Pirate Bay User Hit With 5 Year Sentence

HardOCP News

[H] News
A five year suspended jail sentence for uploading a single movie to Pirate Bay? Seems fair. :rolleyes:

A man who uploaded a single movie to The Pirate Bay kickstarting South Africa's first online piracy case has been sentenced today. After striking a plea bargain with the state over what was unusually framed as a criminal rather than civil offense, the 29-year-old was handed an unprecedented five-year suspended jail sentence.

That'll teach them peons from taking money away from our second mansions.

JJS2159.jpg

“I think the way people think now digitally they don’t see piracy as piracy any more. They see it as sharing. We will definitely not get as many people to the cinemas as we would have if the film were not pirated,” Ian Gabriel said.

“At the same time, there are people who have seen the film who would never have got to the cinema. I’m pleased the film is reaching those people because there’s a message of pride and self recognition and of choice for ordinary people that the film is delivering and its important that message be heard.”

I think the majority of people are of the latter - they wouldn't have gone to see it anyway. They aren't lost sales. But, they might be new customers. If they like this, they are more likely to buy it on DVD or check out the next film by them.

Meanwhile in American, some dude gets off (rich, of course) with parole for molesting his daughter because prison wouldn't be healthy for him.

But 5 years for uploading one movie (that was also likely uploaded by hundreds, if not thousands of others) is absolutely proportionate.

We had a guy drive up, blow the other drivers head off with a shot gun, and was pulled over by the police. He got 5 years because it wasnt premeditated and he didnt resist arrest, and had no previous crimes.

The underground scene seems pretty washed up now not like it used to be.
I seen someone have a message on Altalavista saying Leave our internet Alone!!

We had a guy drive up, blow the other drivers head off with a shot gun, and was pulled over by the police. He got 5 years because it wasnt premeditated and he didnt resist arrest, and had no previous crimes.

Probably had it coming...
Some people just need killin :D

But 5 years for uploading one movie (that was also likely uploaded by hundreds, if not thousands of others) is absolutely proportionate.

Proportionate isn't part of the equation, sending a message is and that's what the Judge did.

You guys do know that a "suspended" sentence means he will not do a day in jail, right?

You guys do know that a "suspended" sentence means he will not do a day in jail, right?

Yes.
My brother has had 3 suspended sentences so far.
One for assault.
One for drunken disorderly.
One for possession of an illegal substance.
He's still a complete and total fuckup.
Really wish he'd get tossed away for a while so he could learn his actions had consequences.

Traumatize someone for life by assaulting and raping them... five years.
Share a movie you bought with someone online... five years.

Sounds legit.

Sounds legit.

Apples and Oranges Love, Apples and Oranges.

Sounds legit.

Well he never actually served time so basically all it's just a warning to be good over the next 5 years or your going to be screwed the next time you appear in court if it's the same offense.

Corporations write the law.. If they get caught stealing from millions, after a long lawsuit that makes millionaires out of lawyers, you get like, $15... You steal one thing from them, your ass goes to prison and they garnish your wages for life.

makes sense, south africa should let all the rape that they hardly investigate just happen but THEY'LL BE DAMNED if they let a few jerks online watch a stupid movie for free

makes sense, south africa should let all the rape that they hardly investigate just happen but THEY'LL BE DAMNED if they let a few jerks online watch a stupid movie for free

Damn straight! It's about time they get their priorities straight

Murder and rape is without consequence. Copyright infringement on the other hand must be stopped at any cost!! Any cost I tell you.

i didnt even know you could upload a movie to pirate bay.

i thought that it only hosted torrent files, or now, just magnet links.

Back