that WC'ing was indeed meant for these puppies. My 290 flies under water (1.3/1.375Ghz) with +200 offset in TRIXX..I can actually run the core stable with just 75 offset, but the memory controller needs the extra juice since I have the 1.35V Elpida chips. If Sapphire had chosen to run them @ at the 1.5V setting, I think I could have easily gotten to 1600Mhz+. The best thing is seeing ~35C core and 40~45C VRM temperatures with my fans @ 5V (sounds like a gentle whisper).

Saying a 290x won't last longer than a year with stock cooling... and they haven't even been out a year yet. Seems logical.

I'm just making assumptions based on several experiences with buying cards with stock coolers and them running very hot.

ccityinstaller, I shot you a PM about the block if the other guys not interested. BTW, got a reference 290 here and temps are fine but omg....sounds like a leaf blower. (knew it going in, but too good a deal to pass up. $100 + the 280X Toxic I got for free)

Hey guys I have two reference 290x's and the gelid icy v2 is a decent alternative to the stock cooler. It requires a dremel (check out the youtube for it if interested) for a memory heatsink and the top vrm but over all a great cooler for around 50$ ish. Much quieter than the reference even at 100% fans and does a great job at keeping the core temps down. The vrm 2 is a little on the warmer side but still manageable and in the safe zone. If you are running crossfire with these I would suggest some nice case airflow.

Back