z77 sabertooth esata hanging during file transfer

cpaqf1

n00b
Hi,

I connected a hard drive through e-sata and whenever I'm copying files, it'll copy at 100MB/s (normal speed) for a few minutes and suddenly freeze at 0 for like a minute, then a minute later keep going. I tried a different hard drive but the same thing happened, any ideas ?

whenever this happens, the drive does the same noise it makes when I turn the PC on & off

thanks

It sounds like the power supply in your external enclosure is failing, it trips and the drive spins down, then resets and the drive spins back up.

It sounds like the power supply in your external enclosure is failing, it trips and the drive spins down, then resets and the drive spins back up.

thing is, I tried plugging it in directly into the psu and with a esata sata adapter and it still does it.

Greetings

If your trying to read data off the device and it pauses for a minute or two and then resumes it sounds like it is coming across bad blocks and is going into deep recovery mode to try to read that sector, if this is happening when you are writing data then there is some other problem.

Cheers

Greetings

If your trying to read data off the device and it pauses for a minute or two and then resumes it sounds like it is coming across bad blocks and is going into deep recovery mode to try to read that sector, if this is happening when you are writing data then there is some other problem.

Cheers

But he said it does the same thing with a different drive so its probably system related.

Back