3D Printing A Cancerous Tumor

HardOCP News

[H] News
I thought we were supposed to be coming up with ways to cure cancer, not 3D print it. :eek: As strange as it may sound, this method is both.

Cancer is one of the most serious diseases, with over 10 million new cases diagnosed worldwide each year. Despite many efforts, an inadequate understanding of tumorigenesis still hinders the development of cancer therapy [1]. Although the most effective way of studying tumors and testing anti-tumor drugs is in clinical trials, ethical and safety limitations prevent this method from being widely used. To overcome this hurdle, preclinical tumor models are often used to mimic physiological environments of tumors for tumorgenesis study and anti-cancer drug screening.

I assumed the title was a quote from some company afraid it's products were obsolete. Pleasantly surprised. :)

Why not just 3D print someone a new damn kidney?

I bet thats where 3D printing is ultimately heading. Theres a food 3D printer on the way (if you can really call that food) so actual uses like in medicine cant be far behind. I would imagine things like 3d printed skin or replacement bones will come long before organs.

Recreating the problem is fundamental to solving it. Not sure if this is the best way but trying doesn't hurt either.

I bet thats where 3D printing is ultimately heading. Theres a food 3D printer on the way (if you can really call that food) so actual uses like in medicine cant be far behind. I would imagine things like 3d printed skin or replacement bones will come long before organs.

They already printed a vagina for a woman and implanted it...

Its actually fairly exciting technology, kinda hope that within the next 50 years, we will be able to 3D print a whole new set of internal organs, imagine replacing, heart/liver/lung disease by just popping in* a new 3D printed one :D

*am absolutely aware its more complex than that.

Few hundred years from now, don't like your body? We'll 3D print you a brand new one, complete with 8-pack abs and a few more inches down there.

Back